Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This is the finished product and below is how I got here.

Started with some 3/16 aluminum flat stock.

Drilled and filed until the bolt head was buried enough for the two pieces to come together

This is the mount that will be stuck on the flat spot under the headlight bezzle.

High quality 3M double sided tape to fasten.

Light is ready to install. I used a little RC servo foam to provide a little cushion and to reduce vibration.

Light is installed. Now time to tackle the wiring.

I used a relay and connected it to the high beam wire. So the light works with high beam only. The yellow wire is high beam switching and power from it activates the relay. The relay receives power directly from the battery.

Let there bee light! I still have to take it out tonight to adjust the angle of the beam.

Total cost right at $200 and a full days work. I work slow and use Fred Flintstone tools.

I am willing to bet that Chris Dolan down in San Diego could do it in half the time. I think he has a full machine shop in his garage. Lol.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sweet! A few more pics and details of the switch and electrical setup would be nice.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got back from a night run so I could adjust the angle of the beam.

Parked it in the middle of my street and walked down about 100 yards to have a look

Holy Moly, It looks like the Santa Fe or Burlington Northern coming at ya!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Just curious, did you look inside the headlight housing to see if you could just drill a hole and use a big ass washer for support. I have never removed my headlight to know.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just curious, did you look inside the headlight housing to see if you could just drill a hole and use a big ass washer for support. I have never removed my headlight to know.
I guess you could but you would have the bolt head and washer inside of the headlight chrome area.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did the relay you used come with the light?

When and if you ever get a chance could you take a few night pics of the rider view with the regular OEM light then the new light set up?

Why did you install this as a high beam only application? is it because this light should night be used with on coming traffic?

Oh and very nice install and work on the DIY bolt mount plate/bole holder. I like how you did the hex socket in the plate.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

When and if you ever get a chance could you take a few night pics of the rider view with the regular OEM light then the new light set up?

Why did you install this as a high beam only application? is it because this light should night be used with on coming traffic?

Oh and very nice install and work on the DIY bolt mount plate/bole holder. I like how you did the hex socket in the plate.
Relay did not come with the light.

Will try and get a night pic going forward.

Used high beam activation cuz that's when you want lots of light. The light is super bright and goes a long way down the road. You want to be able to shut it off so it was logical to have it run with hi beam only.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out of curiousity...did you check for clearance to fender at full fork compression? Would hate to see that purdy install go awry!
Yep got 1 inch to spare. That was the first thing I checked.

Just like Forest Gump... I'm not a very smart man, but I know what clearance is! Lol.

Thanks Nick.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Santa Barbara is far nicer than PA...I guess it wouldn't be a terrible ride out there.;)
It would be a great ride til ya got east of the Rockies.

Then it would become somewhat boring.

A ride that far I think I would want something bigger with wind protection. Perhaps a Goldwing or or ST1300.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
It would be a great ride til ya got east of the Rockies.

Then it would become somewhat boring.

A ride that far I think I would want something bigger with wind protection. Perhaps a Goldwing or or ST1300.
Agreed. It doesn't get good again until you hit Missouri.

I'll be headed out to the Badlands in September...not quite halfway to the left coast, though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I like that light! Riding at night can realy be a challenge so I rarely do that.
I was thinking about a light that you could attach to the upper fork tubes. It turns out Baja designs has a mount kit that does that. I'm not sure if that light you have would work with that bracket or not? this bracket uses hose clamps with rubber pieces on the forks. Wow some of the lights are very expensive!

Fuego, MC Mount Kit

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like that light! Riding at night can realy be a challenge so I rarely do that.
I was thinking about a light that you could attach to the upper fork tubes. It turns out Baja designs has a mount kit that does that. I'm not sure if that light you have would work with that bracket or not? this bracket uses hose clamps with rubber pieces on the forks. Wow some of the lights are very expensive!

Fuego, MC Mount Kit
Hey Orangeman.

I am with ya on the riding at night business. I generally avoid it just like I avoid riding in the rain.

Primary purpose for the light is so cars and other idiots on the road can better see me. Figured it would be cheap insurance for that.

We still need to hook up for a ride some time.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

Any suitable fog lamp or accy relay can be used. They are typically rated at 20 or 30 amps and cost about $6 at your corner auto parts store.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts