Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This feels like a topic that has been addressed before but I can't find an answer. I want to do my first oil change today (170 miles) and I'd like to pick up oil and a filter at an auto parts store on the way home. I'm able to find motorcycle specific oil in stock, but I can't figure out what filter to use. The online guides only have car/truck filters listed.

So, anyone have part #'s for filters that I could find at a normal auto parts store?

For oil, how many quarts are needed and is there a preferred standard weight? 10-40?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I would not change the original oil until after 500 miles, if not more, and don't change to synthetic till after 1,000 miles. If you feel you should change out the filter,then do so. I always pre-fill my filters, even if they are mounted sideways. That way the engine doesn't run without oil pressure any longer than needed. Be sure to re-check fluid levels...and when pulling off an old filter, be sure to check that the old gasket came off with it. A double gasket situation will result in a gasket blow-out with a quick loss of oil and pressure. Hope you don't mind the advice.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This feels like a topic that has been addressed before but I can't find an answer. I want to do my first oil change today (170 miles) and I'd like to pick up oil and a filter at an auto parts store on the way home. I'm able to find motorcycle specific oil in stock, but I can't figure out what filter to use. The online guides only have car/truck filters listed.

So, anyone have part #'s for filters that I could find at a normal auto parts store?

For oil, how many quarts are needed and is there a preferred standard weight? 10-40?

Thanks!

K&N 204 will work and most auto parts stores will have that..and yeah,10/40 is the recommended grade

I would not change the original oil until after 500 miles, if not more, and don't change to synthetic till after 1,000 miles. If you feel you should change out the filter,then do so. I always pre-fill my filters, even if they are mounted sideways. That way the engine doesn't run without oil pressure any longer than needed. Be sure to re-check fluid levels...and when pulling off an old filter, be sure to check that the old gasket came off with it. A double gasket situation will result in a gasket blow-out with a quick loss of oil and pressure. Hope you don't mind the advice.
no reason not to change it, there is nothing magical about the oil they put in at the factory...and no reason no to go right to synthetic oil either if thats your preference. .

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Jonlong go ahead and change the oil, I did my first oil change when I got home from picking the bike up from the dealer. And for oil, 10w40 is just fine, 10w50 if it gets really hot where you live.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I have plenty of mechanical car experience, but this is my first bike, so all advice is welcome and appreciated. Picked up a k&n 204 filter and 3 qts of conventional 10-40 motorcycle oil. I'll switch to synthetic at 600 or so.

Loving it so far!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You should be able to find Castrol Grand Prix Motorcycle Oil pretty easy as well. They make a 10W-40 and 20W-50 blend if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Purolator PureONE PL14612. At 1500 miles I did my fourth oil change to 100% synthetic.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
first change at 200 for me - lots of metal shavings and bits in the oil filter based on another member cutting theirs up and posting it on the forum. Really no reason to wait until after 500 miles. K&N 204 on mine as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Purolator PureONE PL14612. At 1500 miles I did my fourth oil change to 100% synthetic.
Not sure if this is an issue with the FZ but when researching filters I found this on the Purolator website:

What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

PowerSports Filters

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not sure if this is an issue with the FZ but when researching filters I found this on the Purolator website:

What About PureONE

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

PowerSports Filters
Yeah, I'm aware of this but as Fizzerpilot said, haven't heard of anyone having any problems with the PureONE filters. It may be to protect Purolator from the owners of some bikes with low oil pressure that seize. Companies often charge more for bike specific products, also. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
What About PureONE

this is silly.

1) a bike's not a vehicle?
2) 'Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure'. even if oil filter efficiency had any significant effect on oil pressure, oil pumps have pressure relief valves that open when pressure exceeds a certain point. also, they're basically saying their motorcycle-specific ml filters are low efficiency.
3) notice they don't actually go into specifics about how their motorcycle filter line meets the specific needs of a bike

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Do you need motorcycle specific oil or no...as long as it is the right weight...
You need a non energy conserving oil since you have a wet clutch and not every oil is compatible with wet clutches
so while you do not need a MC specific oil, its easier to buy the MC oil just to be sure your using the right stuff...at least it is for me.

Reactions: RickyNY and beck
1 - 20 of 39 Posts