Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contacted APE about making a manual tensioner for the fz 09 cct and they are in the process of building it.....stated it SHOULD be ready in the next 1 1/2 weeks...Im down for one....

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Thanks Gearmasher. Maybe ask APE about a group buy for the forum? Fizzerpilot already has a list of likely costumers. ;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i guess somebody sent ape an 09 tensioner - that was why they weren't able to make one before. i wonder if they'll still ask people to plug up that internal oil passage, or if they'll machine the tensioner body to fit tightly against it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Would replacing the OEM CCT with this one require any additional maintenance (i.e. does a "manual" one by APE require more adjustments vs. the OEM CCT that is self adjusting?)

I've never had to mess with a CCT until I got this bike so i'm a dunce in most things related to this (aside from the helpful instructions that this forum has already provided).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I didn't know anyone was willing to buy an aftermarket tensioner, Graves has had them for a while now just not advertised. Fizzer-fix was the best deal i thought. I can find out how much graves is selling them for if someone is really interested.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Is there much difference in an APE/Graves manual CCT and having to readjust the Fizzer/DIY fix once in awhile?

A manual tensioner needs adjusting how often? Seems like it would be every several thousand miles.

If you look at the 3rd photo for the Graves R1 CCT there is what must be an oil passage...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I would not put too much focus on the R1 design, Only reason I referenced was because of the finish and build quality is the same. I don't recall the oil passage for the FZ-09, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, I don't doubt the quality of the APE and Graves CCTs. I guess I was asking/saying there might not be much advantage of getting them compared to the Fizzer/DIY fix, will need to adjust as often and easy either way.

Plus avoid new gaskets, risk of the chain jumping a tooth during install etc.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You are right Bob...

Why buy a manual tensioner, when the OEM tensioner works fine manually with the set screw. It is probably more difficult to over tighten the OEM as well, as you are releasing a spring against the chain, and not a rigid bolt.

$11 or $150...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didnt see anywhere on graves site that a r1 tensioner fits a 09....I would be more concerned with the stock tensioner imploding at some point causing god only knows what kind of damage....The APE tensioners look like they go between 60-100 dollars.....I am buying one for sure when they become available and keeping my 03 version on order also....It was supposed to ship last friday called today to verify and was told it didnt.....canceled the order and went with someone else, they should start shipping on the 16th....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You found an OEM tensioner that will ship on the 16th?

Stadium Yamaha won't answer my attempts to get a date from them on mine...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went with rocky mountain atv today and after the order it states will be in stock on the 16th and i should have it between 20th-25th so we shall see...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts