Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Motorcycle helmets with head-up displays and augmented reality were science fiction just a few years ago. But now major helmet manufacturers and startups are working to incorporate Google Glass-like functionality into their gear.

The latest company to throw its brain bucket into the ring is Skully, but the Silicon Valley company isn’t content with simply providing navigation and phone connectivity. They’re upping the ante with a 180-degree rearview camera.

The Skully P1 combines smartphone-pairing and voice controls with a HUD showing both turn-by-turn directions and a full 180-degree view of what’s behind the rider. According to Skully, that not only provides a complete view of the rear, but entirely eliminates blind spots.

The Skully Synapse HUD is integrated into the helmet visor and appears to float around 20 feet ahead of the rider’s field of view. Although the map is persistent, two views are available: one with a simple design incorporated into the rearview display and another for more detailed turn-by-turn navigation. Skully claims the lithium ion battery is good for nine hours — a full day’s worth of riding — and the helmet will meet both the U.S. DOT and European ECE safety standards.

Full story here: This Slick Augmented-Reality Helmet Has a Rearview Camera, Weather Reports | Autopia | Wired.com

Apply to become a Beta Tester here: How to Get a Skully ? Skully Helmets

Skully Website

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
That's pretty cool. Won't be long before it can interface with the motorcycle itself either :)

That would be pretty sweet, you could have your speed and RPM visible all the time, without having to glance down. Or it could even toggle to show stats like your current lean angle... I'm getting ahead of myself :p Cool stuff though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow that little video that had was pretty cool i can't wait till this is a reality will any bugs fixed. I feel like i will be getting one when they become readily available. Good find nickj!

·
Registered
347 Posts
That's pretty cool. Won't be long before it can interface with the motorcycle itself either :)

That would be pretty sweet, you could have your speed and RPM visible all the time, without having to glance down. Or it could even toggle to show stats like your current lean angle... I'm getting ahead of myself :p Cool stuff though.
Honestly you aren't. It'd be pretty easy to get RPM and speed pretty easily off of the ECU. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the traction control bikes were already calculating lean angles either. It'd be nice to see a GPS track overlay too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts