Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding Hwy 33 (Ojai, CA) with some buddies yesterday and stopped when we found this guy laying in the middle of the road:
Motorcyclist injured in Highway 33 crash - VC-Star

His group was a bit ahead of us pulling out of the gas station as we pulled in. When we found him, he had broken his ankle/shin, blood coming out of his boot, shredded through the chest portion of his dirt-biking suit. Totaled his tricked out BMW HP4 (S1000RR). His buddies were talking about how they were passing/racing each other at 120mph -140mph. The injured guy got passed, and then passed his friend again, went into a left too hot, made it through the turn, went wide and into the dirt shoulder on the right side of the road. He got the bike back on the road, then back in the dirt, and back on the road again, before a trip down the asphalt via high-side. His friend that he passed almost hit him in the process. On our way back down the road, there was a medical evac helicopter attempting to land in the road, and 5 or 6 service vehicles coming up to his aide. Luckily, he’s alive to tell the tale.

It’s the irresponsible crap like this that gives motorcyclists such a bad rep, and it’s dangerous to anybody else riding near these kind of riders.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Dirt biking suit on a street bike? Great idea! Also his friends are a holes for admitting that. Regardless of whether the actions he took are right or wrong, those kind of admissions are the type that can allow an insurance company to deny coverage.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
dirt biking suit on an HP4? geez..I can imagine the damage caused by the accident. at the end of the day he would have spent less money and had a better time going to the track where that bike belongs.

·
Super Moderator
4,015 Posts
Even with all the negatives I hear about living in California, in my other life I would chose Ojai first and Carmel Valley second for places to live.
Sorry for the jackass that ruined the day.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
What a moron. Hopefully, he'll learn from it. Expensive ride to the hospital...which makes me wonder (and I don't want to sound all doom and gloom here)...I need to check my insurance to see if I'm covered for a 'copter ride.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even with all the negatives I hear about living in California, in my other life I would chose Ojai first and Carmel Valley second for places to live.
Sorry for the jackass that ruined the day.
Living in California isn't all bad. It's one of those places where you can surf in the morning and drive a couple hours to snowboard in the afternoon, or vice versa. I've lived in Ojai and it's always one or the other, hot as hell, or damn near freezing. It's a bit out of the way from the rest of civilization.

Highly recommend Santa Barbara, CA. This is where I intend to stay for many years to come. Very 2-wheeler friendly city as well.

What a moron. Hopefully, he'll learn from it. Expensive ride to the hospital...which makes me wonder (and I don't want to sound all doom and gloom here)...I need to check my insurance to see if I'm covered for a 'copter ride.
Yeah, I should probably do the same :D

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
It’s the irresponsible crap like this that gives motorcyclists such a bad rep, and it’s dangerous to anybody else riding near these kind of riders.
I don't like to hear of stories like this because they do give us all a bad name. It's you last sentence that I gave the "Like" for, especially the "It’s the irresponsible crap like" part.

Why is it when some guys get into a group they act like total morons and do stuff they would never even think of doing on their own??? And yes, crap like this belongs on the track not on public roads.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was riding up in Ojai yesterday with the Girlfriend - so we did not hit up the 33 - but we did see the helo and read that blurb in the Star when we got home. Was wondering what had happened.

·
Registered
246 Posts
My regular medical insurance doesn't cover a helicopter ride. It's a separate insurance policy. In some states a ride in a helicopter is more than $25,000 and the annual premium is around $150.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think it is important to mention that if you get stuck paying for a heli ride out of your pocket, every hospital I am aware of will allow you to pay a nominal amount of money every month. And this will not affect your credit. As long as you are paying. I know some people who owes 10's of thousands of dollars and pay $10 bucks a month. Even tho it is less than ideal, at least it won't ruin you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know of one person that their health insurance did not cover the $17,000 copter ride.
Pretty much the only good thing about Canadian Health Care, an emergency situation like that all taken care of at almost no out of pocket cost. That said should you do something non life threatening like blow your knee out you'll be in pain for a long long time before it ever gets repaired, you'd probably be waiting 6-8 months to get a MRI and another year for surgery.

·
Super Moderator
4,015 Posts
I wonder if the extraction coverage provided with a SPOT subscription would pay for a copter ride even though you're on HWY129 and not out in the Bob Marshal Wilderness?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Wow I just came over the 33 today on my way home to SB.

All was calm, all was bright.

I ride the 33 a lot. Week days and week ends but fortunately have not seen anyone get off.

Have seen plenty of crazies up there going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast.

From Ojai to the fire station it is 38 miles of moto gp. But one must discipline that right hand lest you end up going for an unscheduled heli ride.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow I just came over the 33 today on my way home to SB.

All was calm, all was bright.

I ride the 33 a lot. Week days and week ends but fortunately have not seen anyone get off.

Have seen plenty of crazies up there going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too fast.

From Ojai to the fire station it is 38 miles of moto gp. But one must discipline that right hand lest you end up going for an unscheduled heli ride.
I'm in SB as well if you ever want to get together for a ride. When we ride 33, we usually meet at the 76 on Milpas Sundays @ 10am. If we ride 154, we meet at the liquor store next to the entrance of 154 on Calle Real, 10am-ish

·
Registered
75 Posts
Was riding Hwy 33 (Ojai, CA) with some buddies yesterday and stopped when we found this guy laying in the middle of the road:
Motorcyclist injured in Highway 33 crash - VC-Star

His group was a bit ahead of us pulling out of the gas station as we pulled in. When we found him, he had broken his ankle/shin, blood coming out of his boot, shredded through the chest portion of his dirt-biking suit. Totaled his tricked out BMW HP4 (S1000RR). His buddies were talking about how they were passing/racing each other at 120mph -140mph. The injured guy got passed, and then passed his friend again, went into a left too hot, made it through the turn, went wide and into the dirt shoulder on the right side of the road. He got the bike back on the road, then back in the dirt, and back on the road again, before a trip down the asphalt via high-side. His friend that he passed almost hit him in the process. On our way back down the road, there was a medical evac helicopter attempting to land in the road, and 5 or 6 service vehicles coming up to his aide. Luckily, he’s alive to tell the tale.

Reading this reminded me of a friend of mine out in CA. Her fiance "apparently" was cut off on some Highway out there and he crashed broke his back along with other injuries. That happened 2 weeks ago. Via social media the guy has pictures of stunting lane splitting etc.

Other news a military friend of mine is slowly waking up from a coma. He crashed bout 2 weeks ago as well. It was like one after the next. This one his brain was swelling and he is wearing a cooling vest. No clue what happened to him though.

If you crash from normal circumstances ok. But if you do stupid crap and then crash I have no sympathy. Wanna race take it to the track. Just my two cents

1 - 20 of 25 Posts