Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone wired up their aux lights as additional signals? I swapped in amber leds last week and was thinking about changing the wiring up a little.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be nice if one of the plastics companies made some aftermarket headlight stays without the horns for the signals

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yep. I was the first one doing it I think. Chad hook me up when I did my HID retro fit. Running/signal lights. Ask Chad, he will help you out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Going to revive this thread instead of making another. After installing the flush mount front signals, I am a little concerned with visibility from oncoming traffic. I would like to wire these aux lights in the headlight to the blinkers and possibly keep the running lights function on them. Would it be as simple as splicing the hot wire on the aux light to the hot wire for the turn signal using some Posi-taps?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Get with Chad... it is a very simple widget to put in between the light - running/signal wire. Need 2 of them, one per side.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Has anyone wired up their aux lights as additional signals? I swapped in amber leds last week and was thinking about changing the wiring up a little.

This is easy and FREE. No added gizmo required.
Cut the ground wire to each aux light in the headlight and tie it into the {+} wire on the respective turn signal (not the running light {+ }wire in the signal stalk - the actual blinking light wire). Yes, it will work!
What happens: The aux. light gets a ground through the turn signal until the signal is activated, then it loses it's ground and goes out. When the signal blinks, it will get a ground again and illuminate momentarily. The turn signal and aux light will alternate on that side until the signal is canceled.
I have red LEDs beside the incandescent bulbs in the rear turn signals of the Super Tenere and the FZ-09 wired this way.
Here's the Tenere. The photo doesn't do it justice.
IMG_6866.JPG IMG_6867.JPG

·
Registered
768 Posts
A better set of images from my former DL1000:
Running lights1.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
I put LEDs in the aux spots myself. Just haven't rewired them. I might do that when the headlight assembly's off for the headlight wiring recall upgrade."
IMG_7423b.JPG IMG_7425.JPG

·
Registered
768 Posts
In a case of practice what you preach. Here are a few clips of this afternoon's project. After unplugging everything to the headlight assembly and figuring out the hard way how the connectors are anchored to a small removable panel on the back of the headlight bucket, I took the whole thing inside to the AC comfort of the kitchen.
There, I found the white plug behind the headlight that has two blue and two black wires going from it. The black wires are the grounds to the two running lights beside the headlamp. The blue wires are the (+) feeds. I cut each black wire and added approximately 10 inches of extension wire to each. Then I carefully opened the tape and covering to each turn signal wire near the connector end. There's a brown wire in one and a green wire in the other (I can't remember. You'll see if you try this mod). Those are the respective (+) turn signal feeds. I soldered the jumper wires to them, heat shrink covered everything back up and tested them out before re-installing the headlight.
The test went great and I discovered a nifty side-effect. The emergency flashers blink in sequential order - turn/running/turn/running- , too!

·
Vendor
772 Posts
Wasn't tripage working on lights for the false air scoops?
Yes we are working on the air scoop lights on our donor bike now. This will be really bright. I think you all will like it. T

·
Registered
320 Posts
This is easy and FREE. No added gizmo required.
Cut the ground wire to each aux light in the headlight and tie it into the {+} wire on the respective turn signal (not the running light {+ }wire in the signal stalk - the actual blinking light wire). Yes, it will work!
What happens: The aux. light gets a ground through the turn signal until the signal is activated, then it loses it's ground and goes out. When the signal blinks, it will get a ground again and illuminate momentarily. The turn signal and aux light will alternate on that side until the signal is canceled.
I have red LEDs beside the incandescent bulbs in the rear turn signals of the Super Tenere and the FZ-09 wired this way.
Here's the Tenere. The photo doesn't do it justice.
View attachment 9586 View attachment 9587
Thank for this. I did a similar mod to my last bike but I used a relay and a pound of wire to locate the relay behind the fairing. This will be much easier.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In a case of practice what you preach. Here are a few clips of this afternoon's project. After unplugging everything to the headlight assembly and figuring out the hard way how the connectors are anchored to a small removable panel on the back of the headlight bucket, I took the whole thing inside to the AC comfort of the kitchen.
There, I found the white plug behind the headlight that has two blue and two black wires going from it. The black wires are the grounds to the two running lights beside the headlamp. The blue wires are the (+) feeds. I cut each black wire and added approximately 10 inches of extension wire to each. Then I carefully opened the tape and covering to each turn signal wire near the connector end. There's a brown wire in one and a green wire in the other (I can't remember. You'll see if you try this mod). Those are the respective (+) turn signal feeds. I soldered the jumper wires to them, heat shrink covered everything back up and tested them out before re-installing the headlight.
The test went great and I discovered a nifty side-effect. The emergency flashers blink in sequential order - turn/running/turn/running- , too!

Any chance you are still around to clarify this? Are you using a jumper between the two complete circuits, or are you simply attaching the aux lights onto the turn signal circuit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know that this is an old thread but I have a question that has stumped me. I Cut the black wire (Ground) from both aux lights and wired them to the respective + wire for each turn signal (Brown on one side green on other I believe. I had everything running correctly but then when I cut the other blinker wires to remove clutter, both lights went out completely. I thought maybe a burned out the bulbs but tried a new light this morning which worked, then now joined in to not working. Can someone please help me with what I might have done wrong? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts