Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow riders,

I'm 6'2, riding is quite comfortable at 55-65 mph, but get up over 70 windblast is getting really tiring. Any suggestions? I like the look of the bike as is without any wind screen, but looks like I'll have to get one asap, but all the windscreen reviews I read don't seem to offer much wind protection. Will probably try one windscreen and if it doesnt work will have to consider trading it for a sportsbike, which I would hate to do. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I put ear plugs in, cheapest fix ever.

On the real though, I guess I am used to it after riding dirt for so long. I may end up getting the Yamaha screen though...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got the MRA touring screen- it helps a lot and looks pretty good (sorry I don't have pic to post yet)- but, it is a "naked" bike!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Puig Sport Screen......Makes a Big difference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just fitted a Givi screen. Very keenly priced and usual good Givi quality. Looks good on the bike. Will find out tomorrow if it works.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Puig sport works very well for me (5'11') and it also looks good, bike still looks sporty after the install.

No more pushing wind on the chest, arm stretching or else, air flow is directed at shoulder/head.

For the purists, changing for aftermarket handlebars does help fighting air flow by leaning more on it.

Did both and I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The Madstad wind screen system is a good way to be able to have various sizes and remove the screen completely if you want to quickly go back to a naked bike on a ride around town. It looks solid on the mounting bracket too.

Reactions: cza888 and Obijack

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you were on a supersport you would be in a tuck behind a small screen - better for high speed. If you were on a touring bike you would upright behind a big screen - long distance comfort. You can go either way on the FZ, just pick your style.

Note that when in a tuck on the FZ the mirrors are not useful.

Reactions: Steve101 and beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Most naked bikes don't protect you from the wind. As others have said if you're doing a lot of highway, a huge screen will likely be your only option to cut down significant wind but it makes the bike look ridiculous.

For a naked bike I actually think the aeros on this are quite good. If it's a deal breaker for you of suggest staying away from naked bikes.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That Madstad setup looks pretty damn slick to me, the fly screen is cool and if you ever need the touring screen you just swap it on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wouldn't get a sports bike if your thinking trade, go sport touring like FJR1300 or one of its competitors. Sounds like you do a lot of freeway riding. Might add a sport tourer myself in the future - just depends on what I need out of a bike. Right now, my 09 is all that :)

-Dave

·
Registered
420 Posts
MRA Touring works for me.
I also installed the MRA Touring (from Twisted Throttle) and I went from "hurting to hold on" above 80 mph to "everything is fine" to over 130. There are other threads that talk about the various fairings and I believe there are even a few pictures floating around.
Twisted Throttle has modified the mounting kits to the windscreen is now rock solid.

·
Registered
833 Posts
20140717_102528.jpg Not a frontal pic, but you get the profile. Puig Touring. Wind blast hits my helmet cleanly in the visor. Makes a huge difference not having the wind on the torso. YMMV

·
Registered
474 Posts
Reactions: BenCOfz09
1 - 20 of 47 Posts