Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you have a dying battery already? 10 months old and I load check mine and it's kind of it's last leg already :mad:

Every time I start the bike it's does quite crank fast and my shift light get pi$$ every time. LOL I'll go shopping I guess...

·
Registered
962 Posts
No problems with mine yet - but I'm at 9 months... I'll hook my tester up to it, see what it says, and let you know if it's worth noting...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did put the charger on few weeks ago because I had a doubt but the light turn green within 1/2hr and all was good. But if I load test it its right on the edge of yellow.

(If you have a load tester you know what it mean)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bummer 'bout the battery. I swap out my batteries a.s.a.p. to Shorai lithium batteries. Don't like the stock batteries...even new. Put my first Shorai battery in about 4 years ago in my '09 R1 and it's still cranking. No battery tender or any special treatment. The R1 sits for months at a time as its a track only bike, same as our R6 and no issues. Give Shorai a crack at it ;)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Sounds like something is draining your battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,752 Posts
Does the battery fall under the Yamaha OEM 1 year warranty? I'd check that avenue before buying a new one.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
If the bike is sitting on the concrete garage floor while not in use the battery will drain. My bike's stand is sitting on an Orange Plastic floor stand & also connected to a battery tender while not in use. My battery is always fully charged.

Food for thought for you guys with battery issues. :eek:

Reactions: Evil Mechanic

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Reactions: skooter65

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This is true...if the battery is sitting directly on the concrete floor.
I'd assume the reasoning behind what I've been told is the battery is "connected" and current(s) run throughout the bike which in theory is touching the floor via the stand.

Nick: Please help me out here...:confused3:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Don't shoot the messenger....It's what the so called experts tell me :eek:
Don't want to de-rail Marthy's thread but: I don't even think this is true anymore. Battery housing materials have come a long way in the past 100 years. There is very little external "leakage" these days.

Marthy: Do you have a large number of electrical accessories by any chance?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I've been to his shop -- he's runs a small 12" Black & White Sony TV off the bike during the day. Don't tell him who told you. :cool:

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
The sidestand is an extension of the ground circuit. There is still a very large separation of the positive and earth. I bought a track bike a couple years ago that had an original 7 year old battery in the bike. It sat unused for 4 years without a charger and wouldn't you know it...fired up first try with perfect health. Yuasa FTW.

There is a long-heated debate on whether modern batteries are affected by sitting directly on concrete, but the general consensus is to not do it...even if it's an old wives' tale. The more likely explanation IMO is that all lead acid batteries will self-discharge over time. Some go faster than others, but I'm the wrong person to advise on 'why'.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys were pretty active while I was gone shopping lol

Battery was still reading 12.8ish, charging circuit work fine. When loading the battery the issue came up.

Still can't believe how small the battery is! Thinking about installing it where the ABS goes... lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dang that $hit is getting expensive... but I had to have it

210 CCA instead of 190... at that size I didn't mine going one up. LOL

Shorai and K&N....instant like!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Marthy--- What doe you estimate the weight savings being between the two batteries?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't even think this is true anymore. Battery housing materials have come a long way in the past 100 years. There is very little external "leakage" these days.
Interesting. I have always ensured not to place uninstalled batteries on a concrete floor. 100 years must not last as long as they used to, but then again, my grandfather may have been the one who taught me to keep them off the floor.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts