Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the expected life for a stock battery? I've had the bike for about a year. The battery won't hold a charge.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Search the forum. There is some info already on this topic. You might try google, start your search term with "fz09.org". Your results will be better.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Trickle chargers extend battery life. Look for them on sale at cycle gear on occasion.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The FZ-09 is the second motorcycle I have owned with the same stock battery model. The first battery lasted five years, the second battery lasted less than a year.
In early autumn 2014, I moved the FZ-09's stock battery to my other Yamaha and installed a MotoBatt MBTZ10S.

Agree with beck, keeping the batteries on a battery tender (Battery Tender Jr. and the Battery Tender Waterproof are my choices) when not riding regularly is the way to go. They are inexpensive and draw very little electric current; their results are worth far more than their cost.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Mine is still good to go, but as my batteries start needing to be replaced, they will all be Lithium Iron Phosphate....or LiFePO4. Prices are finally coming down and these are a much better option than lead aid or even the gel cell batteries.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Registered
654 Posts
lithium ion requires a special charger (ask me how I know that's not a theory), they are also more effected by cold temperatures than standard batteries. had one in the SV rated for a V6 car, in the winter getting the bike started before the battery died was still a fight. with the fz being FI hopefully that's not a problem with this bike

·
Registered
962 Posts
15 months and still fine with no battery tender - even though I believe it's a 12 month battery. I can bump start the bike so a dead battery shouldn't ever strand me.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
15 months and still fine with no battery tender - even though I believe it's a 12 month battery. I can bump start the bike so a dead battery shouldn't ever strand me.
If the battery is dead and you push start it, you may still be stuck. I had a cbr that the battery failed and I pushed started it in 2nd. But the bike couldn't charge the battery fast enough to run the digital dash and stock electronics on the bike. I had to park the bike and call AAA.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Going on year and bike still starts. Always use a battery tender over the winter months.
+1 for a battery tender over the winter or long storage periods will help keep your battery fresh and ready to go.

But two other battery killers that are often over looked is:

1). Heat kills a battery more than cold does.
The heat does more damage over the summer months, which usually shows up in the winter as a damaged battery has more trouble starting a cold engine with cold oil.

2). Overcharging is certain death to a battery.
A malfunctioning charging system, usually the voltage regulator, allows too high a charging rate, that means a slow certain death for a battery.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
lithium ion requires a special charger (ask me how I know that's not a theory), they are also more effected by cold temperatures than standard batteries. had one in the SV rated for a V6 car, in the winter getting the bike started before the battery died was still a fight. with the fz being FI hopefully that's not a problem with this bike
Don't confuse a LiFePO4 with a lithium ion battery....two different animals. The LiFePO4 CAN be charged with a regular battery charger (battery tender type) just as long as it DOESN'T have a desulferization mode built into it. It would also not go past 14.4 volts while charging. The LiFePO4 also does very well being stored in a cold environment and is not susceptible the the battery "venting" or exploding if over charged like a lithium ion battery. Shelf life discharge is very low also, without needing to be on a tender over the winter months. I just bought a Ballistic brand LiFePO4 for my Zuma pit bike and cost was almost identical to a quality gel cell battery.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've never killed a motorcycle battery. Even when leaving a bike over winter with out a tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My stock battery was weak after six months. The Shorai sat all winter, did not need a charge when I plugged it in, and cranks the bike instantly with attached GPS on a switched circuit, which my stock battery never did. POS stock battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 2012 CBR 1000rr stock battery is still good. No battery tender on it. I just purchased a new battery from Earth X. I have batteries from Earth X on both of my dirtbike's

·
Registered
83 Posts
My RZ350's battery gave up a couple years ago. I built my own using a 4 A123 (LiFePO4) cells. Been going on 2 years now without a problem. No tender needed. A123 (LiFePO4) batteries will hold a charge for a very long time as long as there is not a constant drain on said battery when the key is off.

Reactions: triplethreat
1 - 17 of 17 Posts