Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I often start the bike and pop a baby wheelie in 1st gear, without really trying.

I was wondering if this could be dangerous to push it more still in 1st , as most of riders recommend 2nd gear.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Dangerous? Sure...
Desirable? Certainly!
Throttle control is our on/off switch...wheelie-wise.
Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A properly warmed up bike is a must for sure. But something else you need to consider, is if your tires are warmed up yet?

A warmed up engine and cold tires can make for a very embarrassing slow speed wipeout. Not to mention a possible pricey little wipeout as well, with broken bike and body parts.

I have always used first gear to take off and I don't really give it until I am in second gear. It's not like being on a dirt bike where I might need to pop the from wheel over a log on a tight trail, where you can go fast enough to even get to second gear, lol.

I also don't like taking off hard in first gear from a stop sign or set of lights. All the crap, oil and dirt off vehicles right at the lights is a bad spot, not to mention cross walk lines that can be slick as grease. I wait until I clear the road crap, pop it into second, then take off where the pavement is much cleaner.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Baby wheelies you say?

http://zippy.gfycat.com/BruisedSoulfulAnaconda.webm

My wife wanted to learn how to wheelie on the FZ09 and pulled that as a first gear power-on.

I don't mind a few power wheelies here and there but learning to clutch up provides a much more satisfying and controlled wheelie.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
112 Posts
Most people probably suggest 2nd because it's easier to control. How high in elevation are you? Here at about 6,000 ft with clubman bars I can ONLY power wheelie in first.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
While it is coming up, clutchless shift up to second, then third when it gets up there, and forth if you have enough RPM left. Your baby wheelie will turn into a massive power wheelie.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A properly warmed up bike is a must for sure. But something else you need to consider, is if your tires are warmed up yet?

A warmed up engine and cold tires can make for a very embarrassing slow speed wipeout. Not to mention a possible pricey little wipeout as well, with broken bike and body parts.

I have always used first gear to take off and I don't really give it until I am in second gear. It's not like being on a dirt bike where I might need to pop the from wheel over a log on a tight trail, where you can go fast enough to even get to second gear, lol.

I also don't like taking off hard in first gear from a stop sign or set of lights. All the crap, oil and dirt off vehicles right at the lights is a bad spot, not to mention cross walk lines that can be slick as grease. I wait until I clear the road crap, pop it into second, then take off where the pavement is much cleaner.
haha. i've taken off in 3rd. it took a little bit of trying but it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be..

·
Registered
166 Posts
I cant wheelie the FZ. Im learning balance points wheelies on my scooter right now, Ill take it to the FZ when I get comfortable with it.. Taking off in first one time the front wheel came a few inches off the ground, and I thought I almost died LOL.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
40 Posts
I cant wheelie the FZ. Im learning balance points wheelies on my scooter right now, Ill take it to the FZ when I get comfortable with it.. Taking off in first one time the front wheel came a few inches off the ground, and I thought I almost died LOL.
Unfortunately I am in the same boat with you and no scooter/dirt bike to practice with :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts