Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an old saying: "Children should be seen and not heard."

Well when it comes to motorcycles you not only want to be seen, but also heard.

Already took care of the be seen part with my Baja Designs LED train light, so the only part left was the heard.

Took care of that today. And boy howdy can I now bee heard.

$32.85 in Yamaha parts. 4 terminals and a bit of wire and heat shrink. Plus a couple of hours of my time and presto...mucho noise!

These are the Yamaha part numbers in case anyone is interested.

Horn:1RC-83371-00-00 Bracket: 1RC-23377-00-00 Screw: 92017-06010-00

It mounts just opposite the stock horn and uses the bolt that is already in the lower triple clamp. So it mounts just like the stock horn but just on the other side to form a matched pair.

I wired it in parallel to the stock horn. How cool is that.

Tool Audio equipment Auto part Technology Bumper Electronic device Yellow Vehicle Auto part Car Tire Vehicle Bicycle Auto part Bicycle wheel

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Excellent work -- I'd guess you're now Twice as Loud....just a guess, lol

Question: Did you consider replacing the stock horn with a larger Air Horn...they are a bit louder than stock, but also have a deeper sound which I'm not so sure is good..

I have this but actually thought it would be Louder than it is:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-soundbomb-compact-dual-tone-air-horn

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Reactions: DacoSilver

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about a different horn or an air horn but space available pretty much dictates going with something of similar size to the stocker.

When I had my Ninja 1000 I bought one of those electric air horns. 130db dual tone blaster but it was just a little too big for a good fit.

Ended up putting it on my GMC truck. It has saved me a couple of times cuz they really know you are coming.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I thought about a different horn or an air horn but space available pretty much dictates going with something of similar size to the stocker.

When I had my Ninja 1000 I bought one of those electric air horns. 130db dual tone blaster but it was just a little too big for a good fit.

Ended up putting it on my GMC truck. It has saved me a couple of times cuz they really know you are coming.
Mine is 120db at 3 ft, but whenever I'm using it the people are a lot more than 3 ft away.....I was hoping for 120 db at 30 ft, LOL :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Just installed the Stebel airhorn purchased at Amazon along with the wiring harness kit. Horn went under the gas tank. It's thicker than the stock horn and would collide with the front fender at full shock compression. The 5 1/2 inches of shock travel puts the fender about 1/4 inch below the stock horn. The airhorn is at least one inch thicker. Under the tank keeps it dryer and it still sounds great. I guarantee you other drivers will hear it.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Was this plug and play? Meaning the input terminals on the horn had the same style OEM?
Yes, and I was able to install it where the stock horn was using the stock hardware

Reactions: DacoSilver

·
Registered
275 Posts
Something you might not want to hear is that the horn button may not like doubling the load it has to deal with, all the current goes through the button contacts. Using a relay when using more or higher powered horns would help keep the horn button alive. Or it might work forever the way it is. Or it smokes and then you can find a switch that doesn't have the button in such a stupid place.:happy8:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just installed the Stebel airhorn purchased at Amazon along with the wiring harness kit. Horn went under the gas tank. It's thicker than the stock horn and would collide with the front fender at full shock compression. The 5 1/2 inches of shock travel puts the fender about 1/4 inch below the stock horn. The airhorn is at least one inch thicker. Under the tank keeps it dryer and it still sounds great. I guarantee you other drivers will hear it.
That is the horn I ended up putting in my truck. Yep she bee loud.

Wow can't believe you got it to fit under the tank.

Does it vibrate your cajones when it blasts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Tigershark - are there any pictures of it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Something you might not want to hear is that the horn button may not like doubling the load it has to deal with, all the current goes through the button contacts. Using a relay when using more or higher powered horns would help keep the horn button alive. Or it might work forever the way it is. Or it smokes and then you can find a switch that doesn't have the button in such a stupid place.:happy8:
@Coreytrevor - I totally agree with electrical facts you helped us to have noted; but, why did you think that the current's load is doubled?

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
@Coreytrevor - I totally agree with electrical facts you helped us to have noted; but, why did you think that the current's load is doubled?
It will double the current flow. Two horns being operated off of one button = twice the current flow. Then the question becomes.......what does the original horn pull current wise? I honestly don't know! Then, what is the current rating of the horn button? I don't know that either.....but I would think Yamaha isn't necessarily going to put in a set of contacts that are rated for much more than what the one horn would pull.

If you are going to put an additional horn in and operate it off of one button (the original horn button) you need to find out the current rating of the above mentioned items and either it's OK to do, or you need to add a 12VDC relay that is rated high enough to handle the load of the both horns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Actually I'm pretty satisfied with Stebel's quality and what they offer at such reasonable price.

The problem is: I wonder if Stebel Airhorn (even the compact version of any hybrid/airhorn could survive mounted to the original horn bracket (i.e. when the front fork is closed all the way)

Any pictures of your setup?

·
Registered
185 Posts
There is an old saying: "Children should be seen and not heard."

Well when it comes to motorcycles you not only want to be seen, but also heard.

Already took care of the be seen part with my Baja Designs LED train light, so the only part left was the heard.

Aloha Hawkerjet'
Let's get another pic of that light above the two horns ,

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the best horn system for motorcycles. Or get the Bad Boy horn.
Just FYI, the small Screaming Banshee unit which would actually fit our bikes has been discontinued. I have 2 Stebels I took off 2 other bikes, but don't want to go with the underseat loacation, so my quest continues. Apparently, there's nothing that's flat, 3" in diameter, and very loud in existence. This falls under the old heading of, "You mean to tell me we can put a man on the moon, but we can't...?" I s'pose finding a way to get a million pages of data into a cell phone is a much higher priority for technical types these days than researching ways to make loud noise.

I'm now down to either the OP's idea, or this one: http://www.compacc.com/p/piaa-sliml...scplp2789630&gclid=CO6ZrOmmmcUCFQmmaQodelAAXQ

I'm leaning to the OP's, as I'm not sure what a "sports horn" is, but I will say that the PIAA horn has a less "meep meep" sound, and sounds like a regular car horn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Reading thru this post gave me an idea. I bought the Denali Sound Bomb and it's too big for the stock location and will not fit without surgery in the side scoop. I think I just figured out where to put it. There is a flat spot above the shock inside the frame that I think will fit rather nicely. I'll check that out today to see if it will work. The horn is plug and play and is pretty loud with more like a deeper car horn type sound. People will hear me now.

DENALI SoundBomb Mini Electromagnetic Low Tone Horn - TwistedThrottle.com

Attachments

Reactions: OBS

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok, just went out to the garage to have a look. It's a no go above the shock. The horn is too big and will interfere with rear suspension. But, on the bottom of the storage tray behind the battery will work well. And you don't have to look at it so much as stock location. I'll get some connectors and wire and do that today.

Since I have an Ermax fly screen I was thinking of attaching the horn to the flat part behind the gauge cluster. For me, it would be inside the fly screen and not very visible which is what I want. To be continued.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts