Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Motorcyclist: BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK

YAMAHA FZ-09
THE BEGINNING OF YAMAHA’S VALUE RESURGENCE?

To say that Yamaha’s FZ-09 outperforms its $7,990 price tag is a huge understatement. In terms of engine performance, it hits as hard as bikes costing half again more.

Yamaha’s frisky naked bike wheelied onto the scene earlier this year with an all-new 847cc triple residing in an aluminum twin-spar frame with an inverted fork and radial-mount brakes—no recycled, prior-model motor or chassis here. Fit and finish are excellent, and the bike even has a ride-by-wire throttle, engine modes, and a comprehensive instrument cluster. All for less than $8,000.

We love triples and the way they make power, and Yamaha’s creation is an especially sporty example of the layout. The engine cranks out more than 105 hp and more than 60 pound-feet of torque, with 50 pound-feet available right off idle. The FZ-09 clobbers other bikes in the price range in terms of power, delivering unprecedented bang for your buck.

The FZ-09 doesn’t shy away from the scales either. Its wet weight of just 417 pounds is in line with that of a premium supersport, helping make the FZ-09 an especially flickable machine. True, suspension and fueling aren’t perfect from the factory, but the FZ-09 makes up for its deficits with that enthralling and entertaining motor and a genuinely affordable price tag.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree! Suspension and ECU flash and you are ready to rock and roll.

·
Registered
385 Posts
hey fizzer, since you have had some time to contemplate and are frugal, I am wondering what your top 10 ranked list of upgrades are?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I cannot come up with 10!!

Look, I've done the simple aesthetic changes like a tail tidy, mirrors, and I'm pulling my rear pegs.

On my to do list, vcyclenut flash, Akrapovic Carbon exhaust

Looking into better brake pads, then done with the brakes...

Really, I'm looking to drop some weight, add some pep and a better sound track.

If I wanted an RSV4, I'd go buy one... If I wanted a track bike, I'd buy one. I wanted a fun bike, and I had that on day one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts