Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the basic Hyperpro rear shock - the Hyperpro 460:

HP-Shock-460-Purple-Basic.jpg

I've read posts by a Dutch owner on an MT-09 forum who said good things about it, and general reviews of Hyperpro on other bikes seem good as well. I asked a dealer in UK if they could get me one for when I'm back there next month, so I can bring back to Thailand. They can get one but have said "We would also recommend purchasing a Hydraulic Preload Adjuster with this shock, as the shock position makes it very hard to adjust without. This is an additional £200.00 [USD 320)]."

I'm not going to buy the shock if I also have to fork out for a remote preload adjuster. I suspect this is just a sales tactic but I'm not very familiar with Hyperpro so would like to know if anyone with more experience of them thinks this statement may be true. Also once I've got the preload set I'm not going to mucking about with it much - solo road use for me 99% of the time.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have the same set up on my bike with the ZX-10 shock. All I need to do is grab the spring and turn it, the perch follow and i can add/remove preload. Kind of PITA and a hyraulic adjuster would make your life easier... but I'm sure you rather spend $200 somewhere else. Gengle tap with a screw drive/hammer is enough to lock/unlock the jam nut.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same set up on my bike with the ZX-10 shock. All I need to do is grab the spring and turn it, the perch follow and i can add/remove preload. Kind of PITA and a hyraulic adjuster would make your life easier... but I'm sure you rather spend $200 somewhere else. Gengle tap with a screw drive/hammer is enough to lock/unlock the jam nut.
Thanks. Yeah, spending the money elsewhere would be preferable. I'm assuming a "gengle tap" is a "gentle tap", not some esoteric engineering term :eek:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both the Penske and Ohlins shocks have an adjustable perch on the bottom. Very easy to adjust. We ship international, so let me know if you're interested in a Penske...
Thanks for the offer. I'm sure the basic Penske would be a great option.

The problem in Thailand is that a package the size of a shock will, for sure, get checked by Customs and then they'll add 30% import tax on to the stated value or the value they choose to set (not to mention 7% VAT). It can be very expensive. If I pick up a shock in UK I can hand carry and keep fingers crossed. If I buy from US and ship to UK, then I'll get hit for 20% VAT. Can't win.

Just got back from a 150 mile round trip on some dreadful roads and it really brought home the need to fix the suspension. One series of road ridges had me pogoing off the seat … one pothole in the middle of the lane bottomed out the front forks. Ho hum.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maxton and Nitron also produce shocks for the MT09 with the preload adjuster at the bottom end so it's accessible on the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why wouldn't you get the Hydraulic Preload Adjuster? I had it on my Ohlins and it was a awesome feature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts