Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
The inside of the stock handlebar is threaded and also inset inside the grips about 3/4" to 1". The stock bar end weight is too large for the 7/8" mirror clamp. Has anyone put bar end mirrors on a stock handlebar and if so, what adapter did you use? Not sure if I should be using the type that spreads open and tightens inside the threaded handlebar like the ones at this LINK. OR do you move the grips inward and possibly clamp onto the smaller portion of the handlebar weight?

I have searched the forum here but it looks like most folks who have done bar end mirrors have also swapped out the handlebar at the same time.

These were listed as adapters for Yamaha but are way too small in diameter. Greggs Yamaha Adapter

Thanks

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I just installed those same Crg bar end adapters this weekend. The bigger adapter is not needed. The smaller ones fit inside one another and expand as you tighten the Allen bolt into the handlebar. Took me all of 10 minutes to install. Worked just fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have installed CRG Arrow bar end mirrors on the stock handlebars.

I purchased these in Size A. Took the colored ring off and attached the Arrow mirrors where the ring was. This type of bar end spreads and tightens against the interior of the handlebar, which is no biggie on the left side, but made me nervous on the throttle side. If the bike went down on that side, or got bumped, or whatever... and the bar end pushed inwards, I didn't want there to be any chance that the throttle could get pinned. So I took the lazy way out and stacked a bunch of oil drain plug washers (that I stole from work, sshhhhhh - the standard Honda size fit perfectly) on the end to form a lazy mans spacer. Then I just slid it into the handlebar so the bar-end would rest firmly against the end of the handlebar without being threaded.

I hope this makes sense... if not I can take some pics and show you what I did....

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
To lucky devil point be sure to check your throttle grip before riding. Mine was stuck and I had to loosen the adapter a bit.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Some pics to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

Seven Honda oil drain plug washers

Slide onto bar end adapter

Slide bar end into handlebar & it rests firmly against the end of the handlebar tube and cannot interfere with throttle

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, info and pics!

Lucky Devil,
My reason for trying this route is to get a better view to my side and behind but now that I've got mirrors in hand, they look smallish. How do they work out in traffic for with regard to functionality? Do they give a clear enough pic to tell if there are cops behind you? (not paranoid or all that crazy but it is just nice to know) Also, what did you do to clean up the place where the factory mirrors were removed from? Looks like Beck just left them as-is from the pic. Just wondering if folks did a full replace of the mirror/control mount or maybe got something to cap the holes.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I had the same concerns when I initially saw them out of the box... but after having used them for a while I actually think they work better than the stock mirrors. Half of the mirror isn't taken up by your arms/shoulders, and since the mirror itself is slightly convex, you get a nice wide view of what's behind you (but also makes things appear further away "objects in mirror are closer than they appear").

I was also concerned that they would vibrate so much on the bar end that the view in the mirror would be a jumbled mess. Not the case either. Nice clear view at any speed.

Would buy them again.

As far as the stock mirror holes, I installed a RAM mount ball on the left side, and just a generic plug on the other.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Beck, how do you like the mirrors vs. the stock ones? i was looking into these as well.
I had CRG Blindspot mirrors on my SV650 and they were awesome. I love the "Zoomed" out view vs. the opposite effect with the stock mirrors.

For the FZ i decided to go a bit bigger and get the hindsights. I just put them on and we have an assload of snow everywhere so i haven't had a chance to test them out yet, but i already like how they look on the bike and just testing them in the garage - they viewing angle is the same as the old ones i had but they are bigger which is exactly what i was looking for.

I've actually never had a bike without bar end mirrors (this is only my second one anyway) but my SV came with the blindspots already installed. I tried to install aftermarket mirrors that are like the FZs on my SV but went right back to the bar ends. In my opinion CRG makes the best ones around for the price.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had CRG Blindspot mirrors on my SV650 and they were awesome. I love the "Zoomed" out view vs. the opposite effect with the stock mirrors.

For the FZ i decided to go a bit bigger and get the hindsights. I just put them on and we have an assload of snow everywhere so i haven't had a chance to test them out yet, but i already like how they look on the bike and just testing them in the garage - they viewing angle is the same as the old ones i had but they are bigger which is exactly what i was looking for.

I've actually never had a bike without bar end mirrors (this is only my second one anyway) but my SV came with the blindspots already installed. I tried to install aftermarket mirrors that are like the FZs on my SV but went right back to the bar ends. In my opinion CRG makes the best ones around for the price.
The CRG internal adapters do not look long enough to reach past the exposed grip and into the bar end, how sturdy are they when installed? The Motovation ones look much longer but close to $100 for bar end adapters is pushing it, still trying to figure out which route I am taking with the setup on mine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The CRG internal adapters do not look long enough to reach past the exposed grip and into the bar end, how sturdy are they when installed? The Motovation ones look much longer but close to $100 for bar end adapters is pushing it, still trying to figure out which route I am taking with the setup on mine.
I'm not fond of the price difference either but decided to go with the Motivation for these reasons:
1) The CRG adapters don't appear to have weight to them where the Motivation weight/slider still functions as a weight (at least a bit more).
2) With the CRG adapters, a dropped bike will definitely make contact with the mirrors where the Motivation weight/slider offers some additional protection
3) As you mentioned, the Motivation length looks like it would work better.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
anybody know of any bar end mirrors that simply clamp onto the stock bar ends themselves? it would be a super quick install, no need to relocate the controls or use spacers or fiddle with anything else.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just installed those same Crg bar end adapters this weekend. The bigger adapter is not needed. The smaller ones fit inside one another and expand as you tighten the Allen bolt into the handlebar. Took me all of 10 minutes to install. Worked just fine.

do you get any vibrations from not having the bar end weights?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have not ridden the bike with these yet there is a foot and a half of snow still outside. I'm hoping potentially to get a ride in this Saturday.

Mikenj - these are short, if you tighten them all the way, the throttle sticks. I backed it out a bit and the mirror is still secure and the throttle does not stick. I'm not sure how it will fair when I finally take it for a spin but the bar ends were $15 a piece so no big deal if they don't work.

To the other comments, these have zero weight to them. I'll report on vibration if any, when I get to finally ride it

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm not fond of the price difference either but decided to go with the Motivation for these reasons:
1) The CRG adapters don't appear to have weight to them where the Motivation weight/slider still functions as a weight (at least a bit more).
2) With the CRG adapters, a dropped bike will definitely make contact with the mirrors where the Motivation weight/slider offers some additional protection
3) As you mentioned, the Motivation length looks like it would work better.
Edit*** Found the pics
nm

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I had the crg adapters (I actually have a set laying around if you're interested)

With stock bars and grips it will stick your throttle tube. Don't recommend these at all with that set up.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'd say that's a better bet. I have the rhinos and they are great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts