Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just mounted up my 3rd set of tires on the bike. 4500 miles now on the odometer.

Yea I know I ride pretty hard. Lots of twisty coarse textured roads around here. Combine this with a heavy throttle hand and you get rapid tire wear.

Decided to go with the Pilot Road 4 this time. Took them out for about 20 miles of scrub in this afternoon. So far they feel a lot like the PR 2's that they replaced.

Any one else running PR 4's on their FZ?

Oops the bottom pic is of my previous PR2 so disregard.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Rim Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why did you go with Pilot Road's (sport touring) vs something like the Q3 ? I am debating what to go with when the time comes for me to change.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just mounted up my 3rd set of tires on the bike. 4500 miles now on the odometer.

Yea I know I ride pretty hard. Lots of twisty coarse textured roads around here. Combine this with a heavy throttle hand and you get rapid tire wear.

Decided to go with the Pilot Road 4 this time. Took them out for about 20 miles of scrub in this afternoon. So far they feel a lot like the PR 2's that they replaced.

View attachment 6278 View attachment 6279
love the Michelins but looking at your pics the front one is a PR4 and the back one is a PR2 by the looks of the tread...

·
Registered
96 Posts

View attachment 6278 View attachment 6279
Really keen to hear how you go with these in the twisities?

I do a bit of commuting so looking for tyre life although I also do a lot of weekend twistie runs so I need good grip so im tossing up between a sports touring tyre or something gripier like a pilot power 3 at the expense of tyre life.

sent from my Galaxy S5 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oops wrong pic. I made the correction to the post. The PR2's were the previous tires.

Like Fred used to tell Lamont...."Not even a cool dummy."

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why did you go with Pilot Road's (sport touring) vs something like the Q3 ? I am debating what to go with when the time comes for me to change.
I am trying to get better mileage out of the tires. I am sure the Q3's would hook up great but would not last nearly as long.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also had a set of PR4s installed.
Heard great things about the PR3s and these are supposed to be better than them :)

I got 7800 reasonably gentle KMs out of the stock (Dunlop) rear.

I'm after longevity and all-round ability.

Safe Journeys!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Damn... Track days or just regular riding?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not even 4000kms in........my stock rear Dunlop is absolutely toast.

The monster torque and monster wheelies really loves to chew through the rear on this bike.

Love hearing what everyone is going with.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not even 4000kms in........my stock rear Dunlop is absolutely toast.

The monster torque and monster wheelies really loves to chew through the rear on this bike.

Love hearing what everyone is going with.
Same, not quite 4000k's out of the dunlop. I'm going with a PR2

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I've got a pair of PR4s on mine, maybe 600ks ago.
They are a great cross between the PR3s that I had on a Versys 650 (16000ks before I put on a second set on) and the pilot pures I used on my ktm 640SM and my vfr800 fighter.
The pr4s have great grip in all weathers, but a sharper profile like the pilot power/pures, so they change direction quicker.
I love em.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got a pair of PR4s on mine, maybe 600ks ago.
They are a great cross between the PR3s that I had on a Versys 650 (16000ks before I put on a second set on) and the pilot pures I used on my ktm 640SM and my vfr800 fighter.
The pr4s have great grip in all weathers, but a sharper profile like the pilot power/pures, so they change direction quicker.
I love em.
Sounds good hey?

Have you managed to really lean them over or get much heat into them in the curves?

If so how did they hold up?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I mainly commute on it, and go from job site to job site in Sydney.
No chicken strips on the rear, and 15mm strips on the front. Once I do the front forks, that should help. In traffic and around around town I turn the bike under me, super moto style mostly, and they are really confidence inspiring.
No real need to let them heat up, just jump on and go, very different to the dunlops that were good once they finally got some heat in them, but really sketchy until then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts