1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nope, why would you? It takes $10 from "E"...

Besides, this is a long stroke engine, 11.5:1 is quite high...

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
does the owners manual not recommend 91? ..I thought it did...anyway,I run 93 but I'm running a modified map with extra timing.

·
Registered
852 Posts
This is a good question. For work I make frequent trips to Utah and have noticed at the pumps, 85 (really?), 87 and 89. Seems to me someone from Utah could help answer this question.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In Greece,we have 95,98 and 100 octane fuel. I'm waiting my bike.The first time I'll go to put fuel in the tank I will put 100 octane fuel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I notice the difference between 86-87 and 93.

I stick with premium. It's not that much more and I feel the performance hit going to a lower octane.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
89, it does fine. There is more to gas than the octane rating though, so some 89 might be ok in a particular engine and other 89 not ok.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
In Greece,we have 95,98 and 100 octane fuel. I'm waiting my bike.The first time I'll go to put fuel in the tank I will put 100 octane fuel.
You have the same fuel we do, but you guys rate it differently. your 100 octane is about the equivalent to our 93 octane
Code:
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Abbreviation[/TD]
[TD="width: 25%"]Definition[/TD]
[TD="width: 60%"]Notes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]RON[/TD]
[TD]Research Octane Number[/TD]
[TD]UK, Europe, South Africa & Australia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]MON[/TD]
[TD]Motor Octane Number[/TD]
[TD]Motor sport applications. Measured under more severe conditions  than RON (higher revs etc). Usually 8-10 units lower than the RON.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]RdON[/TD]
[TD]Road Octane Number[/TD]
[TD]Average of RON & MON. Usually 4-5 units lower than the RON. USA, Canada[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]AKI[/TD]
[TD]Ant Knock Index[/TD]
[TD]Average of RON & MON. Usually 4-5 units lower than the RON. USA, Canada[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]PON[/TD]
[TD]Pump Octane Number[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD](R + M )/2[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Octane number, Octane rating or octane[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Could refer to any of the above, if you can work out which country the article was written in you should be able to work it out.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is a good question. For work I make frequent trips to Utah and have noticed at the pumps, 85 (really?), 87 and 89. Seems to me someone from Utah could help answer this question.
Simple non technical answer: Higher Altitude requires lower Octane Ratings.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Owner's manual says 91 so that's what I use. If it said 87 was okay, that's what I'd use.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
In my backyard, which sits at 1170 m (3838.5 ft) as per my handheld GPS. We usually have three fuel grades. I always go for the 91 Octane, because it contains no ethanol. There is a lot of debate right now that ethanol damages your fuel system. My brothers mechanic shop sees a lot of fuel system problems caused by ethanol. From rusty fuel tanks, gummed up fuel pumps and eaten up injectors. It's the corrosion that ethanol causes that makes for the expensive fuel system repairs.

Standard Grade Fuel - 87 Octane and may contain up to 10% Ethanol blend
Mid Grade Fuel - 89 Octane and may contain up to 5% Ethanol blend
High Grade Fuel - 91 Octane and no Ethanol, at the good suppliers

Some place sell 93+ Octane Fuel, but it gets quite pricey.

The higher octane will help keep your fuel system cleaner and last longer.

·
Registered
418 Posts
With almost 5000 miles on my bike I've used 93 every time but once. We were in the mountains of VA and 2 stations only had 87, the third only had 89 no ethanol. Since I was running on fumes I had no choice. I didn't notice, hear, or feel any difference. But I still won't use anything but 93 unless I'm in a bind and need fuel.
If you use anything higher than 93 without the engine being totally built, you're just waisting money and probably hurting performance as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I notice the difference between 86-87 and 93.

I stick with premium. It's not that much more and I feel the performance hit going to a lower octane.
You feel performance suffer by going to a lower octane? That's weird, lower octane makes more power....

We use Shell 89 and that's what the FZ-09 we developed a map for was tuned on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone else paranoid about paying for 91 one but thinking that the first gallon or two is going to be whatever the person before you used?

·
Registered
418 Posts
You feel performance suffer by going to a lower octane? That's weird, lower octane makes more power....

We use Shell 89 and that's what the FZ-09 we developed a map for was tuned on.
Lower octane will make more power up to a certain point. Higher compression combined with high rpm's and lower octane will make less power due to pre ignition. If your bike is tuned for 89 that's great. But most people tune for a little higher octane. The cushion of octane will be well worth the minimal power loss they may or may not have in the event of detonation. Ever blow a hole in or burn up a piston? Do it once and I promise you'll NEVER make that mistake again.

Reactions: djonkman

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone else paranoid about paying for 91 one but thinking that the first gallon or two is going to be whatever the person before you used?
Exactly why I buy the highest octane available as the hose is probably full of 87 , and dilutes the fuel anyway. I try and get the tank onto the last bar before I fill up to mitigate the dilution of premium fuel.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts