Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I ordered a set of 7/8" bar end mirrors off of ebay but realized that I need to use my stock bar ends or the mirrors won't fit.

Problem is that I need some sort of spacer or tightening the bar end will rub against the grip and prevent it from turning.

I've seen some people use a nylon washer. Is that the best solution or are there other ideas that people are using?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had about six different styles of bar ends mirrors and liked them all-could see clearly past my elbows. Depending on the style of mounting, it might fit over the stock bar end weights. How about a photo of your mirrors? Here's mine on the stock weights-just needed a partial shim around the weight from another mirror kit so the arm could snug up solid. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had about six different styles of bar ends mirrors and liked them all-could see clearly past my elbows. Depending on the style of mounting, it might fit over the stock bar end weights. How about a photo of your mirrors? Here's mine on the stock weights-just needed a partial shim around the weight from another mirror kit so the arm could snug up solid. Works great.
I think I have the exact same ones actually.

So I went to Home Depot looking for the flat nylon washers but they didn't have them. I bought rubber ones instead. I'm going to see if I can measure it out, cut it and then use a zip tie to anchor it in place as a spacer so that I can mount it. If it works, I'll take pictures. Otherwise I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think he is referring to having the stock bar ends turned down on a lathe by a machinist. A few months back there was a thread where someone using a lathe ground a groove into the bar ends for the mirrors to clamp into.

·
Registered
806 Posts
20160429_133538.jpg I just cut a step on the bar end. Some people cut a grove in the middle. It depends on what mirrors you have. Then just spray paint them black again. It's a preference thing to depending on how far you want your mirrors too stick out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I made a video using spacers for the bar ends that I bought on ebay. Check it out. If they are the same bar ends I show the exact size spacers/washers you need.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made a video using spacers for the bar ends that I bought on ebay. Check it out. If they are the same bar ends I show the exact size spacers/washers you need.

Thanks for all the replies. The spaces I picked up from Home Depot today won't work. They're too thick.

I looked up the link you posted in the video and ordered the washers you recommended. Thanks for posting the vid, that's really helpful.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just had mine turned down by a machinist the other day. I gave him the mirror and the bar ends. Everything fits perfectly.
IMG_4147.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was at a dealer a while back talking about bar end mirrors vs Yamaha. He said "get Tenere bar ends". The Tenere has hand guards that bolt into the bar ends. So they have the giant yamaha thread and a hole drilled/tapped that will allow mounting bar end mirror adapters.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
438 Posts
Great vid! Short and concise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post but thought I might help anybody looking for solutions. You can either spend about 25-30 bucks (approximate) and find yourself a local machining company like I did to mill your stock bar ends down to fit the bar ends or buy the 80 dollar equivalent online for the cleanest look. I just sanded them down and repainted them afterwards!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
.63 cents and 10 minutes. Was looking for some pvc as meantioned but found these little couplers. Fit is perfect. Quick hacksaw, sanded them a little and some locktite, done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts