Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to get some feedback on some of your favorite mods the fz 09. Let me know some of your favorite and best bang for the buck mods you have done to yours.

I've set a side a couple hundred dollars I want to invest in to my 09. I ordered a puig windscreen today.

Here are some of the mods I want to do...
heated grips
Levers -- just ordered
Fender eliminator
exhaust
reflash
phone mount
new seat

ADDED * zx10r rear shock

Also considering investing in some more gear as well
Rain gear
Sema blue tooth
Riding pants
warmer gloves

Just really want to get other input on mods that made huge improvements to everyday riding and canyon carving and what you would do first on a budget.

·
Registered
987 Posts
ZX10R ZX6R(R) rear shock first.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I like a radiator guard for one of the first things! The way it's out in the open always had me worried so it was one of the things on my "buy first" list. And it's somewhat budget friendly.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
^ What beck says. The ZX10R shock and vcyclenut's flash and your 90% there for less than $250.

Reactions: GhengisT

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to do vcyclenut's flash, but I don't want my bike down at all! haha It's so hard to commit to not riding for a week or more. I just got the bike! I was thinking about waiting until next winter or when I purchase an exhaust.

I will start doing some research on finding a zx10r shock and add it to the list. Keep the suggestions coming!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Get some frame sliders. I use OES because they were relatively cheap and look decent. After that a 2005-2006 ZX6RR shock if you can find one. Search eBay for a ZX6R shock (nobody seems to realize there is a difference) and look for the red adjuster nut.

Reactions: motorock and beck

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I always think along the lines of protect the bike first, so:

- front and rear axle sliders
Evotech Performance Front Fork Sliders/Protectors for 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com
Evotech Performance Rear Axle Sliders/Protectors for 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

- frame sliders
SW-Motech Frame Slider Kit for 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

- engine guards (Yamaha because I got a discount coupon when I bought my 09)
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessori...et+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2015|44&dealernumber=

- radiator guard
Evotech Performance Aluminium Radiator Guard for 2013-2014 Yamaha MT-09, FZ-09 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

- tail tidy, just because the stock one is just too friggin ugly, lol.
R&G Racing Tail Tidy / License Plate Holder 2013-2014 Yamaha MT-09 / FZ-09 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

- wind shield or a windscreen

- Pyramid Plastics fender extenders (I ordered from Pyramid Plastics out of the UK)
FZ-09 '14 - Yamaha - Shop by Bike - TwistedThrottle.com

- short levers (went with Mad Hornet Levers)
SHORTY Levers Brake Clutch Set YAMAHA YZF/R1/R6/FZ/FJR/XJ/MT/R6S/V-Max/Supertenere/FZ09, 5 Color Options - Mad Hornets

The suspension upgrades will be later, just dialled in stock suspension for now.

If the seat becomes an issue, I'll be trying Mcmann's seat sponge fix first. http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/1575-seat-mod-reduce-forward-slope.html

Exhaust???? still debating, as better fuel mileage is more important right now, and it's not a must have at the moment. ( I know, others will disagree here)

I am sure my pick to protect first is not everyone first choice, I just like the idea of protecting my investment first.

p.s. - If I can pick up suspension upgrades for a good price, then sure it will happen sooner.

And for riding gear, check the local shops if they are clearing out last years gear. Or see what fits in the bike shops, then go online to see if you can get a better deal.

·
Registered
619 Posts
engine mods: do a flash, and Kev's O2 controller. I got a Stoltec flash, but i'm sure vcyclenut's is excellent also. Nick flashed mine to default to "A" mode, which I love, but there was some snatchiness on/off throttle, and some slight surging at low speeds. Kev's O2 controller cleaned that all up, and I'm very happy with the way the bike fuels now.

I haven't done any suspension mods, just adjustments. I think once I put some better than stock tires on it, i'll really want to upgrade the suspension then.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Where I like my levers, not the stock levers because they are horrible, there is no possible way I can see behind me with the stock mirrors. So mirrors would be my first upgrade if my wife hadn't ordered a tail tidy before I got the bike home. If you can use your mirrors then get some frame/axle sliders to protect your machine. Then adjust or replace the suspension. Having owned a bunch of two stroke and fuel injected motocross bikes the throttle on my '15 FZ09 feels silky smooth, but people seem to think the Vcyclenut flash is an awesome upgrade so I may give it a go...it's priced right to be sure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where I like my levers, not the stock levers because they are horrible, there is no possible way I can see behind me with the stock mirrors. So mirrors would be my first upgrade if my wife hadn't ordered a tail tidy before I got the bike home. If you can use your mirrors then get some frame/axle sliders to protect your machine. Then adjust or replace the suspension. Having owned a bunch of two stroke and fuel injected motocross bikes the throttle on my '15 FZ09 feels silky smooth, but people seem to think the Vcyclenut flash is an awesome upgrade so I may give it a go...it's priced right to be sure.
Yeah I've decided to get some some frame sliders and axle as well. Just trying to figure out which ones to go with.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Yeah I've decided to get some some frame sliders and axle as well. Just trying to figure out which ones to go with.
love my woodcrafts - a little price but easy install and they've been tested (Stoltec Moto went down with woodcraft sliders at the track and his bike held up very well based on the crash photos).

·
Registered
320 Posts
I see a lot more people say "rear shock" than mention the front forks, and honestly I didn't think it would be a huge change until I did it. When I bought this bike, I thought I was rusty from not riding for a couple years. The bike was hard to control, had a mind of its own sometimes. I really thought the people complaining about suspension were just "better" riders than average and it shouldn't matter for a commuter bike. I was a little rusty, but as soon as I got on that bike with proper springs and 10w maxima oil in the forks, it was exactly as I remembered a sport bike to be. My previous bike was a Triumph Daytona 675, and after a fitting a ZX6R rear shock and Sonic Springs and 10w fork oil to my Yamaha, I am even more confident on this bike than I ever was on the Daytona. My chicken strips are but a mere sliver, and I haven't taken it to the track. Additionally, even after purchasing a Corbin seat I still found I had a lot of sliding forward. Fixing the front end solved 80% of that.

I have done quite a bit to this bike, and here is the order I would do it if I had to start over:

Front & rear suspension Day 1 - for less than $200 in my case, others may choose to spend more
Windscreen
Seat (Corbin)
Pro-taper handle bar
Cosmetic bits

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Suspension, including fork springs....Undisputed #1
ECU Flash, don't underestimate this one.
CustomLED Taillight, Windscreen, Frame Sliders.

Reactions: BenCOfz09

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
suspension front and rear, whether cheap or expensive, it'll be better than stock. I have penske double clicker rear, and springs/oil/shims in the OEM fronts.
Once suspension is done, some HH pads for the front brakes.
An 02 controller
and a flash.
then a free seat mod to flatten it out.

That lot'll sort the bike out and get it performing really nice, then you can add the other stuff as required.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts