Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check my math here. I have a Samsung S9+ that can handle quick charging rates. Lot of videos and how-to for connecting to the AUX ports, but I don't see anyone discussing the issue with the 2A limitation. The quick chargers will back down to 2A, but then you aren't getting the full quick charge speed.

On the MT-09 17+, there is a grey Aux on both sides at 2A, and clutch side has white Aux at 5A. The white 5A is meant for grip warmers. The USB I'm going to install has an inline 10A fuse.
I plan to use the grip warmer connector and up replace the 5A fuse with a 10A to match the inline... or possibly get rid of the inline. Seems redundant. I don't want to go straight to the battery since the LED display on the USB port is always on.

My electrical skill level is dangerous at best, but I think the grip warmer 5A fuse needs to be upgraded to get the full benefits of a dual port quick charger.
Let me know if this seems wrong.

·
Vendor
772 Posts
USB chargers are based on what they output for power/draw, it's not based on what power they have going to it.
Both of the aux powers are 12v regardless of what is connected, if the grips pull more power that 5amp is better rated for it. Your phone isn't drawing 10amps to charge, I can tell you that. What usb are you using that has a 10amp fuse?

·
Registered
355 Posts
i would recomend NOT swaping the 5A fuse for 10A. if the wiring can not handle the amps you risk an electrical fire.

most usb ports you buy for motorcycles are rated at 1-2A pr port and will not have support for quick charging.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quick charge rates are on the order of 3A. Don't use the inline fuse, use the grip warmer connector. I read somewhere on here there is a way to set the max output of that connector, you will want it turned up all the way.

I agree with peabrain, the fuse ratings are based on the expected load and wiring. Don't change to a higher current fuse.

·
Registered
989 Posts
+1 on not swapping fuses. Idk how small the wire is but the wire is sized to supply enough current to the load, and the fuse is sized to protect the wire from burning up. If you want to increase current carrying capability... You should be replacing the wire not the fuse.

Sorry idk jack about USB charging and what not though, but I can't imagine them pulling any more than 5A.

Other word of warning... I'm not sure if these connectors you speak of will turn off with the ignition. But a 3A quick charge with the bike off could drain our little batteries real quick.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For quick charging a cell phone with more than the 1-2amp that normal USB ports for bikes allow, you will need the following:

1. USB port for motorcycles that is compatible with quick charging and supply higher amperage. Good luck finding quality stuff. There are so many options from unknown brands. I got some, but dare not post on here what they are since they are horrible in quality ( I also don't remember the name right this moment ).

2. What ever amperage is your charger, you will need to connect to a circuit that handles that amperage with the appropriate fuse. Simply swapping an existing fuse for a higher amperage will NOT get you into the Navy Blue Angles or the Air Force Thunderbirds, even tho you might be making some cool smoke down the road!

Please share your choice in USB charger for your bike since we'd like to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts