Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my DBKiller from the machinist and created a video of the before and after. I added two holes to the existing three rows, added three more rows, and a hole in the end cone. The sound is perfect for me now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When we initially did the dyno test here in Seattle with Nels in April for the Arrow exhaust we found no horsepower gain with the db killer in but we gained almost 10 hp with it out so I decided to leave it out .Have you tested it on the dyno to see if you made any gains doing that ?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am the dyno. I hate paying to have someone wring the shite out of my motor. Also, I am the end user, so I really don't need that level of accuracy. I have done my share of riding with grip markers for percentage throttle in the old days of custom mapping PC's, so I have a good feel for what to look for. Third gear wheelies let me know if I have made any strides.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Also, I would say that by the sound and feel, I have opened up the exhaust a good 60% by drilling it as much as I did, so I am hoping for a good 6hp based on your information. My Auto Tune table will show me exactly where and how much of a percentage adjustment the bike needed to maintain a proper AFR. I will include a screenshot of the table when I am through. I will zero it out before the ride. Great question, for sure.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Ya do that would be curious to see what you gained.I've noticed my exhaust has quited down some since new with the db killer out or maybei I just don't notice it as much ha ha.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the table of adjustments by the Auto Tune up to 7%. The air quality today was the best that it has been all year. 67° and overcast. I lost a tad of power down low, but it is kickass from mid to top. The sound does not get at all loud until you wring its neck. Overall I am totally impressed. A couple of more trims and it should be spot on.
dbkiller.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I logged 120 miles today in the twisties, and the power gain is impressive. I may have gained more than 6hp.I found myself running forth gear in a bunch of turns that I normally run in third. It was just too damn stout in third. Third gear clutchless power wheelies are back and my fork tubes are slid up 8mm in the triple clamps. This is the first chance that I have been able to push the Traxxion cartridges. At first I thought that I had too much preload, but I have since adjusted the rebound to a harder setting than recommended, and backed off of the compression a hair. It was too firm, twitchy and bouncy based on stock recommendations.. Also, I had to add a click on the steering stabilizer because of the reduced rake. I found myself slicing and dicing the turns and was able to easily change my line mid-corner without unsettling the chassis. The bike is more than I ever bargained for in its current configuration.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
That Arrow has a great sound doesn't it Doug! It's almost better than a sexy woman talking dirty to me! :cool:

Reactions: rtsb and DNFDOUG
1 - 12 of 12 Posts