Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is looking to pick one up. According to the dealer, it is a 2013 that they've had since december 2013 in the crate. Recently added it to the showroom. Dealer is offering it for $8k. (msrp is $8699)

So does anyone have any thoughts on this bike? Aprilia in general? Reliability? Cost of ownership? Maintenance?

Aprilia Shiver 750 | Naked Bike | Aprilia USA

·
Registered
835 Posts
Rode one recently, was not a fan.

Decent powerband, pretty cool undertail exhaust (if you loved the 90s) but overall uninspiring bike.

If the dealer was dropping the price lower, like $6,500, it'd be a steal for a new bike but hardly a competitor to the FZ07.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
^^^^^^ +1 on what he said.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Had looked into it before the FZ came along. I would have taken the KTM Duke 690 over it.
They had even dropped it to $7500 for a while in Brooklyn. It just seemed to do okay in everything- not much fun in general.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the thoughts. what about cost of ownership? I just don't want to see him end up with something that is gonna be sitting in the shop half the time, or something that is gonna cost him a ton on maintenance.

My friend has a thing for the italian bikes which is why the fz07 doesn't do it for him. I tried to talk him into the 07 but he's not interested. He was between a monster and this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My dealer is Yamaha, Ducati, and Aprilia dealer so I had the pleasure of testing riding the FZ-09, Shiver, and Monster extensively all in the same day. The Shiver and Monster both have some of the great Italian styling that you would expect and the Shiver has a very comfortable seat and riding position. I wasn't willing to pay Monster money so my choice was between the Shiver and FZ-09. My dealer was offering me the Shiver at $7690 OTD and FZ-09 at $7990 OTD so the pricing was really no longer an issue. After taking them both out for a second ride I really just fell in love with the FZ-09 and it became an emotional decision. I just felt more connected with it and not to mention that damn engine! The Shiver I rode had the same if not worse fueling issues that the FZ-09 had. The Shiver is a perfectly fine mid-level street bike with that grunty V-Twin sound and there are several things to like about it. It simply doesn't compare to the overall fun factor of the FZ-09 though. I haven't regretted the decision I made that day for even a second.

·
Registered
835 Posts
thanks for the thoughts. what about cost of ownership? I just don't want to see him end up with something that is gonna be sitting in the shop half the time, or something that is gonna cost him a ton on maintenance.

My friend has a thing for the italian bikes which is why the fz07 doesn't do it for him. I tried to talk him into the 07 but he's not interested. He was between a monster and this.
If he wants Italian, you have to do Ducati. They have a much strong dealer network and parts availability.

I have a friend with an RSV4, which she loves, but as soon as something breaks it's weeks until you can get a replacement part.

The Monster is a solid bike overall especially if you're looking at a M1100. Ohhh wee!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My brother put 80,000ks on his 2008 model- he bought it new.
No major problems, and it left him stranded a couple of times for minor things like a $20 sensor failing. Over 80,000ks, pretty bloody reliable. I borrowed it quite a few times if my bike was being serviced or whatever.
He loved it- his first unrestricted bike. His first bike was a Suzuki gs500.
Like piggy, I thought it was a bit bland, ok at stuff, not brilliant at anything. Sounded awesome with akras. He traded it earlier this year for a new tuono.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What jocoman said. Way back I tested a demo Shiver, and really disliked the on-off throttle.

Irony isn't it with similar fuelling issues on the FZ-09!

·
Registered
168 Posts
When i bought my 09 the dealer had two shivers on the showroom both 2013 models and the price was only $6999. I went to get the shiver but for 1K more decided to go with the 09. You should be able to get a 2013 model well less than 8K. For the same price the shiver vs the 07, dont care what anyone says go with the Aprilia dont think you would regret it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
When I was shopping for a new bike in the summer of '13 I considered the Shiver (and Triumph Street Triple R) before I saw the early reviews of the 09. One of the reasons I didn't go for the Shiver is the weight, I don't recall but isn't the wet weight 460 or so pounds? Because of that, same price, I'd go with the FZ 07, for me light and nimble is better than HP. YMMV

·
Registered
168 Posts
The shiver has a weight about the same as the 09 one was 188kg and the other was 189kg if i recall right. It does carry its weight totally different though feels like more weight up high and toward the front of the bike but it very comfortable compared to the 09 would be alot better long ride bike for sure.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The shiver has a weight about the same as the 09 one was 188kg and the other was 189kg if i recall right. It does carry its weight totally different though feels like more weight up high and toward the front of the bike but it very comfortable compared to the 09 would be alot better long ride bike for sure.
Shiver is 480-485 pounds with full tank of gas.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Shiver is advertised at 416 lb dry weight. Add 3.63 gallons of fuel, 3+ qts of oil, coolant, etc and the weight difference is substantial. Now move over to the motor........FZ09 vs. the Shiver = not even in the same ball yard!

I owned a 2009 DorsoDuro and even though in the year that I owned it I had zero issues, it just doesn't seem to be on the same quality level as the Japanese bikes, especially the Yamaha. The Dorso and the Shiver share the same motor and the FZ EASILY puts the Shiver/Dorso to shame.....I wouldn't even be a consideration for me. FZ09 hands down.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys. problem is he's not comparing the shiver to any yamaha be it the 09 or the 07. He is looking at italian bikes. I will forward the thread to him and let him read through it all. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Among the Italians, I would say look at Ducati- larger dealer network, more parts, and they are surely getting more reliable. Plus, more bragging rights! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts