Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
For those of you interested in bar end mirrors for your stock handle bar, I thought I'd share my experience, opinion and photos. Hope it helps. Yes I know "best" is subjective. :)

Miscellaneous stuff out of the way: I wanted a mirror option where I could actually see things behind me and to my sides. Also don't really prefer how the stock mirrors stick up and the way that looks. Went with CRG Arrow mirrors and when I first took them out of the box I thought "These are way too small and will likely be going back". However, they are really clear and the convex shape of the mirror more than makes up for their size. I can adjust them to see behind me in both mirrors and can see cars to either side in the lanes next to me.

Notes:
- Not affiliated with SoloMoto.com but I was happy with their service and they happen to have all of these items for web link ease.
- There is nothing wrong with the Motivation product and it is simply preference and feature comparisons.

Round 1:
Ordered the CRG Arrow mirrors along with what was listed as Yamaha bar end adapters but they were too small and only for certain Yamaha sport bikes, not the FZ-09 for sure. Greggs Customs Bar End Mirror Adpater for Yamaha/Aprilia

Round 2:
Reviewed postings on here and found an option for bar end mounts/sliders that was good and workable but they work by expanding inside the threaded portion of the bar end. It also helps to put some sort of spacers like crush washers to help keep the throttle side at a distance so the throttle movement isn't impeded. Motovation Universal Fit Bar End Weights/Sliders

Round 3:
Was browsing on some parts web sites and came across a photo of Yamaha bar end weights/sliders that sure as hell looked a lot like the stock bar end weights. Ordered them and they are a perfect fit, screwing into the stock bar ends just like the stock weights. RhinoMoto Bar End Mirror Mount (Threaded) for FZ1/6/6R 01-13

Pro/cons/observations :
  • Most obvious difference is RhinoMoto screw into the stock handlebar as intended vs expanding into the threads.
  • The Motivation slider portion is smaller and wouldn't offer as much protection as a slider as the RhinoMoto.
  • Because the Motivation slider portion is smaller, you do have the option to rotate the mirror further out/down where the RhinoMoto would interfere with mirror adjustment.
  • The RhinoMoto offers a bit more room on the grip because there is more of a spacer between the end of the bar and the mirror clamp. I have big hands and they made contact with the mirror clamp using the Motivation sliders.
  • Price - RhinoMoto's are cheaper.
  • Looks are subjective which is why there are plenty of pics attached.

fyi: Since my Motivation ends were mounted and used for 2 rides, they are technically used so I can't return them. I'll be posting them on here or eBay.

Pictures:

Internal view of stock bar end:

Incompatible R1/R6 Gregg's Adapter

End Weight comparison of Stock vs RhinoMoto vs Motivation:

Compare #1 RhinoMoto vs Motivation:

Compare #2 RhinoMoto vs Motivation:

Grip Comparison on Bike:

Mirror Rotation Comparison:

RhinoMoto's Mounted:

CRG Arrow Mirrors opened for mounting:

Finished Product w Arrow mirrors and RhinoMoto Bar End Weights/Sliders:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Yeah, I came to the same conclusion you did and ordered a set of the rhino ends as well... my Motovation bar ends will be posted in the for sale section of my local moto forum as soon as the rhinos show up.

Nice write up btw.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report. For now I'm planing on using the stock mirrors even though I'm going a bit cafe style with clubman bars. But if I do change the mirrors those Arrow mirrors look like the way to go, way more effective than those 3 inch round ones, I use my mirrors a lot.

About your first photo with the bar end removed, WOW, I didn't know the grip goes past the end of the bars like that, over the bar-end. What is the design reason for that?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Appreciate this post.

I wasn't thrilled with the Crg bar end adapters. The throttle sticks if you tighten them all the way and they have no weight.

Just ordered the rhinomotor ones. Think those will be much better

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About your first photo with the bar end removed, WOW, I didn't know the grip goes past the end of the bars like that, over the bar-end. What is the design reason for that?
Yep, both sides are that way and I have no idea for the design purpose. The throttle side is esp. tricky which is the reason for needing spacers on the Motivation ends so that they are kept away from the throttle to prevent sticking.

Glad the post has been helpful so far.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do they make a bar end mirror with a 1 inch clamp that will clamp on the bar end weight?

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks far all the info Warrior... that's exactly what i was looking for. :thumbsup: :)

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Thanks for posting. I've been thinking about this too. I'm gonna try some of those little blind spot mirrors that stick on the existing mirrors first. I'll put em on the top corners of the stock mirrors and see how that works for a while. If that doesn't work, then I'll try the Bar end mirrors. Are you able to see with them well, do you have to tilt or lower your head to see behind you?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
... Are you able to see with them well, do you have to tilt or lower your head to see behind you?
That's one of the reasons I'll stay with the stock mirrors for awhile, they are relatively close to your line of sight, easy to use. But the way the Arrow mirrors can be positioned up from the grip end should make them reasonably good.

·
Registered
337 Posts
In case anyone wants to see what it looks like with the 3" inch CRG blind spot mirrors, posted this up last week in the "What have you done to your bike today" thread.

[/URL]

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Mknj671, are those mirrors flat or convex for a wider field of view? Have you had a chance to ride with them, how's the vibration in them etc?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mknj671, are those mirrors flat or convex for a wider field of view? Have you had a chance to ride with them, how's the vibration in them etc?
According to CRG from their website "We use custom convex glass formed to our own specification to give you the perfect balance between field of vision and image magnification."

Have not ridden with them yet, roads here are still covered in salt and garbage with more snow coming in today. They should not vibrate much if at all with the Motorhino bar ends.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The Crg provide a fish eye like view but not that extreme. I like them because you can see behind you as well as a good distance on either side. I took the bike out for a quick ride yesterday (not over 30mph) and with the Crg bar end adapters they vibrated like crazy.

Came back and ordered mknj bar ends immediately :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Any problems with vibration in the handlebars with the rhinomoto bar ends installed?
Put some miles on the bike last week, the Rhimo moto bar ends and CRG mirrors work great. Little blur in the mirrors at high RPM and above 75 or so but they are still totally usable, the CRG's do make things look a bit small but work fine on both sides and clear arms/elbows no problem.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't have any vibration issues at all. Just wish the bike or mirrors could sense when you're tucked at high speeds and automatically move to self-adjust. :) (Kind of like a Porsche rear fin)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great writeup! I think I'll go this route - and thanks for taking the guess work out of it. Not to get off topic, but I'd like to somehow integrate turn signals into them. Anyone seen or thought about bar end mirrors with indicators?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts