Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share an excellent mirror option in my opinion. I cant remember which built thread it was but someone posted a link to these mirrors:
Aluminum Tomok Rear Side Mirror Fit Yamaha R1 R6 FZ6 FZ1 FZ FJR Fazer XT WR TT R | eBay

I just purchased a set and am extremely pleased! Not only do they look almost exactly the same as the Rizoma ones, the build quality is very good. I cant compare the quality to the Rizomas as I have never actually held a set but I couldnt be happier with these for $40. I did stop by fastenal and swap out all of the screws for black ones just for my own preference and I also got come longer screws for better thread engagement. But overall I think I spent a total of $46 for some billet aluminum mirrors that look great and give a much better view of whats behind me. Ill try to post some pictures of them installed this afternoon.
Rizoma Tomok Mirror Black (Each) | Motostarz.com | Motostarz.com

·
Registered
555 Posts
I also have these on my bike, awesome quality for the price and look mint.

Hey Supe..............I took the mirrors, dismantled them and painted all silver/steel hardware black. Then re-assembled. Looks 100% better.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Beware guys, word of caution, my bolts that came with were too long and were bottoming out on the bars. Some wont know what to do in that case.

Was there a simple fix? Yes.

2-3 washers underneath the mirror assembly will lift it up just enough for the bolt to actually lock down tight.

And paint those washers black too lol. Paint everything not black, black!!! Looks so much better.

You will be surprised to find that all the parts, are CNC aluminium. Even the end caps. And Rizoma wants half a million dollars for their mirror offerings. No thanks, I will just by 100 sets of these ones.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Poogamer is correct! Washers fixed me right up! I also got a screw that is about 1/4 longer for the one that holds the mirror arm to the base, the supplied one only engages about 2 threads and stripped. And thanks R1 superstar! i never would have guessed these would have been worth a crap.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I bought them out of curiousity more than anything else. I have seen the Tomok style Rizoma mirrors in person on another bike, and really liked them. So I looked around for alternatives first, and bingo!!! First set I tried, matches Rizoma quality pretty much all the way. The anodizing isnt as black as it could be, but that doesnt bother me really. I'm gonna be taking them back off and hitting with some matte black to match the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Beware guys, word of caution, my bolts that came with were too long and were bottoming out on the bars. Some wont know what to do in that case.

2-3 washers underneath the mirror assembly will lift it up just enough for the bolt to actually lock down tight.

And paint those washers black too lol. Paint everything not black, black!!! Looks so much better.

You will be surprised to find that all the parts, are CNC aluminium. Even the end caps. And Rizoma wants half a million dollars for their mirror offerings. No thanks, I will just by 100 sets of these ones.
Not that I'm knocking your fix or anything, but why not just cut the bolt down slightly? Then you wouldn't have to paint additional washers. But either way, cool looking mirrors!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is there a specific part # for the FZ-09 as it says they dont fit this model? I would like to get a set as i am tired of looking at my shoulders and they look nice!!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Left bolt was too long; about 4mm. I used my dremel to cut it. I also emailed the seller and got $8.00 in refund.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Left bolt was too long; about 4mm. I used my dremel to cut it. I also emailed the seller and got $8.00 in refund.
I thought about cutting the bolt when mine arrive. But leave the nut on so when you back it off it will retread. I'm thinking ??

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not that I'm knocking your fix or anything, but why not just cut the bolt down slightly? Then you wouldn't have to paint additional washers. But either way, cool looking mirrors!
Hmmm let me see.

Which is easier.............adding a couple of 1 cent washers and squirting with a rattlecan?

Or cutting down a bolt, repairing the thread, and hoping it still seats properly? And then trying to locate another reverse thread metric bolt in that size when you muck it up?

I work in metal fabrication as my career, I took the easy and simpler route lol. And most people have access and the ability to add washers. Not cut bolts.

And they are damn fine specimens of mirrors, cheers!!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Razzle said:
Is there a specific part # for the FZ-09 as it says they dont fit this model? I would like to get a set as i am tired of looking at my shoulders and they look nice!!
They fit. These are universal. Will fit any bike, that has a mirror mounting like ours does. Will fit literally hundreds....probably thousands of bikes.

Dont buy them if your sick at looking at your shoulders though.........thats about all you can see with these. Not for function at all, all for style. I can still see behind with a bit of a shoulder drop/arm tuck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What about visibility??? Is it better or worse??? I am getting old and I want to see when I get rear-ended so I can have the common courtesy to give a reach-around.... LOL

Reactions: phasterthanyou

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hahaha.....worse.

Smaller mirrors by about half, and dont sit as high. Plus I have mine as low as possible to the bars for that street fighter look. About an inch above my hands.

I love that movie.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts