Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be checking out the recently repaved Apache trail today.
Google images was showing some Sept 2018 images and the rough road is now gone, especially those nasty cracks that ran across the road every 10 feet that just slammed the suspension. If you call it up and get 2016 images or earlier, you can see how bad it had become.
Best get on it before the heavy vehicles F it up again.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has indeed been resurfaced from AJ all the way to Tortilla Flat. There is even a new roundabout just after you get onto the trail from Idaho road.
The ford at TF is still that lumpy old piece of concrete and the road after that has not been worked on. Though the surface seems weird and not as I remember it.

They are still working on it though and I came across people putting down corner speed signs in the road and then there is a paint striping truck going along with a caravan of pickups with flashing lights.
I did not notice any of the curves being reduced in difficulty. Still blind and reducing radii deals, with patches of loose gravel in places because of the rain. And still no barriers to stop you sliding over the side.

Fun ride though. Ideal for a lightweight bike like the....

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Rich, have you ever taken 288 up towards Young? Very nice ride and great scenery and photo ops. I spent a few winters in Mesa with my Bandit and did that road several times. There was a very short section of dirt then back to good pavement...if that dirt section is still there its fairly short and in good shape so dont turn back! Takes you up into the high country.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&ei=VYTHW8n4Jcj8jwT1zr1g&q=apache+trail+road+arizona&oq=where+is+apache+trail+road+ar&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30k1.10005.10631.0.13599.3.3.0.0.0.0.120.340.0j3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.337...33i22i29i30k1.0.H4RY1iqKbaY

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
It has indeed been resurfaced from AJ all the way to Tortilla Flat. /QUOTE]

Well that there looks to be one of the best 15 mile stretches of motorcycling anywhere. What a cosmic experience it would be to have the whole 40 miles paved all the way to Roosevelt.
I've always liked your part of the world. Well...at least when it's below 85F.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Rich, have you ever taken 288 up towards Young? Very nice ride and great scenery and photo ops. I spent a few winters in Mesa with my Bandit and did that road several times. There was a very short section of dirt then back to good pavement...if that dirt section is still there its fairly short and in good shape so dont turn back! Takes you up into the high country.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&ei=VYTHW8n4Jcj8jwT1zr1g&q=apache+trail+road+arizona&oq=where+is+apache+trail+road+ar&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30k1.10005.10631.0.13599.3.3.0.0.0.0.120.340.0j3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.337...33i22i29i30k1.0.H4RY1iqKbaY
I have not done the 288 to Young, probably won't do it as the arthritis in my hands kinds of stops long distance riding now. I do remember taking the 60 out to the salt river canyon with a couple of guys. There are a couple of nice hairpin turns going down into that. I was on a 700 Intruder at the time and I remember going round the last hairpin on the way back grinding the right footpeg support all the way through the curve. (not hard, it grounded easily). Must have made lots of sparks cos when I got home I had a look and the support was ground half way thru. Fun.

I did take a 1250 bandit up to Flagstaff via Clints well/Mormon lake. Nice run, not a lot of traffic. Got all kinds of leg cramps on the way back, had to get off at one point... then 3 days later I couldn't sit down at work (cad jockey). That's when I knew my long distance days were over.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has indeed been resurfaced from AJ all the way to Tortilla Flat. /QUOTE]

Well that there looks to be one of the best 15 mile stretches of motorcycling anywhere. What a cosmic experience it would be to have the whole 40 miles paved all the way to Roosevelt.
I've always liked your part of the world. Well...at least when it's below 85F.
You wouldn't have liked yesterday then, it was 90F. But it is cooling off a bit now :)
It would likely break the bank to pave it all the way - little problems like fish hill would make it quite costly.
Don't you love those "crash barriers" - more like edge markers for a steep cliff.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Rich this has nothing to do with the subject but you may find it helpful. Several yrs ago I was diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in my left hip as well as an inflamed disc that was causing big time sciatica pain down my left leg. My doctor prescribed an anti inflammatory that was a game changer for me...allowed me to work pain free from the arthritis as well as getting rid of the sciatica issues. The relief was dramatic and immediate...pretty much over night! Its slow release that was to be taken daily but I find I can take it every 2nd or 3rd day and still be pain free. No cure for arthritis, but the pain causing inflammation is gone!
This is how it is on my prescription bottle..."DICLOFENAC SOD SR 100MG"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will be checking out the recently repaved Apache trail today.
Google images was showing some Sept 2018 images and the rough road is now gone, especially those nasty cracks that ran across the road every 10 feet that just slammed the suspension. If you call it up and get 2016 images or earlier, you can see how bad it had become.
Best get on it before the heavy vehicles F it up again.
Good news!

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Wow, what a great road. You guys that live anywhere near there are super fortunate.
Sadly it's so far out of my reach I can only dream of riding it but then I guess I think of Jessica Alba the same way!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Talking about Arizona roads, is the Highway 191 portion around the Morenci Mine closed for an overhaul this summer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts