Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont confuse my question... the jerky throttle response I am ok with, I'm used to riding vtwins etc...

I'm curious if theres any way to create a "less loose" feel to the throttle grip. I feel like the grip is too loose, and when I hit bumps and stuff, it causes unintended blip in throttle etc...

My ducati just feels like it has a more positive engagement... its predictable etc... (undoubtedly higher quality components, but...)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Been reviewing a lot of suspension and cornering info lately and what comes to mind that you and your bike are a "system". The Ducati might be heavier, might have a better suspension compared to the FZ-09 and it could be that bumps translate into more unintended throttle blip on one bike than the other. In other words, it might not just be the throttle components.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
your ducati may have a stiffer throttle return spring.

you could try reducing throttle cable slack - the adjuster is a couple of inches downstream of the throttle covered by a rubber boot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can fix any side to side movement by removing / reinstalling the rubber throttle grip. Comes a little loose from factory, mine was instantly sorted when i fitted heated grips. Rotational movement (throttle slack) can be taken up by an in-line adjuster about 7" from the throttle.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
...the jerky throttle response I am ok with... ...when I hit bumps and stuff, it causes unintended blip in throttle etc...
I get the same thing and I believe it is caused by the snatchy throttle response. Hitting bumps causes very small throttle input changes, which is the sensitive part of the FZ's throttle map.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I generally ride with my index finger on the brake lever and pressure from my index finger determines the throttle position for the first 1/4 of the throttle. This prevents your wrist from screwing the throttle on-off over bumps.

Also make sure your elbows are bent and you are not gripping the handlebars too tight.

Remember handlebars are user inputs controls and NOT hand holds to link you to the bike. You are linked to the bike with your knees hugging the tank. If you use the handlebars to hold you on the bike you are exaggerating all your control inputs to the handlebars and are not nearly as smooth and controlled as you could be.

Reactions: eolith

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I generally ride with my index finger on the brake lever and pressure from my index finger determines the throttle position for the first 1/4 of the throttle. This prevents your wrist from screwing the throttle on-off over bumps.
I do exactly the same thing, with both hands. I feel it gives me a reference point. It definitely helps, for all but the nastiest bumps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will look into your suggestions... as far as throttle response... my ducati isnt much different at all (its downright bitchy)...
its that the grip is floating around... a little side to side motion and too easy to turn. I think playing with the adjuster will likely help. As far as remove/replace the rubber throttle grip... do you mean with another?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Folks are offering a lot of alternative ways to solve this, but is there a way to increase the spring tension on the rotational movement of the throttle itself?
I am sure you could find a tighter spring on another bike to put on the TPS or possibly even twist the existing TPS spring further to increase the spring tension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts