Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard but it just flings everywhere; granted I like to apply it very liberally and then wipe it off after 30 minutes or so, so maybe I was just not getting enough wiped off. By contrast, the Bel-Ray stuff goes on thicker (kind of looks like white lithium grease) and sets up great, with absolutely zero fling.

Kinda pricey ($13.45 for the 400ml size), but I got three cans from Revzilla and that qualified for free shipping:

Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube - RevZilla

·
Registered
337 Posts
+1 I have been using it for a very long time on my street and track bikes, the color is nice to see exactly where the chain has already been coated.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I am using Motul cleaner and lube right now. The lube goes on white and holds up well.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i forget the brand i'm using but it sucks - i'll have to try one of these out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yup, it's a good product. I've used it for years. I find it a little messy to apply but wipe off the access and it's all good.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Might have to give it a try. I have only ever used Maxima chain wax, up until recent. Tried Motul lube and it's messy.

No complaints with the Maxima other than it's sticky and hard to clean the fling off of bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
WD40 for me. I've been using it for 19 years, and my '89 Hawk GT is still on the original chain and sprockets at 43K miles. I've had to adjust the chain twice in that time (it had 6K on it when I bought it in '95). Chain doesn't gunk-up between applications so it's esssentially spray it on, wipe off the excess, and I'm good to go. The bike is garaged, and I avoid riding in the rain (CA weather helps), but prior to using WD40 I'd have to clean the chain to get the gunk off every 400 miles or so. So far with 4300 miles on the FZ, WD40 is working great with just one initial chain adjustment at around 400 miles.

·
Registered
657 Posts
WD40 for me. I've been using it for 19 years, and my '89 Hawk GT is still on the original chain and sprockets at 43K miles. I've had to adjust the chain twice in that time (it had 6K on it when I bought it in '95). Chain doesn't gunk-up between applications so it's esssentially spray it on, wipe off the excess, and I'm good to go. The bike is garaged, and I avoid riding in the rain (CA weather helps), but prior to using WD40 I'd have to clean the chain to get the gunk off every 400 miles or so. So far with 4300 miles on the FZ, WD40 is working great with just one initial chain adjustment at around 400 miles.
Funny, when I bought the Motul, I asked the shop what they use on their bikes. They said WD40 all the way.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use teflon wax spray, there's a bunch of brands, bel-ray is one of them. Whichever brand the hw store I'm at has I buy. little to no fling, goes on dry, doesn't make a huge mess, and smells like coconut. Works great for O ring chains.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Same here, I recently switched it up just to use up the remainder of a can of chain lube I had laying around...what a mess. Shit flings everywhere...never again. WD all the way.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I use something very similar on my dirt bike only because sand doesn't stick to it (ride at the dunes a lot). It's a PJ1 but I forget which one it is. On the FZ I just use motor oil.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I use Crisco. Apply it with a rake and smoothen it with a broom. Ha Ha.

I have used the Bel-Ray Super Clean and it works well. Also used the Pro Honda and it too is good.

Recently my buddy who owns the local shop talked me into the Motol stuff. It's expensive and does fling off.

I think the bottom line is not so much what you use but how often you use it and are you cleaning off the dirt and grit before re applying.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a can of molybdenum (spelling) lube for chain motors, 20 bucks a can wholesale, worked fantastically well, no fling, instant dry, but I just couldn't swing the cost.

I'm gonna have to try that original spirits stuff, a combo of PTFE (what I currently use) and moly sounds like the bees knees. and yes, moly is messy on the skin!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'm gonna have to try that original spirits stuff, a combo of PTFE (what I currently use) and moly sounds like the bees knees. and yes, moly is messy on the skin!
just make sure you get the original bike spirits chain lube in the red can, as they have one in a blue can which has white graphite instead of moly. i tried that one as well, but it flings a bit and the flingoff is tough to remove.

i've also tried the pj1 chain lubes before, both black and blue labels. never again - lots of nasty flingoff and a real pain in the ass to clean up.

chain lube is like oil, when people find something that works for them, they tend to stick with it.

p.s. the original bike spirits spray cleaner and polish is also great stuff. it's the same as the old pro honda spray cleaner and polish (honda put their label on it) from years back.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Chain lube has been a personal quest of mine for quite some time. I've tried most of it...Motul, Belray, Maxima, etc. My favorite two:

1. Scotoiler (the lube is great...doesn't fling much, and what does is easily wiped off)
2. WD40

The worst part of the big name lubes IMO is the cleaning. Most of it gets so tacky that kerosene is the only real solution. Never a problem with the above two solutions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts