Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Including his weight with gear on would have been helpful....

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Judging from his picture, he is a lean 170lbs, which would put him around 185 with gear. Anyone over 150 lbs. with gear needs suspension upgrades on the FZ

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I will say it. Knowing damn well that the average person in the USA well over 160 lbs, it is downright dangerous to sell this bike in the US with such an undersprung suspension. I really hold back in the corners until I have enough money to replace the rear shock and rebuild the front forks. Unfortunately, you can only do so much to these forks. Anyone know of other forks that will fit this bike?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He mentioned reflashes the ecu, I told him he should join the forum and talk to Nick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I will probably try that, but our forks are freakin weird man. Only really got action in one fork. That really freaks me out after riding on 48 mm and 50 mm forks for so long.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Having different damping, spring rates, etc in the 2 sides has been done often enough by different companies (I think for high level racing too) to be acceptable. I understand Yamaha not putting racing forks on an $8k bike, what upsets me a bit is that they didn't do the no-cost stuff, like springs a bit stiffer and 10w oil.

I forget how the Stoltec 25mm fork cartridges are, um, one side does compression and one side rebound? Not really an issue to me, I'm sure they are better than my riding lol. If I recall right from earlier threads the 09 forks are longer (steering head higher from the ground) than is common on sport bikes, so finding used forks from another model isn't easy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Last I saw according to Ari's posts on Facebook he is now running a ZX10 rear shock and had the ECU work done by Flash-Tune, which is the same company Stoltec uses.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I will say it. Knowing damn well that the average person in the USA well over 160 lbs, it is downright dangerous to sell this bike in the US with such an undersprung suspension. I really hold back in the corners until I have enough money to replace the rear shock and rebuild the front forks. Unfortunately, you can only do so much to these forks. Anyone know of other forks that will fit this bike?
Typical design is a lot of compromise pack in one big unit. Personally I rather drive a bike with a spring rate 50 in/lb too soft for me than 50 in/lb too stiff. On the soft side its not fast but its safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts

The G.P. Suspension cartridges are very good. I have a early release from Stoltec Moto, and I am very pleased. I have a video of the forks in action HERE
They feel plush and have much better bottoming resistance. The vid shows a good bit of travel, but they never bottomed out. 3/8" to go:cool:

Knobby, you've see the Stoltec 25mm fork cartridge? How much better do you need the forks to be?
X2-Nick will be testing these at the track this week!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have met Ari and I doubt he weighs 170 as he is not a very big guy. My best guess is he is more like 150-160 lbs.

Reactions: younglion

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Well I'd say closer to 145 now that he cut those damn ugly dreads off.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thought this was pretty cool - a response from the man himself and a shout out to Nick making strides with some "celebs"

Picture1.jpg

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Beck, thanks but I wasn't able to read the resolution of that. Can you give a link or higher res?

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | Doin? Time | Motorcyclist

I see that but not yours.
It wasn't easy...but you actually can read it if you squint and look for context.
I'll paraphrase.

Beck: check out FZ09.org and stoltec moto, he has fixed a lot of stuff with the bike
ari: nick and I have been emailing for months
beck: right on! We all like your article

·
Registered
238 Posts
Huh?..He is tall and thin. 170 sounds about right.

I met him at Laguna 2 years ago and WITH dreads he might have been 5'9ish tops, far from tall.

Either way, now it's all gayed up and I don't feel comfortable talking about another dudes physique this way - I'm out!

:cool:

Zack Courts must be 6'10"....

Forward it to 6:10ish for a real world comparo...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts