Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously being new bike the battery isnt (hopefully) going to be an issue soon. But what have you guys used in the past and had good or bad results with? Ive always stuck with lead-acid batteries. I only typically get 2 or so years out of one but at least I know it will work good for 2 years. Has anyone played with all the new different batteries? Gel ones etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the Shorai Li-On in the past. Super light and holds a charge even when stored for a while (not that I have had much chance to test that out). A little pricey but it should easily outlast any lead-acid battery so the cost per start should be a wash. (review)

·
Registered
734 Posts
New dont mean its right 2002 drz 400 sign papers good to go , gas it up put batt. In . Hum batt. Gonner , as a auto shop owner
, dont ask me how bad its gotten for new is bad , eeeee

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I had two Shorai batteries in my S3, and neither would crank that bike below 50f. Not even using the warmup tricks. They were such finicky, and expensive batteries, that I will never again stray from AGM.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've had great luck with the Shorai LFX batteries, used one on my fz6 and one in the r1track bike with zero issues. In fact I've got a new one in the garage waiting to get installed in the 09 just haven't gotten to it yet.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Yup... nobody has problems with the Shorai. So I bought one. It sucked, but again, no one has problems with them, so I got it replaced free, and that one sucked... sold the bike, the new owner replaced it with ANOTHER Shorai, it too sucked, so he went to an AGM. It worked AWESOME, until the temp dropped to 50F, then it was dead. Place a space heater on it for 10 minutes, BAM, cranked awesome! But who carries a space heater to start their $14k bike with a $200 battery in it?

The battery worked great, until it didn't... below 50F. I found them to be terribly unreliable, and not worth the weight savings and sprag clutches that they destroy. Sprags are expensive, AGM batteries are cheap. I hate space heaters.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yuasa lead-acid, unless ya feel lucky...

I've had a cheap ($50) Bikemaster AGM in my Hawk GT for five years and it's been great, but when it comes to replace it I'll just get a Yuasa. Sometimes it's easier to just play it safe and stick with a proven brand.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yup... nobody has problems with the Shorai. So I bought one. It sucked, but again, no one has problems with them, so I got it replaced free, and that one sucked... sold the bike, the new owner replaced it with ANOTHER Shorai, it too sucked, so he went to an AGM. It worked AWESOME, until the temp dropped to 50F, then it was dead. Place a space heater on it for 10 minutes, BAM, cranked awesome! But who carries a space heater to start their $14k bike with a $200 battery in it?

The battery worked great, until it didn't... below 50F. I found them to be terribly unreliable, and not worth the weight savings and sprag clutches that they destroy. Sprags are expensive, AGM batteries are cheap. I hate space heaters.
That's a shame...can't say what happened to yours but I'll continue to enjoy mine just fine. Had no problem starting any bikes this winter in sub freezing temps, so I don't see any reason to change. I do keep them charged properly though and don't let them get drained all the way. But to each their own. I've not heard of them damaging starters though, I'll keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Sprag clutches get eaten up on some bikes after repeated low power start attempts. Unfortunately, Shorai RECOMMENDS hitting the starter several times to heat the battery to get a full power start in the cold. Which... just ruins sprags. I used the Shorai charger... but the space heater saved the day LOL

·
Registered
877 Posts
Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An update on that:

Had a cold spell at Palomar mountain a few weeks ago and started the bike in 40 to 45 deg weather

with no problem.

This was with just 1 of the mini batteries.

Having some miles on the bikes seems to help.

Have 460 miles on 1 bike and 210 miles on the other.
Yeah. I've used yusa in the past. Lately just been using posts unlimited lead acid ones. Sen to work fine, but like ok said. Every two years, they're shot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts