Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I am shopping and am in need of a cold weather riding jacket. I am a recovering "cruiser" so all my baggy leathers have got to go. I have a really nice Alpinestars T-GP plus air that I wear currently, but as the temperature drops I am going to need something a bit warmer to slip on. I really like the look of my current jacket, its sporty but not over the top wild. I like the clean lines and snug fit too. I have actually been wearing out two pages on the Revzilla site, one for the Dianese Crono jacket and the Alpinestars Gunner WP. If any of you guys have either of these jackets, OR if you have another jacket you recommend me checking out, by all means I would love to hear about it. I live in louisiana, I we don't get much of a winter down here, so this jacket only needs to be good for, oh 45 the coldest (the coldest im going to go out in anyway) to around 65. Anything above that, my current jacket works. So, I'd love to hear what you guys recommend.

Thanks

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Alright guys, I am shopping and am in need of a cold weather riding jacket. I am a recovering "cruiser" so all my baggy leathers have got to go. I have a really nice Alpinestars T-GP plus air that I wear currently, but as the temperature drops I am going to need something a bit warmer to slip on. I really like the look of my current jacket, its sporty but not over the top wild. I like the clean lines and snug fit too. I have actually been wearing out two pages on the Revzilla site, one for the Dianese Crono jacket and the Alpinestars Gunner WP. If any of you guys have either of these jackets, OR if you have another jacket you recommend me checking out, by all means I would love to hear about it. I live in louisiana, I we don't get much of a winter down here, so this jacket only needs to be good for, oh 45 the coldest (the coldest im going to go out in anyway) to around 65. Anything above that, my current jacket works. So, I'd love to hear what you guys recommend.

Thanks
Check out the Closeouts of the Icon Leather "Perforated Overlord Jacket." It was originally offered in six colors. It runs very slightly on the small side so if you straddle two sizes lean up a size.

It's a steal at these prices. :cool:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I can't say much for the higher end stuff because I generally stick to the more budget end of the spectrum, but in the sub-$200 price range for cold/wet weather textile jackets nothing I've ever seen or owned has performed as well as the Cortech GX Sport series (currently on its third iteration).

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mesh is not a good winter jacket. I tend to go with Joe Rocket for everyday duty because I get a new jacket every few years as technology improves without breaking the bank. I currently ride with a Ballistic but will probably buy a Rasp Hybrid next.
joe_rocket_rasp2.0_jacket_zoom.jpg

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I've had a dainese gator evo goretex jacket for the last 18months or so. A Sydney winter gets down to 6or 8 degrees Celsius at 530 am when I leave for work, cold but not freezing.
With the liner in and just a business shirt underneath at 100ks and hour down the road, it's toasty warm- with an extra layer of thermals it would handle colder temps. And it's actually waterproof, I ride everyday, rain hail or shine, and it handles torrential storms no problem. With the liner out it is fine on the bike, but can get a bit steamy walking around from meeting to meeting.
One of the better winter waterproof jackets I've had in the last 17years of riding.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Check out the Closeouts of the Icon Leather "Perforated Overlord Jacket." It was originally offered in six colors. It runs very slightly on the small side so if you straddle two sizes lean up a size.

It's a steal at these prices. :cool:
i've never owned anything icon that lasted more than a few months - i made that mistake twice and never again. You also don't want perforation in a winter riding jacket.

Winter for us means 40 or below :) - i know that's not a number you floridians/southerners don't have that temp on your thermometer :)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I just picked up a Joe Rocket Ballistic 12.0 Textile Jacket, which was on sale for $199 from the regular price of $299.

The last few days have been a bit cool in the morning, only 6 °C (43 °F). I found it to work good in the cool mornings as it does a good job of keeping the wind out. It also has a removable liner for when it does warm up in the afternoon.

Revzilla has the Revolution version on for $179
Joe Rocket Ballistic Revolution Jacket - RevZilla

And if you live north of the 49th, a good place to shop online is Motorcycle Helmets and Superstore - Gear, Parts, and Accessories - Canada's Motorcycle

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
i've never owned anything icon that lasted more than a few months - i made that mistake twice and never again. You also don't want perforation in a winter riding jacket.

Winter for us means 40 or below :) - i know that's not a number you floridians/southerners don't have that temp on your thermometer :)
I've heard the same about icon but haven't seen it. He's in Louisiana so my Perforated Leather recommendation stands, and for $350 +/- the Icon Overlord (leather) can't be beat. :)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...&matchtype=b&gclid=CPOnyrvX68ACFSsV7AodslkAqw

I would have flown up Saturday to ride but I'd have to fly back Saturday evening. Sundays are a No go. :(

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I've heard the same about icon but haven't seen it. He's in Louisiana so my Perforated Leather recommendation stands, and for $350 +/- the Icon Overlord (leather) can't be beat. :)

I would have flown up Saturday to ride but I'd have to fly back Saturday evening. Sundays are a No go. :(
Saw where he was after the fact. I would still say perf isn't the way to go but just my personal opinion.

He already has a perf gp air jacket which is 10 times better then the icon and vents just the same. I have the other perf leather jacket they make at the same price point (blanking on the name). It's in the 40s in the morning on my way to work and almost getting too cold to wear that jacket. I deal with it because it's in the high 60s when I ride home.

For fall riding when temps don't get above 60 and get as low as 40 Id be going no perf leather or non vented textile.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Saw where he was after the fact. I would still say perf isn't the way to go but just my personal opinion.

He already has a perf gp air jacket which is 10 times better then the icon and vents just the same. I have the other perf leather jacket they make at the same price point (blanking on the name). It's in the 40s in the morning on my way to work and almost getting too cold to wear that jacket. I deal with it because it's in the high 60s when I ride home.

For fall riding when temps don't get above 60 and get as low as 40 Id be going no perf leather or non vented textile.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed across the Bd, except that The OP is in Louisiana. I'll assume the perf leather is more practical for him since he very rarely sees 40F.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can't say much for the higher end stuff because I generally stick to the more budget end of the spectrum, but in the sub-$200 price range for cold/wet weather textile jackets nothing I've ever seen or owned has performed as well as the Cortech GX Sport series (currently on its third iteration).
That's what I have and have worn it down to 40 degrees with a turtle neck under it.

However you should be equally concerned with winter gloves. Fingers will get numb well before your body gets too cold.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
My wife and I both have the Olympia Air Glide 4 jackets and Air Glide 3 pants. With the Thermo-lite line in, they are probably good down to the low to mid forties.....even for old, cold natured folks like us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another vote for the Cortech GX Sport. I wear mine from 30 to 80 degrees. It sucks to stop when it's 80 outside though. As others have said, the hard part at 30 is keeping you fingers warm. Brush guards and heated grips work wonders.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think i see it, still not a bad price... Lots of variations of the overlord jacket. i see an icon mesh as well but it's a warm season jacket, I'm needing a cool season jacket.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I think i see it, still not a bad price... Lots of variations of the overlord jacket. i see an icon mesh as well but it's a warm season jacket, I'm needing a cool season jacket.
Icon: leather, Perforated, Overlord -- If you see all these words you've found it. :cool:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just refreshed my tapatalk app...realized I got a million replies! Thanks for the input , I hate buying things without a little prior knowledge.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Everything Icon that I have ever purchased has been junk. Never again.
If/when anything with their logo falls apart I'll be done too. But still no issues. :)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Two pairs of Icon boots poorly cut and stitched as well as wrong sizing. I was going overseas, so I had no choice but to wear them. The dye they use stinks to high heaven. Also, a pair of gloves that the dye completely stained my hands. I had to use Gojo with a Scotch pad to get it off my hands. Their stuff must be assembled in the worst sweat shops in China.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts