Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Would you replace / relocate your battery?

• Yes

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Yes, I want it now

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • No

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 11 12.8%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many members have been asking about a battery relocation kit for the FZ-09. One member actually built his own.

First known spotting of such a modification was on a very special FZ-09 built by Chuck Graves from Gravesport Racing seen below.

Closeup

As you can see, the battery tray is no more. The whole area was cleaned up, battery replaced by a smaller & lighter unit.

Aside from aesthetics, this modification is great for weight reduction and is commonly done on purpose built race bikes.

The question I pose here is, would you buy a kit that replaces the OEM tray and battery for your FZ-09?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
A lithium battery will drop right in the stock location with no modifications to cables or anything else, at least that's the experience I had with a Ballistic 12 cell battery, so a relocation kit isn't needed except for aesthetic purposes.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'd do it, but not with a graves kit. If they cant control the quality with the sizes for the indicators, i would be worried about the battery connections.
It looks awesome, saves a lot of weight, but if im going to be worried about whether or not it'll work properly, i may as well do it myself.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lithium battery will drop right in the stock location with no modifications to cables or anything else, at least that's the experience I had with a Ballistic 12 cell battery, so a relocation kit isn't needed except for aesthetic purposes.
relocation kit would replace the whole under-tray with a lighter tray.. extra weight savings.

Reactions: Haze

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd do it, but not with a graves kit. If they cant control the quality with the sizes for the indicators, i would be worried about the battery connections.
It looks awesome, saves a lot of weight, but if im going to be worried about whether or not it'll work properly, i may as well do it myself.
Thats fine, but you realize your judgment is based on a small sample of their entire production. They are a race team, these types of modifications are what they are known for.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
How much weight does it save?

I already have a lithium battery, which saved 5 pounds... What is the precise savings with the tray?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much weight does it save.

I already have a lithium battery, which saved 5 pounds... What is the precise savings with the tray?
thats a good question, i'm sure its not a huge amount. The OE battery itself was probably the majority of the weight under the seat. Keep in mind, this modification is common for race competition where every ounce lost can save you 100th's of a second. I believe the majority of buyers on this forum would get it done for aesthetic purposes. Only a few will feel the weight difference.

Reactions: JohnnyC4

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perhaps this mod will make it easier to adjust the 2008-2010 zx10r shocks when they are mounted with the canister facing up too.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps this mod will make it easier to adjust the 2008-2010 zx10r shocks when they are mounted with the canister facing up too.
i believe you are correct, I do recall some cutting of the under tray required for those shocks to fit on the FZ.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Take my money ! Seriously I would do this next year . But I could also fab my own so it has to be affordable .

Sent from far outer space

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ohhhh, so we are talking $200... My Stark battery was about $150. I didn't realize this was a tray and battery combo.
I don't know the price yet, but kit will include everything you need. I've seen the one on this bike up close and even under the seat the wiring harness is secured nicely and clean.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
If I didn't already have a lithium, I'd consider it. For $250 or less. More than that, and I'd just buy a lithium and forget the tray.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I shopped around for the lithium I felt was right for me as well... There are some large differences between manufacturers and the battery features as well. Say the kit was produced with a Shorai. I would not buy it. Their batteries don't possess some of the technology that Stark does. Their chargers are incredibly expensive. Etc. You'd have to tick the right boxes, in an already small cross section of consumers.

This would be a small niche.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts