Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
APE's site only shows a tensioner for up to '17 FZ/MT's. That should work in my '18, right?

Damaged the stocker while doing my valves and a new one is way more expensive, may as well go with the APE.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did some searching and found a Chinese knockoff that said fits all years through '20. Guess I'll go with it.

Don't know how the other got jammed but now the allen wrench just spins inside it. On the good side, all of the valves were spot on after re-shimming. Damned exhaust cam kept jumping a tooth on the chain while tightening the caps down. Now I wait for the new cct to arrive and button it all up.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the zipties eventually, thought I could get it without. Silly me.

New adjuster arrived today, looks enough like the stocker that I'm sure it will work. Too warm in the garage to work on anything right now (85) after sweating my ass all day at work. I don't tolerate the hot/humid like I used to. We went from mid-April temps to late July in 2 days. Next week is supposed to be close to normal.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CCT arrived, install wasn't too bad. valve cover gasket was a SOB, couldn't get it to stay in the groove for anything until I went to O'Reilly's and bought a can of Permatex spray hi tack gasket sealer. Got it all buttoned up, sync'd the throttle bodies, put the airbox back in, mounted the tank and seat, then, as I go to change the oil, there's oil dropping down the water hoses.

Going to see if a guy I know will take a look at it this week. I can't see where exactly the oil is coming from, my eyes haven't been the same since the laser surgery, my reading glassed weren't helping. I give up, see what someone else can see. All I could tell was it doesn't seem to be coming from the valve cover gasket. The only wet area was below/behind the header, between the #2 & #3 cylinders, near the overflow bottle.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Double checked the breather hose, not it. Thanks for the reply. Oil is coming from the little hole below the #3 exhaust port. WTH?! Where does this lead to and why only the #3?

·
Registered
3 Posts
APE's site only shows a tensioner for up to '17 FZ/MT's. That should work in my '18, right?

Damaged the stocker while doing my valves and a new one is way more expensive, may as well go with the APE.
I have an ETL Manual Cam Chain Tensioner on my MV, moslty because the design on the mv the tensioner is prone to getting stuck. But i do recommend you to get an original tensioner. You shouldn't think in expensive/cheap when doing motorcycle maintenance, get the technical best solution. A manual tensioner takes quite a bit of art to get it calibrated correctly and it need recalibrating very often, depending on how often you use it. Forgetting it or setting it incorrectly can cause catastrophic failure, and possibly an deadly accident. Manual tensioner are intended for use on engines that get serviced very often. Like race engines. The self calibrating features of the OEM tensioners are a very important feature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts