Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my FZ they were about to bring it out when the salesman said something like, "One small issue though..." :( It seems they weren't paying too close attention when filling the gas tank. It ran over a bit and down the side of the tank. Here's what the gas did to the plastic panel.

They said they put some gas on a rag and tried it on the other panel as well. No staining there. If I got a bad panel it's possible someone else did as well. The dealer took care of me though and ordered a new panel before I took it home. THe new one is installed and it does not stain so all is well. :cool:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Gas did that? I'm skeptical.. I've spilled a little gas here and there but always wipe it with a towel at the pump. That looks like something else. I would be more curious as to what damage if any behind the panel.

Maybe Plexus?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Almost looks like what carb cleaner does to plastic, either way that is terrible - glad the dealer admitted it and ordered the part for you.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
kirk.jpg

I'm with Tunnelvision on this one... I highly doubt that was caused by gasoline. I guess what caused it is a moot point since the dealership is taking care of it for you, but I highly doubt that Yamaha would choose a type of plastic that stains so badly when it comes in contact with gas - to put on the gas tank.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i never let anybody else fill the tank.
In some states you don't have a choice; in Oregon (at least 10 or so years ago) self-serve gas was prohibited by law. But I would look at the attendant and say, "Just hand me the pump, I'll do it." If I got an argument I simply left and found another gas station.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What did they use to polish the tank? It looks more like they spilled a bottle of instant wax on it. Plastic is a petroleum product, and those panels are solid colored - so the color wasn't washed off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Speaking of filling up... I pumped gas into my fz for the first time tonight. I was surprised that I couldn't insert the gas pump nozzle all the way down and push the safety mechanism to begin pumping. Mind you I've never owned a motorcycle; and my zuma125 pumps like a car in that the auto shut off on the pump still works.

This is not the case on the FZ right. My only option then is to hold the safety back and watch it not overfill correct??
I can see how easy it is to overfill this tank...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
In some states you don't have a choice; in Oregon (at least 10 or so years ago) self-serve gas was prohibited by law. But I would look at the attendant and say, "Just hand me the pump, I'll do it." If I got an argument I simply left and found another gas station.
i forget that it's prohibited in some states. never really understood the reasoning behind that.

This is not the case on the FZ right. My only option then is to hold the safety back and watch it not overfill correct??
yep.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Not sure if they are more strict in OR... It is in NJ as well but i've never had a problem pumping my own gas and no attendant has even attempted to try.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Gas did that? I'm skeptical.. I've spilled a little gas here and there but always wipe it with a towel at the pump. That looks like something else. I would be more curious as to what damage if any behind the panel.

Maybe Plexus?
Doesn't seem likely, at least not permanently; I've used Plexus for years. Even if it left some residue on an anything other than a smooth surface, it always removed easily with something like Back To Black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts