Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations for some good (heavy weight) bar end weights for the Pro Taper bars (14mm ID).
I'd rather not drill/tap the bars for the stock weights and instead use the rubber compression style bar ends.

Stock weights are ~200g, but all the aftermarket weights for 14mm bars I've seen have been super lightweight. Any options in the 100g+ range?

I found these at 90g: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DZYJ184/
But with shipping they'll be almost $60 :confused:

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
Have you considered filling the bar with lead BB's?
I've never done this, but have seen it as a solution for many.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I can honestly say I never considered that.

I do recall from years ago there is/was a product called Bar Snake, which is a rubber liquid you can pour into the bar and it hardens, but I'm just looking for regular bar end weights.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I haven't weighed the bar ends on my '22 MT, but they're pretty heavy. The Gen3 doesn't use the previous style threaded weights, so you could get a set of '21-22 stock bar end weights, and a set of expansion rubbers (not from the MT though, the rubbers are bonded to the bars) and it should work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any reason not to tap the bars? I was a bit nervous to do mine, but was able to do it without removing from the bike at all. I had it bolted to the triple tree, cut both sides with a hacksaw, drilled them with electric drill, and then tapped it by hand with a wrench and some wd40. Cleaned out the shavings with a can of compressed air and a vacuum.

I was able to get the drill bit and tap both on amazon for 30$ or so. I may or may not have returned them afterwards.

I had some amazon expanding bar ends on my former CBR and SV, they work but definitely not as nice as oem threaded bar ends. The yamaha weights are super heavy, and you can add bar end mirrors with a simple pvc spacer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any reason not to tap the bars? I was a bit nervous to do mine, but was able to do it without removing from the bike at all. I had it bolted to the triple tree, cut both sides with a hacksaw, drilled them with electric drill, and then tapped it by hand with a wrench and some wd40. Cleaned out the shavings with a can of compressed air and a vacuum.

I was able to get the drill bit and tap both on amazon for 30$ or so. I may or may not have returned them afterwards.

I had some amazon expanding bar ends on my former CBR and SV, they work but definitely not as nice as oem threaded bar ends. The yamaha weights are super heavy, and you can add bar end mirrors with a simple pvc spacer
Just worried about getting the drill straight etc.

Actually already bought the tap, but figured expanding bar ends would be less risky.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,857 Posts
I've done it. Total waste of time. I still have enough BB's to do 2 more bikes. I'd be willing to let them go for $46.

Since I traded that bike in, I've often thought about the BB's spilling all over the garage or driveway when the new owner took off one of the bar ends.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found that I had a 1/2" drill buried deep in boxes of stuff, so I grabbed a 9/16" bit from Home Depot, drilled and tapped the ends.

Didn't realize that the grips hang over the bars onto the bar-ends by about 1/2" though. Will need to redrill my throttle mounting hole. I had lined up the grips flush with the end of the bar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts