Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

What is your average gas mileage on your bike?

• 20-25mpg STOCK

• 25-30mpg STOCK

• 30-35mpg STOCK

• 35-40mpg STOCK

• 40-45mpg STOCK

• 45-50mpg STOCK

• 50mpg or better STOCK

• 20-25mpg TUNED

• 25-30mpg TUNED

• 30-35mpg TUNED

• 35-40mpg TUNED

• 40-45mpg TUNED

• 45-50mpg TUNED

• 50mpg or better TUNED

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some comments in another thread made me want to verify a theory of mine. Would you guys mind taking this poll? I'm not looking for absolute best or worst, let's compare averages, the longer term the better.

And can you please select the gas mileage range that applies to whether your bike is STOCK or TUNED.

Thanks! Who knows, we might actually learn something!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
621 Posts
My mileage changes significantly depending on what kind of riding I"m doing. I get way less MPG when I'm blasting through the twisty's than when I'm commuting to work or running a long stretch of highway.

My gauge says 46.2MPG average over the last 5000 miles. I've only hand calculated at the pump the first 2 or 3 times when I got the bike and the gauge estimate was always less than 1/10th off of my calculated average.

Reactions: Peter Scholz

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mileage changes significantly depending on what kind of riding I"m doing. I get way less MPG when I'm blasting through the twisty's than when I'm commuting to work or running a long stretch of highway.

My gauge says 46.2MPG average over the last 5000 miles. I've only hand calculated at the pump the first 2 or 3 times when I got the bike and the gauge estimate was always less than 1/10th off of my calculated average.
Ok that's right on, I'm talking about an average like that, 5000 miles. Gas mileage over a hundred or a few hundred miles doesn't mean much. What that says is how your bike is doing with YOUR riding overall. And as far as using the digital readout numbers or by miles/gallons actually ridden/used, it doesn't really matter for this.

And obviously not all aftermarket tuning is going to be the same, did I suggest it was? There are multitudes of different ways you can set up a tune. Some are simply different, not better or worse but often they are different in a very bad way. I've looked at thousands upon thousands of different engine calibrations and logs from those calibrations, stock and modified, in all kinds of vehicles. One thing has always been consistent with aftermarket tuning, 9 out of 10 "tuners" have little to no experience/training/knowledge/understanding/talents in the areas of engine calibration outside of WOT dyno tuning. In other words, most people selling tuning services don't do things like fuel mileage or driveability properly.

That's MY opinion, based on over 4 decades of doing it for a living. And notice I didn't accuse ANYONE of ANYTHING in that, I'm simply talking in general terms when referring to "tuners". I've seen and read some things that are giving me the impression that there's a fair amount of guys riding these bikes with sub-optimum tuning. (And the fuel mileage is a BIG deal on these bikes since the tanks are so small.) I could be wrong in that, that's why I'm trying to learn more through asking people questions and putting up this poll. Learning is good, that's what I'm here for. And whatever I learn I freely share, otherwise it's worthless.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
621 Posts
9 out of 10 "tuners" have little to no experience/training/knowledge/understanding/talents in the areas of engine calibration outside of WOT dyno tuning. In other words, most people selling tuning services don't do things like fuel mileage or driveability properly.
I agree with this - if you're going to buy a tune it is very important to research who's doing it and how happy others are with their work. Anyone can buy the cables and the software to 'flash' these, but it takes knowledge and effort to do it right.

Reactions: gmtech16450yz

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You hit on the biggest problem with the whole aftermarket tuning world, people have NO IDEA what they're getting. All you can do is depend on feedback from others, which in this case is extremely undependable because ALL of that feedback is by "feel", with none of it based on actual data. It's very difficult to be objective when you have money invested in the process.

On top of that, there is absolutely no oversight from any organizations because for 99% of the applications, it's illegal!

Think about it, how many things do you buy where something is in a box, but you can't look in it and have no idea how it's different than any other product in the same box? That's crazy when you think about it. The only thing worse would be buying drugs off the street and injecting them into your body. YIKES! Now obviously that's a harsh comparison, nobody is gonna die from having their bike tuned, but I've seen WAY too many engines killed from bad tuning.

·
Vendor
1,295 Posts
i can only respond for myself, i spend a lot of hours data logging the bikes in real world riding conditions to get proper fueling in the part throttle tables. As you say most tuners do not do this, I do.

I did not say that you said all tuned bikes would be the same but you only gave people one way to respond to tuned or not tuned. This is what elicited my response of not all tunes are going to be the same.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
621 Posts
i can only respond for myself, i spend a lot of hours data logging the bikes in real world riding conditions to get proper fueling in the part throttle tables. As you say most tuners do not do this, I do.

I did not say that you said all tuned bikes would be the same but you only gave people one way to respond to tuned or not tuned. This is what elicited my response of not all tunes are going to be the same.
And the customer reviews show this - lots of people with lots of miles on your flashes - and they're all happy. I don't think I found a single negative (long term) review. At worst people sent their ECU's back for minor adjustments before being satisfied. You probably know better than most how many 'hacks' there are out there, where customers end up coming around to you to fix it later.

It will be interesting to see if/how many people respond with lower or higher than average MPG in the flashed category - then we can ask 'who's flash'. I love data!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
621 Posts
@ChrisFlip401 - what kind of riding do you do and who flashed your bike?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You can put in whatever model you want and see how it looks. We still need more data in our poll but it agrees with Fuelly in that a total average "should" be around 44mpg. Hmmmm. Isn't that exactly what Yamaha claims?

I'd still like to see the difference between tuned and stock though. We need more voters in the poll.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had my bike reflashed by vcyclenut. I was concerned as I did have a 1250 bandit reflashed by Dale Walker and that resulted in my gas mileage going to the shitter. The reflash from Vcyclenut did not alter my mileage which remains the same at 5 liters/100km. Quite the feat as the bike now has a smooth FI map and the bike is a joy to ride. Recently on a 1000km trip two up fully loaded I got down to 4.7 liters/100km, and I was flogging it pretty hard.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
621 Posts
You want good mileage? take it easy with acceleration.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
(n)😴- no fun at all - acceleration is what makes riding so much fun.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
602 Posts
You want good mileage? take it easy with acceleration.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Play a game in your car if you have a mpg guage. Slow and steady to speed limit and quick to speed limit on a tank of fuel and see what your readings are. You may be surprised. My issue isn't the take off....its the knowing when to level out. Out in the country you can get up there really quick! I see the "eco" as my bike calling me a bitch lol.. I need to be the bigger person and ignore my bike in the name of mileage...

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
375 Posts
The best part of the acceleration isn't necessarily the acceleration to me (though it is a hoot) - it's the growl this triple makes. It sounds so good. I just want to hear the bike get rowdy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts