Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 MT09 and I just purchased and installed the brake and clutch levers. The brake side is perfectly fine, functions as normal. When installing the clutch side, I can not tighten the nut that holds the clutch lever in the perch any tighter than hand tight. If I do it keeps the lever from functioning. I’ve tried putting a little bit of grease but no luck. Any ideas? I have contacted ASV but no luck with them yet.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That nut has a Nylon ring in it to hold it in place and is not to be over tightened . I can hold that nut with my fingers and rotate the screw if you go any tighter the lever will not move in the perch !

·
Registered
302 Posts
Maybe the bushing is a hair too short compared to the stock one? Or maybe that part of the lever that holds the bushing is thicker than OEM?
When the nut is tightened down, it's supposed to clamp down against the bushing, not the lever. If the bushing is too short or the lever too thick, it will bind up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe the bushing is a hair too short compared to the stock one? Or maybe that part of the lever that holds the bushing is thicker than OEM?
When the nut is tightened down, it's supposed to clamp down against the bushing, not the lever. If the bushing is too short or the lever too thick, it will bind up.
That is exactly what I was thinking with a little more troubleshooting. I’ll mention that to ASV and see what they say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you transfer the bushing from the stock lever to the new one? I had the same problem and ended up tightening the perch too tight onto the new lever and making it difficult to install it correctly the second time around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you transfer the bushing from the stock lever to the new one? I had the same problem and ended up tightening the perch too tight onto the new lever and making it difficult to install it correctly the second time around.
I didn’t try that. That is something I will try this weekend to see if I have any luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn’t try that. That is something I will try this weekend to see if I have any luck.
I made the mistake of tightening down the perch onto the lever because it felt loose, kind of like you're talking about. I ended up having to kind of bend the perch back open and tap the lever into place with a mallet because I'd made it too tight. Hopefully that makes sense. Best of luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I made the mistake of tightening down the perch onto the lever because it felt loose, kind of like you're talking about. I ended up having to kind of bend the perch back open and tap the lever into place with a mallet because I'd made it too tight. Hopefully that makes sense. Best of luck!
Absolutely. I don’t think I’ve bent it yet because I have checked it before I got that tight and it still was having mobility issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts