·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the deal:

You've got $3000 to spend This Week.

Your pick has to be bought for $3000 or Less, Including Taxes....no tag.:cool:

It Must be Street Legal, but it doesn't have to be Red.:D

Also, you've got to be able to Identify & Buy it This Week....Location doesn't matter.....Still, easier said than done...

What's it going to be......???:cool:

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You have to give us more of an idea that you are looking for:

- cheap track bike that is still street legal?

- a street legal dirt bike?

- scooter to run to the store to pick up a 6-pack of beer?

- what cc engine size would you like?

- a cheap used Ducati???

- a boat to go catch gators??????

Or is it time to go get a Grom???

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to give us more of an idea that you are looking for:

- cheap track bike that is still street legal?

- a street legal dirt bike?

- scooter to run to the store to pick up a 6-pack of beer?

- what cc engine size would you like?

- a cheap used Ducati???

- a boat to go catch gators??????
This pick isn't about me; It's about You.....What You'd buy with your $3000. I've got to assume everyone here would have something in mind that would be solid enough & have relatively low mileage so it would hold up. Everyone's tastes are different. I'm interested to find what turns up Under $3k, or at least what the members would hope to find around $3k. I'll take it from there with a follow thread.:cool:

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
539 Posts
A decent Yz250, Rm250, or Cr250r so I could get back into Mx racing!!!;)

Edit: Sorry I missed the street legal part, I would choose an older R6 so I could have a bike to beat on. HARD.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
90 Posts
in 2003 I bought a 1981 Honda CB900F for $700 with about 45000 miles on it. The tank was banged in from falling on a toolbox, the return port in the MC was plugged so the brakes would lock when the system heated up, and cosmetically it was, er, 'authentic.' But after replacing the carb boots (fixing all the vacuum signal leaks), reshimming the valves, replacing the brake lines and cleaning out the MC, the bike ran like new. 3 years of cleaning and repainting later I sold it for around $2000. Not nearly as much as I ended up putting into it but I had as much fun rehabbing that bike as I did riding it.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
This pick isn't about me; It's about You.....What You'd buy with your $3000. I've got to assume everyone here would have something in mind that would be solid enough & have relatively low mileage so it would hold up. Everyone's tastes are different. I'm interested to find what turns up Under $3k, or at least what the members would hope to find around $3k. I'll take it from there with a follow thread.:cool:
Oh ok, my first choice would be a suspension upgrade for the 09, since I already have the DR650SE as a second bike and it is street legal. Since a dirt bike doesn't fit in the street legal part.

There isn't much that interested me in the local used bike section around here right now.

Then I'd snag on of these to take camping, just for the heck of it, as a camp ground run-about, lol.

ruckus.JPG

It kind of reminds me of the mini bike we had as kids, but it's street legal, which is a bonus.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Oh ok, my first choice would be a suspension upgrade for the 09, since I already have the DR650SE as a second bike and it is street legal. Since a dirt bike doesn't fit in the street legal part.

There isn't much that interested me in the local used bike section around here right now.

Then I'd snag on of these to take camping, just for the heck of it, as a camp ground run-about, lol.

View attachment 14157
this is a very easy way to turn a sub $3k buy into a $10k+ buy - the mod market for these is bananas!

as far as what i would buy - this

Suzuki SV | eBay

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sorry -- This has to be disqualified as there are No Grom's avail anywhere for $3k including tax, unless you'll sell me yours, lol

Nice try :cool:
Couple things to point out. This is subjective. Meaning what I would pay for the bike. I have bought so much from that dealer that I know I could walk out of that dealer with that Grom for 3k. Also they are offering the Grom for $2,600. So 3000k is not too far off. Lastly my buddy will be selling his all white Grom here very shortly and I'll keep you posted on it.

Sorry for the formatting and typos. I'm using my phone and busy.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
this is a very easy way to turn a sub $3k buy into a $10k+ buy - the mod market for these is bananas!

as far as what i would buy - this

Suzuki SV | eBay
I tend to agree. I'd buy a SV 1000 or 650. Tons and tons of mods out there and a well set up SV is very formidable.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I tend to agree. I'd buy a SV 1000 or 650. Tons and tons of mods out there and a well set up SV is very formidable.
my SV650 cost $100 a year to insure and the engine was bomb proof. The price i'd spend on changing the ergos on the FZ - for another grand or so i could something more aggressive and just as fun. Plus i'd like to wrench more on a bike in general - i'd be less afraid of biffing something on a $2,500 bike compared to my $8k FZ.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Steve, I'll PM my address to you and you can just send me a postal money order for $3k and I'll figure it out!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve, I'll PM my address to you and you can just send me a postal money order for $3k and I'll figure it out!
The $3k cost Must include tax!

Will you accept PayPal...???:cool:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
my SV650 cost $100 a year to insure and the engine was bomb proof. The price i'd spend on changing the ergos on the FZ - for another grand or so i could something more aggressive and just as fun. Plus i'd like to wrench more on a bike in general - i'd be less afraid of biffing something on a $2,500 bike compared to my $8k FZ.
I hear you. It's a good platform to gain experience wrenching on something and lose the fear of screwing something up...then apply it to the FZ.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Honda didn't make a 2000 Hayden edition RC51. I'd say that was probably because Nicky Hayden didn't win the AMA championship until 2002. The Hayden edition RC51 was a 2004 model. I'd be leery of buying something that is being sold by a liar or someone who doesn't know what he is selling.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd buy a DR650.

Reactions: Rocky_MTN_FZ09
1 - 20 of 48 Posts