Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a remote for mine but it rotates in my pocket sometimes or keys and such cover the button to where it's a PITA to try and activate. I'm wondering if someone's wired up a simple but clean remote to their bars. I was thinking something I could bolt on, maybe machined aluminum or something that would blend into the bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
LOL Sorry, After reading the rest of your post I understand what you are asking.
I haven't tried it but you could use anything from a go pro bar mount to any sort of clamp arrangement.
When I read the thread title all I could picture was someone using a set of bike tie downs-bars - connected to the overhead door. Hit the opener and you're ready to swap out the front tire, work on the forks,...Cool.
My mistake-I've spent to many hours out in the cold today

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I don't want something super bulky. I'm thinking more along the lines of a universal/programmable remote from Radio Shack or something that can clone my other remote, but stay permanently on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've seen guys take a regular G.D. remote and open it up and if you are decent at (or know someone that is) solder a couple of wires to the existing terminals inside the opener and extend them out of there to a waterproof momentary pushbutton mounted on the bars somewhere. With this method, the actual door opener can be hidden out of sight.....like maybe in one of the fake intake vents. Just a thought.

Reactions: JustWantToRide

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went with a simple approach to the garage door remote problem. I got a very small , single-button remote. I put in a tiny ziploc bag and used black duck tape over it to secure it in the indent on the black plastic piece at the front of the tank. It doesn't look terrible, it's really easy to use, and it cost me a grand total of $15 including the remote.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just took a garage door opener apart, did a little soldering, and installed a push button under the seat kind of near the license plate bracket. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Depending on the opener you should be able to tap this into your passing flasher switch and hit this to engage the door.
I did this on my last bike and it was by far the most convenient setup I've used. It worked great and nobody would've known it was there.

I have yet to do it on my 09 but it's on the list for a rainy day. Basically, you take an existing remote that works with your garage door opener and run the (+) battery terminal to the high beam flasher and (-) terminal to ground somewhere. When the flasher circuit is on, the remote circuit is on. This way it's only sending the "oh crap open the garage I'm being chased by the cops" signal when you have the high beam flasher pulled and the rest of the time it stays off. There's plenty of room in the side scoops to hide a remote in cleanly.

Here's an example of someone who did it but he might have gotten a little solder happy. It's easy to just keep the original plastic case to protect the internals, but you get the idea. He also tapped straight into the high beam wire which could result in your remote constantly sending out a signal but that also depends on the remote. Doing it directly into the flasher eliminates that problem. http://www.adrielhenderson.com/blog/2013/8/28/motorcycle-garage-door-remote

Each one is different but that's the general idea. When I get the motivation to do mine I'll take some pictures.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the main problems is the remote I currently have is for my apartment complex garage, not my own. So I have no idea what frequency or anything they transmit on. I know that my truck and roommate's car were able to learn and duplicate the signal, so I imagine anything similar should work for my bike.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I've seen guys take a regular G.D. remote and open it up and if you are decent at (or know someone that is) solder a couple of wires to the existing terminals inside the opener and extend them out of there to a waterproof momentary pushbutton mounted on the bars somewhere. With this method, the actual door opener can be hidden out of sight.....like maybe in one of the fake intake vents. Just a thought.
Did exactly this on my bike. Works great. Installed a small pusbutton switch in the empty slot of the left handlebar switch cluster.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I use outdoor numberpads for my garage doors. It is the most secure way, and I can access my doors anytime I want,bike or not.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. I live in a gated apartment complex so this would be for the main garage that goes under the whole building.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There is this, but it's made for your own personal garage.

F2P Technologies - Flash2Pass System for Motorcycle

Have you thought about sewing a small pouch in your pocket to hold just the remote in place?

Maybe make it so it's near the top of you pocket so it doesn't fall down and get mixed up with everything else in your pocket.

or you could hold it in place with some velcro?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My remote is on my house keys because it's also the electronic fob you swipe against pads next to doors to get into the pool, gym, doors, mail room, etc at my complex. So I can't just leave it in my jacket pocket or anything hence my need for a second system on my bike.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I don't trust garage door openers, to many times I've come home to an open garage. So I don't have one in the new house. I just get off my bike, unlock the door and walk the bike in.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My remote is on my house keys because it's also the electronic fob you swipe against pads next to doors to get into the pool, gym, doors, mail room, etc at my complex. So I can't just leave it in my jacket pocket or anything hence my need for a second system on my bike.
ok, is it a swipe style key fob to get into the main garage? or is it a push button remote for the garage?

If it is a push button remote, you might be able to pick up a programmable universal garage door remote. But if it is an older style garage door opener this may not work, and if it's a specific frequency, you might have trouble getting an off the shelf programmable universal remote to work.

If it is a swipe style key fob, then you are pretty much hooped. Unless you can get your hands on a second swipe key fob. If the fob is small enough you can insert it into the back of your glove or jacket sleeve, so it's there when you need it.

My work uses a swipe key fob system, and the key fob is about the size of a credit card. So all I do is keep the key fob in my wallet and swipe the lock with my wallet. If I am in my riding gear, I just need to get my pocket closes enough to the key fob lock to get it to open.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, is it a swipe style key fob to get into the main garage? or is it a push button remote for the garage?

If it is a push button remote, you might be able to pick up a programmable universal garage door remote. But if it is an older style garage door opener this may not work, and if it's a specific frequency, you might have trouble getting an off the shelf programmable universal remote to work.

If it is a swipe style key fob, then you are pretty much hooped. Unless you can get your hands on a second swipe key fob. If the fob is small enough you can insert it into the back of your glove or jacket sleeve, so it's there when you need it.

My work uses a swipe key fob system, and the key fob is about the size of a credit card. So all I do is keep the key fob in my wallet and swipe the lock with my wallet. If I am in my riding gear, I just need to get my pocket closes enough to the key fob lock to get it to open.
It's a push button type keyfob, not the credit card style swipe ones.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Look at the garage door opener and get the brand and model number.

Then go to Lowes and find a remote that will work with that brand and model.

Should cost about $25 or less.

Then follow instructions to program the new opener.

Once it works, then install it on your bike either remotely with a remote button like I did or mount it someplace out of the way like between the tank and the steering head or velcro it to the inside of your windshield (if you have one) or ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts