Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A modest low side can get real bad on the street.
Mark was not even running hard, tires were warm, road was clean and then boom, the front wheel goes away.
No big deal until he slid into a tree. The bike (Yam 450 motard) has zero damage except a bent shift lever.
Broke his leg in four places and his ankle in two places. Broke his arm and wrist plus one rib. Needless to say, the boy is off the bike for awhile.
He was the seventh guy at UT Medical that was brought in last weekend from The Gap.
Be careful out there folks.

https://xtremesportsphotography.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=10432868&g=0QAK03CS0H

Normally he would be knee down at this point but you can see he was not working hard and our guess is that the front skipped over some ripples that corner is noted for.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ouch. Sending best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Brutal. That had to be the longest, slow-motion slide of his life. Best wishes...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ouch that's a rough one. I have the exact same bike and have never trusted the front end. I've lowsided from loosing the front alot. Trees hurt.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
So that's why they don't use trees as safety barriers at the track.

I've been to the gap one time and rode it 4 times (down and back twice). Quite frankly I don't get the hype, I didn't find it to be that fun. Road was narrow, surface was sketchy in places, and the rock walls and drop offs made the consequences of errors (yours or someone else's) way too high for me to find it enjoyable, especially given the high traffic flow. I got there early and left as it started to get congested and I can only imagine the huge cluster fug at peak day.

I found so many other great roads in the area to ride, I was glad I rode the Gap, and bought a shirt to let everyone know I'm a bad ass, but I have very little desire to return. I might one day, but to me it's not the motorcycling mecca it's made out to be.

Hopefully your friend heals up soon.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Of course you do realize that it's mandatory that your friends new nickname is George, right?

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I'm with Harry. We have a "bikers road' around the Coromandel peninsula, It's a great road I've done it a few times, 180 km's of twisties, but it's full of caged dreamers, Jaffas getting to their beach mansion, squids, and wannabe Rossi's.
The death toll is not attractive.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Good luck on the recovery man, best wishes

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Life has thrown "issues (Financial) "my way. I've had to work to many jobs to keep up. Its been a challenge and I haven't rode much because I've needed sleep in between, lol. There was no way I was letting my FZ go.

I know, I kinda dropped off the cyber planet, but i'm back now, lol.

Life is about working through it all.

Whats been going on up in here?

·
Registered
155 Posts
So that's why they don't use trees as safety barriers at the track.

I've been to the gap one time and rode it 4 times (down and back twice). Quite frankly I don't get the hype, I didn't find it to be that fun. Road was narrow, surface was sketchy in places, and the rock walls and drop offs made the consequences of errors (yours or someone else's) way too high for me to find it enjoyable, especially given the high traffic flow. I got there early and left as it started to get congested and I can only imagine the huge cluster fug at peak day.
Run it in the evening at a moderate pace and it might change your mind. The place turns into a ghost town and it's amazing. Try doing a no/limited braking run to force yourself to stay well in control and it's much more enjoyable.

There are other incredible roads in the area that don't get the same attention, though.

Or maybe it's just me wishing I was closer only remembering the good parts :(

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I was on the fz10 with it's snatchy throttle so that probably didn't help. I think having the fz07 on that road would maybe change my perspective.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts