Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've never bought a new vehicle before. this may well be the only one i ever do! but i have been told numerous times that the msrp is always high and you can talk a dealer down. what is your plan on this? i don't want to walk in there and say "yeah i want this for $8k exactly, taxes and charges included" and look dumb. but i think that's reasonable. or maybe even $7500? idk. the dealer probably gets them for $6700 or something.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Many dealer will sell motorcycles at some price below MSRP, just like car dealers do. When is the last time anyone paid window sticker for a car/truck, unless it was a limited edition, collectors item, etc. The issue with this bike though is that since it is a completely new model when it hits the showroom in Sept., I would think that many, many dealers will want full MSRP. Three or four months later, let's say Jan 2014 and they still have a couple of FZ09's on the showroom floor that haven't sold (I really don't think this will happen), then they will be more willing to come off of MSRP and start dealing. It's very similar to the car/truck market when a brand new model comes out (the new Dodge Challenger a couple of years ago), they want full tilt for them and when they find out that they have a lot more availability, then the prices come down. One other thing to consider on this bike. I started a thread a week or so ago stating what my dealer told me about availability. Here is that link to the thread....

http://www.yamahafz09.com/forum/2-fz-09-news/77-important-fz-09-information-please-read.html

If this is really true, there are only going to be so many of these bikes available the first model year, and further, if these bike are a hot seller and the dealers are running out of them, most likely you will not be able to buy one for anything less than MSRP. It's the old supply and demand thing going on there........just like trying to buy a generator for power, after a really bad storm or tornado has hit an area. Demand goes sky high and pricing does too sometime.

And in conclusion, I am paying full MSRP for the one that I've got ordered, but they are waiving off the freight and setup completely. If I would choose to wait till maybe Dec/Jan and try to buy one, there may or may not be any left for the 2014 model year. If there are some left, I might be able to get a better deal than what I am going to pay for getting the bike in Sept. Only you can make that decision and weigh out the facts and be willing to either take that chance or not.

Hope that helps ya on your decision.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I tend to agree with triple here. It is going to depend on the supply and the demand. If in fact the supply is going to be limited like that post suggests, there will be a shortage, and thus a higher price for the ones that are available because the market will bear it. On the flip side, there could be a shortage and in your area, no one wants the bike, in this case, they will be more likely to come off the price a little.

It all depends on how bad you want the bike. If you absolutely are not willing to pay up, you rund the risk of not riding the bike. If you HAVE to HAVE the bike, then expect to pay for it, and be delightfully pleased if they deal. The Rule of Thumb when dealing with the dealership is to be willing to walk away. Remember, you have the money and they have the bike. They want the money just as bad, if not more so than you want the bike. You have the power here.

(Just so you know, I worked at a small indie car dealership that was a super laid back fixed price store, not a buy here pay here, but a high end, the price is the price, and it is below the other guys kinda place) Anyway, I have been in business for a long time, and the dealership has to pay their bills too, so you cannot expect them to sell you a bike at a loss and expect that they will be in business when you need service. Let the place make a dime or two. Now, I hate the corporate dealerships just as much as the next guy, and I am okay shaving them down to the bare minimum because they make their money on volume, so I don't feel bad about only giving them one dime instead of two.

Sorry, back to buying this bike for you. Do not be surprised if you are going to be asked to pay full MSRP. The bike is not out yet, and they are probably taking orders and deposits. This is a clue to the dealership that they are not going to sit in the showroom long, so that means that they don't have to move on the price too much. Also, don't believe a word they say about the interest they are already seeing. If they see you standing in the store with $500 of deposit in your pocket, they are going to tell you that the neon purple bike that has square wheels that you are the only person in the world wants to buy is the HOTTEST bike in their showroom and they have a guy headed to the bank as you speak getting his money for it, so you had better steal it from him and put your money down now. After all it is first come first serve.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I expect to pay full MSRP but like triple said, try to get freight and setup taken off the table. I have bought two new bikes prior to this one and both dealerships were quick to agree to that. Like Nickj said, they have to make $ too. That doesn't mean you have to give them as much as they want, just find a price you are comfortable with. I always try to negotiate the OTD price I want to pay, how they derive that is up to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, i'm not really optimistic about getting one from the first shipment honestly. it'll probably be next summer before i'm ready. i'm about to go into a full time live-in academy for about 8 months starting in january. i plan to get one as soon as i get out. so i'll be looking at the 2015 model year. this is just most likely. i could probably finance one this fall when they come out if there's one around. i'm not putting a deposit on one though. so i guess i'll expect to pay full price if i get it this year, but maybe i can talk them down if i get it next summer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I put money down and the dealer said he doesn't even know what the price is yet, I know him and no deals on this one ! not for some time anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
How could he/she NOT know? My dealer has already given me a total price out the door...bike, tax, title, and doc. fees. Seems to me that they may be trying to set you up for some "additional dealer markups."

Reactions: NickJ

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sounds a little fishy. I can do the math and give you a ball park. What is your tax rate there?

$7990 + tax + freight (a couple hundred dollars) + setup (this is where they are going to try to stick it to you).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put down my deposit today. The dealer gave me a basic print out of the pricing... taxes, assembly, and freight ($453!) would have put it around $9100. I told them we would hash out the details when the bike arrives, but I did tell them that I like to negotiate the OTD price and that usually just involves me removing the freight and setup fees from the final total. The kid helping me was said that's fairly standard practice. So I am guessing all we will have to come to terms on is what they are going to give me for my trade in when the time comes.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Awesome news for sure. Just make sure that you do your research and find out what you trade in is REALLY worth. In the state of TN, as is the case in other states, you only pay sales tax on the trade difference. Sometimes, if they are pretty close on trade in pricing, it's just easier to trade in than to take the time and effort to sell a bike and then have to pay sales tax on the full amount. Plus, if the bikes don't start arriving at the dealerships until September sometime, in many areas of the country the riding season is really starting to wind down and people are not as interested in buying a bike; like they would be in April/May/June. Good luck and I hope you get the deal that you are looking for.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Awesome news for sure. Just make sure that you do your research and find out what you trade in is REALLY worth. In the state of TN, as is the case in other states, you only pay sales tax on the trade difference. Sometimes, if they are pretty close on trade in pricing, it's just easier to trade in than to take the time and effort to sell a bike and then have to pay sales tax on the full amount. Plus, if the bikes don't start arriving at the dealerships until September sometime, in many areas of the country the riding season is really starting to wind down and people are not as interested in buying a bike; like they would be in April/May/June. Good luck and I hope you get the deal that you are looking for.
I believe it is the same way here regarding trade. They are offering me about $400 less than I think is fair for trade in but we will have to see if we can work a deal.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
When I sold my DorsoDuro, a couple of dealerships offered me in the $4100 to $4200 range for the bike. I ended up selling it for $6500.......so that was certainly worth the time and effort (about 3 1/2 weeks) and maybe $50 worth of advertising. It's a decision only you can make and it sounds like you are pretty close to what you want for the bike (trade value wise).

·
Registered
699 Posts
Dealerships will try to rip the trade so that they can seemingly offer you a deal on the bike you are trading in to. They give you less so they can charge you less. We all know that. The best way to get money out of whatever you have is to sell it private party. This is where patience really does pay off. If you have the time and want to put the effort in, you will certainly get the reward.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The bike I am trading in on it I absolutely love and is perfect 90% of the time. Its a 2011 cbr250r, its a blast to throw around but I want something I can ride two up on and also, being able to pass someone in a hurry is nice. They offered me 2400 sight unseen, but I feel like 2800 would be more reasonable, would save me the hassle of dealing with the low ballers on craigslist to only get maybe 200 more than I want.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If this helps anyone, I just put down a deposit and negotiated $200 off the retail for $7790. But they would not budge an inch on the outrageous freight/prep charge of $495. Told me it was the law they had to charge everyone the exact same fee. Is this true in my state? Who knows. But he couldn't produce the name or text of any statute/regulation when I asked.

So anyway my OTD price (bike, taxes, tag, prep) after $500 deposit was $8,480.

Can't wait 'till September.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
No idea about Florida on the F. & S. law. I know it's not an issue in TN, as my dealer is completely waiving the money and selling the bike at MSRP to me. Bike, tax, title, and tags are approx. $8800.......unless I can get them to come down a bit more at the time of delivery. :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was told by a few (non-sales & sales) employees that most Jap bikes have a 7-9% mark-up. So that would put cost at around $7300. Don't know if that's true or not, but seems about right to me.
I've heard as high as 25% mark-up from non employees, putting cost around $6400.

IMO it's a GREAT bike at MSRP.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No idea about Florida on the F. & S. law. I know it's not an issue in TN, as my dealer is completely waiving the money and selling the bike at MSRP to me. Bike, tax, title, and tags are approx. $8800.......unless I can get them to come down a bit more at the time of delivery. :cool:
$8,800 sounds like a great deal, that's what I'll shoot for with my dealer, I know he likes it when I bring cash. I bought 2 new quads from him last year, I paid in cash, and he told me it saved him $200, can't remember the reason he told me.
I paid $7,800 for an '09 Street Triple R (used w/1,600mi on it). Then bought an '11 STR, and sold the '09 for the same price I bought it for (after about a year and a half of ownership and 5,000 miles). As I have said before, I'm glad I sold both the STR's, as I think now that the news is out on the FZ-09, the price of street trips is gonna take a dive. The FZ-09 is great value for the dollar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having been a Yamaha dealer, you can believe me when I say the profit margin on new bikes is pitiful. We made our profits from parts & service. We would on occasion have some sport come in to tell me that CamRod down in Manhattan would undercut our price by $40.00 and I would encourage them to buy it there.

Of course, when they came in for the free initial service, I would tell them to take it where they bought it, down on the West Side of Mid-town Manhattan. That sent the message!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts