Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in case of a crash? (small one, where you carry some water and lunch, maybe a change of cloth, nothing sharp)
thanks

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I wear a backpack everyday when I commute in to work. It has a chest strap as well so I feel it's perfectly safe. Might provide some padding if I'm knocked on my keister too...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I wear a backpack everyday when I commute in to work. It has a chest strap as well so I feel it's perfectly safe. Might provide some padding if I'm knocked on my keister too...
I'd think the chest strap is key -- w/o it you're asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have the KreigaR25- it has a option for a back armor or a hydration pack. It has a stiff molding which will surely protect your back in a light crash. They have a quad lock system which securely straps to the chest. I have never had problems with backpacks- just make sure you have a chest strap- and a abdomen strap as well if you can- for a more secure fit. And no loose straps flying around.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have the KreigaR25- it has a option for a back armor or a hydration pack. It has a stiff molding which will surely protect your back in a light crash. They have a quad lock system which securely straps to the chest. I have never had problems with backpacks- just make sure you have a chest strap- and a abdomen strap as well if you can- for a more secure fit. And no loose straps flying around.
+1 for kreiga

i have the r20 and absolutely love it

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think the safety risk some cite as a reason NOT to wear a backpack is exaggerated. As long as you don't load it up with hard things, I would not worry about it. My issue is comfort. It gets mighty hot in AZ and I don't wear one for that reason.

·
Registered
377 Posts
personally I hate wearing a backpack while riding, it makes the steering much more heavy feeling, and (yes this is experience speaking) you will tend to not roll but slide on your side when you crash.

But, that's why I have the luggage rack. I strap my backpack to the seat and rack and off I go. In fact I do this every day with 50-70 lbs of rigging gear.
(edit to add) if you're talking of a small camelbak style pack, those are fine, just make sure there's no dangly bits 'cause they'll end up whipping you over and over and over and over. Anything more and it's better strapped to the bike then strapped to you.

YMMV.

jaz

·
Registered
957 Posts
Depending on how you land and what you may be carrying in your backpack, yes, it can be very dangerous. There was a post on the Kawi ZX6R owners' forum a while back about a guy who was carrying a laptop computer in his backpack and went down. The way the laptop ended up pressing into his back when he landed ended up turning his back protector into something that made the damage even worse rather than protecting him from it.

I have a Knox K-pack backpack but most of the time I'd rather use my Cortech saddlebags.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I crashed wearing a backpack... Just depends what's in it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Wearing a backpack, especially in the heat of summer does kinda suck, but I've ridden with one for 20 years commuting to and from work and I guess you just get used to it. Chest straps are a must to keep it securely in place and I never overload mine because I don't like the heavy feel of it-I just bring the essentials. Personal preference, I guess, but I'd rather backpack it than mount side or tail bags to haul my crap to/from work...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think the question you have to ask yourself is "what am I going to carry in it". If you are just taking a sandwich, bottle of water and change of clothes, then there is nothing really dangerous in the backpack that is going to impose more danger in the case of a crash. For me personally, it was the best option. I use an Icon squad 3.0 which fits the above mentioned stuff perfectly, and that is pretty much all I use it for. There are also tank bags which come in all sizes and might fit your needs better.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The only issue I have with riding with a backpack is if I get caught out in the rain, which happens frequently because, well, it's Hawaii and rain is localized and unpredictable. I don't like the bulkiness and minimal storage pockets of the dedicated waterproof packs, so I end up treating mine with a waterproof spray originally designed for tents and hiking packs which works pretty good, but some water still finds it's way through the nylon in heavy rain and longer trips. Some tank, tail and side bags can be found that are more water resistant or even waterproof if rain riding and wet stuff is an issue...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've been wearing a Alpinestars Charger back pack for work it's got some padding on the back where the logo is.I don't pack much in it bottle water, some tupperware and a extra thin jacket.It doesn't bother me when I ride its real comfortable check out revzilla they have great reviews on back packs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really like the back pack I bought from royal distributing. I plan to do long trips often and I love to bring the basics with me.

I bought IICON back pack and it holds up really well, empty or full. Was worth 100$ canadian.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This bag is avail on Amazon and I think looks great:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts