Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my FZ09, and my Victory Hammer, but for a while now I've been thinking about finding a used Suzuki Burgman. I don't think I would enjoy the 400, but the 650 has my interest, and I need to do some test rides. I enjoyed this review by Bryan. Anyone here have a Burgman?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
By the way, for those NOT familiar with the 650 Burgman, it uses an electronically controlled CVT, a wet clutch pack, and a sectional geared drive output. The CVT has three driving modes....auto, auto but with higher engine RPM's (called Power mode) and Manual which you push the up/down button to change CVT ratios. The clutch is operated by engine RPM, so that function is automatic too. The left lever is the rear brake, and the right level is front/rear brake. Tons of storage under the seat, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The 650 Burgman is a serious 2-up touring scooter weighing 611lbs wet.

I bought a 300cc Honda scooter for dense urban commuting (including prolonged lane-splitting) which weighed 40lbs less than the FZ-09 and kept it for 7 years. I would not have liked to put a 650 Burgman to the same use - too wide and heavy and way too conspicuous to park on a sidewalk. A 300cc scooter will sustain 60-65 mph with ease.

Whether a Burgman 650 is the right machine depends purely on how you intend to use it. I understand that the transmission is expensive to fix if it goes wrong, but I don't think there are any other weaknesses in the design.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2018 650 Burgman is slightly lighter, and skinnier than previous models, especially the early years. Some people say that Suzuki ruined it, taking away its true functionality since the under-seat storage is less and depending on helmet size might not fit two helmets at the same time. I sat on both the 2018 400 and the 650 side by side and they really didn't feel much different. Even the under-seat storage was not much different. My understanding is that Suzuki felt that the 650 needed to be sized down in order to compete with the smaller models in Asian countries where size matters and tight places are the norm.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Anyone here have a Burgman?
Not a Burgman, but a different scooter. My FZ-09 keeps company with a 2008 Yamaha Morphous in the garage. Purchased new in 2008 (last year imported for the US market), the Morphous is my first ride and, almost 48,000 miles later, still going strong. The 249cc engine provides quite modest power, but a very pleasant ride. Although maximum speed is close to 80 MPH, the riding experience seems to diminish beyond 72 to 74 MPH.

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-05.jpg

The photo is just after having the front wheel powder coated. Storage in North Carolina prior to my relocation interrupted similar work on the rear wheel. With rear tread now close to the wear bars, this winter looks great for both wheel and tire work.

A friend let me ride his Burgman 650, which was a very impressive machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My experience just comes from renting a Burg 400 when I was out in Hawaii. For a daily, I would have liked something smaller for zipping around, something like the Honda Forza. The Burg 400 will do wheelies though.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had an aprilia SRV 850

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a new Honda PCX 125.
Most FUN on two wheels I have ever had - and I have ridden nearly every motorcycle out there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts