Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new fz09 on 8 days ago! Hit the 150 mile mark last night. I want to order some frame sliders/tip over protection but I really have no idea what's good and what's not, I've always been an off-road racer so these are new to me. Was thinking about an Oes kit, less then 150 for a complete set, thought that seemed resonable.

2014 FZ-09 Frame Sliders

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I'll be ordering my Oes kit tommorow! Anyone have any recommendations for radiator guards? Better to buy or make your own?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
My preference is for Woodcraft. Only issue with them is that they don't yet make fork sliders, only frame and swingarm spool.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've also got the OES kit, and was happy with it, until my local dealer saw them and lowered my confidence...

He recommended that I remove them. Says I'm better off without any frame sliders, because frame sliders can damage the frame. He said, from his experience with post crash bikes, it's easier to replace a cracked engine cover, than to replace a frame.

Any thoughts/comments?

·
Registered
570 Posts
My preference is for Woodcraft. Only issue with them is that they don't yet make fork sliders, only frame and swingarm spool.

Woodcraft has been making great stuff for a long time, I'd lean towards that company (and Stoltec as the supplier) myself...

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I think your dealer is an idiot. Without frame sliders, what slides across the ground? Your frame. What happens when you scratch a frame? Bike is totaled.

Ive yet to see a quality slider damage a frame. I have seen plenty of unprotected frames total a bike however.

Id find another dealer.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I've also got the OES kit, and was happy with it, until my local dealer saw them and lowered my confidence...

He recommended that I remove them. Says I'm better off without any frame sliders, because frame sliders can damage the frame. He said, from his experience with post crash bikes, it's easier to replace a cracked engine cover, than to replace a frame.

Any thoughts/comments?
See above

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think your dealer is an idiot. Without frame sliders, what slides across the ground? Your frame. What happens when you scratch a frame? Bike is totaled.

Ive yet to see a quality slider damage a frame. I have seen plenty of unprotected frames total a bike however.

Id find another dealer.
I was hoping for an answer like that, that was my inclination too.

This is the first time I've installed frame sliders (my newest/most expensive bike so far), so I wasn't sure. But reading around, it seemed like most people are for then.

BTW I didn't listen to him, and have left them on. He was very much for the Yamaha engine protectors that he sells...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Id find another dealer.
The dealer kind of has a point though...it depends where the slider bolts into the frame, and what kind of wreck you have. If there is a slider that does not go through to the engine...but just ties in to some part of a frame spar, it is possible that a certain wreck wouldn't otherwise touch the frame to the ground, but the frame slider could catch a curb or some divot in the ground, and bend the frame.

if it is designed correctly, and the frame slider ties into the engine block...the above scenario is unlikely to happen. Overall it is way better IMO to have sliders vs not, AND have case protectors. The dealer I think did a bad job explaining the myriad of crash scenarios that are possible

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Graves Frame Sliders, Evotech front / rear wheel spindles and GB Racing Case Savers. Gonna add Shogun rear spools only because they double as sliders as well.

It maybe a bit much, but I have many track days planned for my FZ-09.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
OES -- I did the Full Package for $129.

Better safe than sorry:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

Id find another dealer.
Don't look for a dealer in FL -- The more I shop the more I see I have to go in with Ear Plugs on....!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
word of warning about spool sliders!!!!! they COULD break the mount off on the swingarm where axle sliders wont...Woodcraft is making f/r axle sliders as we speak....

·
Registered
520 Posts
I use the oes front/rear slider and fork slider, damn good for the money, they stick out plenty to protect, some people dont like them ascetically, but its a slider, prioritize the protective aspect... And in all honesty, i dig the way they look

·
Registered
182 Posts

Id find another dealer.
No, the frame actually doesn't make contact with the ground. Stand in front of your bike and look down the side, the engine casing protrudes out well beyond the frame. Thats why the frame sliders for the FZ09 have different lengths for each side.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts