Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The FZ-09 was just too nimble and allowed me to evade and not being taken down by two thrashing alligators.

Today while riding to work on the 09 I was traveling on I-35 with moderate traffic when I found myself in the left lane of the three lane highway. A minivan was ahead of me, in front of it was a flatbed dually work pickup and behind me with a little breathing room was a sedan. We all were in the process of passing an 18-wheeler in the center lane, it was slightly to my rear at about 4 o'clock. We were traveling about 70 MPH when all of a sudden in front of the minivan the dually swerved onto the left shoulder kicking up all sorts of crap, a car in front of it dodged into the center lane, and brake lights were beaming. Instinctively I went into defensive braking to prepare for whatever was to come. Then the minivan's brake lights lit and our distance decreased rapidly. Still not knowing what the hell was going on I couldn't forget about that 18-wheeler because that center lane would be one of my evasion options whereas the left option is only about 3-4 feet of shoulder with a solid concrete barrier. While intuitively awaiting the forthcoming surprise I was also having to judge how much distance I could work with between me and the minivan and keeping an eye on the rapidly approaching sedan in my rearview mirror. Then all of a sudden squirming out from under the left rear wheel of the minivan came an alligator ascending in the air towards me, I swerve to the right of my lane and it passes about chest high without contact. With that near miss avoided abruptly another alligator comes thrashing out from under the center of the minivan and without hesitation I swerved to the left onto the shoulder with road debris and chunks of flying rubber everywhere, again another near miss. After all that and knowing that the predicament has passed with adrenalin pumping I drop a gear, get (speed) through traffic to open road and onto work. When I got to work I noticed my helmet, shield, jacket, gloves, leading edges of bike are all peppered with little concrete (limestone) bursts but no chips, no scratches, no damage. Credit the FZ-09's great handling and my moto experience for getting through it to ride another day.

All's good. I survived and got to my destination. Just another day on two wheels.

Edit: Per Paul G's sharp eyes.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I can’t bet that story but once crossing Wyoming there was a forest fire several miles west of me as I was heading south. Suddenly ahead of me were sticks all the road. Sticks that were crawling across the road, hundreds of them. Feet up onto the tank, swerve, practice my chicane moves, nope don’t want to slow too much either, some big f***ers there. Of course in the end I died. hehe

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have to use this one more time...

The FZ-09 was just too nimble and allowed me to evade and not being taken down by two thrashing alligators.

Today while riding to work on the 09 I was traveling on I-35 with moderate traffic when I found myself in the left lane of the three lane highway. A minivan was ahead of me, in front of it was a flatbed dually work pickup and behind me with a little breathing room was a sedan. We all were in the process of passing an 18-wheeler in the center lane, it was slightly to my rear at about 4 o'clock. We were traveling about 70 MPH when all of a sudden in front of the minivan the dually swerved onto the left shoulder kicking up all sorts of crap, a car in front of it dodged into the center lane, and break lights were beaming. Instinctively I went into defensive breaking to prepare for whatever was to come. Then the minivan's break lights lit and our distance decreased rapidly. Still not knowing what the hell was going on I couldn't forget about that 18-wheeler because that center lane would be one of my evasion options whereas the left option is only about 3-4 feet of shoulder with a solid concrete barrier. While intuitively awaiting the forthcoming surprise I was also having to judge how much distance I could work with between me and the minivan and keeping an eye on the rapidly approaching sedan in my rearview mirror. Then all of a sudden squirming out from under the left rear wheel of the minivan came an alligator ascending in the air towards me, I swerve to the right of my lane and it passes about chest high without contact. With that near miss avoided abruptly another alligator comes thrashing out from under the center of the minivan and without hesitation I swerved to the left onto the shoulder with road debris and chunks of flying rubber everywhere, again another near miss. After all that and knowing that the predicament has passed with adrenalin pumping I drop a gear, get (speed) through traffic to open road and onto work. When I got to work I noticed my helmet, shield, jacket, gloves, leading edges of bike are all peppered with little concrete (limestone) bursts but no chips, no scratches, no damage. Credit the FZ-09's great handling and my moto experience for getting through it to ride another day.

All's good. I survived and got to my destination. Just another day on two wheels.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Glad you're ok -- Good Karma:cool:

Reactions: Horsman

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could have been worse, instead of 'gators it could have been squids.

Great save. I'd have been shaking bad after that.
Yeah it could have been a bad outcome.

But it added some excitement for the day, not really the excitement wanted though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not quite as awesome as alligators, but I had a black bird bounce off my helmet right above my left eye on saturday and had another one stick himself in the crack above my radiator on sunday. Both at about 80 mph. I'll upload the pic when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
OP, this is a great example of one of those crazy scenarios that we all (well not exactly) experience from time to time, and is what differentiates an experienced rider from a novice.

Newbies should pay close attention...all of OP's decision making and reactions happened in a split second, and he handled it like a pro. The reason why the FZ is tricky for a newbie, is that with a poor reaction, even with is nimbleness, being slow or ham-fisted could have caused a wreck...because of strong brakes and unforgiving throttle

So do you reckon those gators were killed when they got run over by the minivan?...That is absolutely nuts...almost like "Sharknado"
Nice work brother, cool story bro! :thumbsup:

Edit: ^^^Wizard

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
OP, this is a great example of one of those crazy scenarios that we all (well not exactly) experience from time to time, and is what differentiates an experienced rider from a novice.

Newbies should pay close attention...all of OP's decision making and reactions happened in a split second, and he handled it like a pro. The reason why the FZ is tricky for a newbie, is that with a poor reaction, even with is nimbleness, being slow or ham-fisted could have caused a wreck...because of strong brakes and unforgiving throttle

So do you reckon those gators were killed when they got run over by the minivan?...That is absolutely nuts...almost like "Sharknado"
Nice work brother, cool story bro! :thumbsup:

There is No Doubt an inexperienced Rider wouldn't have survived w/o a problem...The only question is of severity. Those of us less experienced would have had an Oh Sh t moment, soiled our shorts, and prayed a lot.

(Note to self: Buy box of Depends.)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You guys down there get all the cool stuff thrown at you! I'm lucky if I get a tire or small trailer bouncing into my path... ;) Bravo on the save, could have been a bad day.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Lol. I'm so confused... Actual gators?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Better questions is; how the the hell do a couple of gators make their way onto a freeway..in Texas? Texas has wild gators? Who knew...Glad your okay, though.:icon_thumleft:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

It was getting quite tight there. I wonder if you actually breath when sht like that happens.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Better questions is; how the the hell do a couple of gators make their way onto a freeway..in Texas? Texas has wild gators? Who knew...Glad your okay, though.:icon_thumleft:
This time of the year the highways are littered with them. The Texas heat brings them out.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts