Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Yes they do but it kills the ignition so everything in the trany is free spinning most like pulling in the clutch for a smooth engagement !
Actually, its nothing like pulling in the clutch, it is like letting off the throttle which "unloads" the gear train allowing the shift to occur smoothly .

Pulling the clutch separates the input shaft (gear train) from the output shaft, a quickshifter or clutchless shifting does not.

I agree^ manufacturers wouldnt bother fitting stuff not needed...like a clutch.....
Its needed, its just not needed for shifting once the bike is moving.

Reactions: NCost
Actually, its nothing like pulling in the clutch, it is like letting off the throttle which "unloads" the gear train allowing the shift to occur smoothly .

Pulling the clutch separates the input shaft (gear train) from the output shaft, a quickshifter or clutchless shifting does not.

My bad ! Do whatever you want to do but I use it all the time....this is like a oil thread...so go with your choice !!

my 2 cents;

quick shifters and clutches work differently (as has been said) but both reduce load on the transmission so dogs can slide to disengage and engage. Without using a clutch and absence of a quick shifter then it requires throttle reduction to unload the transmission. Damage occurs when loading is not reduced adequately for the dogs to disengage the old gear then re-engage the new gear. I think the OP's bike jumping out of gear is a result of this. I think this has already been said in various ways.

Reactions: RazzleH and abe57
Damage occurs when loading is not reduced adequately for the dogs to disengage the old gear then re-engage the new gear.

100% correct...so do it right or dont do it......and just so you know, bad timing on the clutch release can cause damage also..so I guess the moral is, if you cant ride, you may damage your bike....:)

When you take your hand off the throttle while accelerating your clutch automatically engages somewhat not all the way. So shifting if you time it right without a clutch is quite all right. You can upshift and downshift if you get the synchrony together. What can happen is if you forget what gear you’re in and you shift it down too fast or up to slow you’ll either over or under rev the engine which is bad for it! originally manual transmissions the driver had to match the road speed versus the engine speed to shift into gear‘s. If this doesn’t happen it does not matter because the transmission will not allow you to shift into that gear. Synchromesh or constant mesh eliminated that variable so that you could shift into fifth gear and be going 10 miles an hour or first gear and hopefully not going 50 mph!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.