Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've seen a bunch of great vids on youtube from a helmet cam where you can hear audio from the rider. What are they using?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Must go with the GoPro. I am trying out the new Drift Ghost S.
IMO it's made for helmet use; easy to move around, aerodynamic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My friend uses a drift hd since you can plug a mic into it. I use the gopro and figure no one wants to hear me talk anyways.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a contour roam2 that I got on ebay for $150. The mic catches the wind so I soldiered in an external mic I pulled from a crappy dead home phone. It works great and is mounted inside the helmet. I liked the look of the contour best. Much less obtrusive than the go pro, plus it was cheap and works great. My main problem is that my laptop is so old it cant handle any modern video editing software. :p

Daniel

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a contour roam2 that I got on ebay for $150. The mic catches the wind so I soldiered in an external mic I pulled from a crappy dead home phone. It works great and is mounted inside the helmet. I liked the look of the contour best. Much less obtrusive than the go pro, plus it was cheap and works great. My main problem is that my laptop is so old it cant handle any modern video editing software. :p

Daniel
I picked up the discontinued Contour Roam (the model that preceded the Roam2) about 14 months ago for $110, and love it. Like 1962 says, the size and shape are great, very compact. Mine's mounted on the fork tube below the top triple clamp, makes for a cool video as you can see the front wheel react to bumps, etc. But like 1962 also says, the audio is pretty crappy.

Unfortunately, Contour went out of business last year, so getting replacement parts (the battery in mine is not user-replaceable) will be problematic.

FWIW, if I had the money to spend on a nice camera I'd get a GoPro.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I did a lot of research when I purchased my action cam. In the end I went with the Drift HD Ghost over the GoPro.

* You can swivel the lens so the camera need not be square on the mounting to get proper video orientation
* It's already water proof so you don't need a plastic case - which distorts the lens
* It has a wrist strap remote to turn it on or off remotely.
* A viewing screen and push buttons are accessible. In the water proof case GoPro's are not.
* External mic
* It has a feature where you can capture the last 10 minutes of video as a rolling video You hit record and it include the last 10 minute onto your current recording - a really nice feature. For example: You see an accident you hit record and you get the last 10 minutes leading up to the accident.
* It's aerodynamic. The GoPro is like a barn door.

No doubt GoPro's are nice. But if you look at the features the Drift is a much better camera for motorcycles.

Drift Ghost | Drift Action Cameras

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Since my post about the Garmin Virb I've read a bad review of it's image quality so it is out for me.

FJRIder's link said the Drift for sound, GoPro for image; image is what I care about and I don't want to helmet mount the cam so aerodynamics aren't a biggie for me.

A good review of the Hero 3+ The Best Action Camera | The Wirecutter

This is alarming:
Amazon.com: A. Johnston's review of GoPro HERO3+: Black Edition
But it seems an early production issue with that model that has been taken care of.

Heh, confusing, and I should be outside exercising instead of reading reviews of action cams....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can't go wrong with either the GoPro or Drift Ghost. I went with the
Drift with the included remote. Added microphone and for exhaust
sound do "The Marthy", put microphone in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I picked up the discontinued Contour Roam (the model that preceded the Roam2) about 14 months ago for $110, and love it. Like 1962 says, the size and shape are great, very compact. Mine's mounted on the fork tube below the top triple clamp, makes for a cool video as you can see the front wheel react to bumps, etc. But like 1962 also says, the audio is pretty crappy.

Unfortunately, Contour went out of business last year, so getting replacement parts (the battery in mine is not user-replaceable) will be problematic.

FWIW, if I had the money to spend on a nice camera I'd get a GoPro.
Contour went out of business??? Darn, I had one of their first models. Still works, but I hate the way the mic pics up wind. Guess its time to go GoPro, but I'm gonna wait till NAB this year before I buy. They usually have new tech for NAB.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts