Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

Registered
I'm sure that I was not the inly one that I was fighting with this phenomenon. Believe me that I tried everything. The Michelins helped a lot. I hope that the new will be solid at high speeds!
Although at 26.20 minute this guy?
Although all my past 09 all had steering dampers. I did 400kms on mine today & had no problems with no steering damper.

Registered
Put a deposit down here in Ireland for one and been told it will be arriving in 7-21 days 馃檭 I can wait but that's a 2 week gap so i think they are guessing

Registered
Put a deposit down here in Ireland for one and been told it will be arriving in 7-21 days 馃檭 I can wait but that's a 2 week gap so i think they are guessing
Congrats!

Feels like Tennessee is the last place on the planet to start receiving deliveries. And I feel like I chose the absolute worst dealership to put a deposit down. Last communication I had from them was at the end of April and they didn't provide any updates on the April orders they had and essentially told me I was lucky to even have a spot in line for a delivery. If my deposit wasn't non-refundable I'd be taking my business elsewhere. Worst experience I've ever had with a dealership.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I was in a similar situation. My original, local dealer was charging a boatload in fees, had horrible communication, and the sales guy was... not very congenial. Had a $500 "non refundable" deposit with them.

I found another dealer that would sell me the bike for $600 less than the first dealer, so even if I lost my $500 deposit from the first dealer I was still saving $100.

Anyways, I emailed the first dealership with a simple message, "My situation has changed and I can no longer buy the motorcycle. Because demand for the MT-09 is so high I was hoping to have my deposit refunded."

Got an email an hour later stating it was on its way back to me.

TLDR: Search around for a better price. You can't get what you don't ask for.

Registered
So nobody has taken delivery of an SP in the states? Also wondering how much in fees are dealers tacking on over the $10,999 MSRP (before taxes).

Registered
So nobody has taken delivery of an SP in the states? Also wondering how much in fees are dealers tacking on over the $10,999 MSRP (before taxes).
I can not understand the way you calculate the price in USA. What is the final price you pay for the simple model with the keys on hand?

Registered
It can not understand the way you calculate the price in USA. What is the final price you pay for the simple model with the keys on hand?
I varies as some states do not change sales tax but usually you have freight, set up, sales tax, registration. Some dealerships charge what is called doc fee. Not sure what it covers. Parking the semi at the doc?馃し Usually not more than $100

Registered
The most similar bike to the SP is the 890R, but the best price I found for one equipped with what the SP has (tech pack + cruise), would cost me $13,500, + TTL and $125, for a total of just north of $14,500. OUCH! My question is how much fees are you guys buying the SP in the states are getting tacked on (excluding $125 of doc fee, to compare apples to apples). The dealer here wants a grand, so the comparable price would be $12K, so still about $1.5K less than the Duke. The only big difference wit the Duke is its awesome brakes, and that the front forks are 43mm (vs 41 for the SP and regular 09). Oh, and it comes with solo and passenger hardware. But the rest is almost the same, with minor differences, like the KTM offering supermoto mode, etc. Finally, which bike is more likely to retain its value better? I don't mind spending a bit more, as long as I could get it back at resale.
I just sold my 890 Duke R which owned for the past year, for the twisties the 890 is way better bike than the 21 09SP.

Registered
I can not understand the way you calculate the price in USA.
Dealers like to tack on all kinds of fees, although very few don't. The main 3 are freight, assembly (only the mirrors need to be mounted), and doc fee, which is just an extra profit masked as a paperwork fee. Freight and assembly are typically bundled together, and they vary from $400 to $1,500, so as you can see, it's just a form of ADM (additional dealer markup). Doc fee can vary from $100 to $1,000, which is an insult to most. Ha ha. Basically dealers can charge whatever they want for the bikes. And yes, you can try to negotiate that down, but depends on the bike and time of year and month.

I just sold my 890 Duke R which owned for the past year, for the twisties the 890 is way better bike than the 21 09SP.
So you had both at the same time at some point? Thank you for that info, but may I ask why you decided to sell the Duke and keep the '21 SP? Really curious about that. And how do the 2 suspensions compare? Oh, and how about your approx weight without gear, for context? All you can elaborate on the differences would be greatly appreciated :). Thank you.

Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
...assembly (only the mirrors need to be mounted)...
That is incorrect. Here is a picture of my XSR in the crate...

As you can see, the front wheel and handlebars need to be installed by the dealer. But first, they have to remove it from the crate and lift it out (without damaging anything), prop it up on stands, remove the calipers, and then install the wheel and everything else. They also have to adjust the bar and controls to spec, hook up the battery, and check electrical functions. If they are especially attentive, they will wipe down the entire bike, including removing all the oily preservative residue, especially on the brake components. Some dealers will even give it a quick wax and put some fuel in the tank.

On a bike like the XSR/MT, I would expect at least an hour or two of labor to do all that. Some models require more or less work when they come out of the crate, and some dealers may just average the cost among all models, so that all buyers pay the same "assembly" fee. Others may figure out the exact fee for each different model.

In any case, dealers really don't make a whole lot of profit on new bikes, even selling at MSRP. I know people like to think dealer cost is so much less than MSRP, but it just isn't. And since you buy pretty much every piece of riding gear and all of your bike parts and accessories online now (come on, admit it), the dealer has to make his money somewhere in order to stay in business. Service is the main thing these days (since Amazon hasn't figured out how to service your bike online - yet), and "added markup" on sales is about the only other way.

Like every other business, they have to strike a balance between charging enough to make some money, and keeping prices down enough to keep customers returning.

Registered

View attachment 164567

As you can see, the front wheel and handlebars need to be installed by the dealer. But first, they have to remove it from the crate and lift it out (without damaging anything), prop it up on stands, remove the calipers, and then install the wheel and everything else. They also have to adjust the bar and controls to spec, hook up the battery, and check electrical functions. If they are especially attentive, they will wipe down the entire bike, including removing all the oily preservative residue, especially on the brake components. Some dealers will even give it a quick wax and put some fuel in the tank.

On a bike like the XSR/MT, I would expect at least an hour or two of labor to do all that. Some models require more or less work when they come out of the crate, and some dealers may just average the cost among all models, so that all buyers pay the same "assembly" fee. Others may figure out the exact fee for each different model.

In any case, dealers really don't make a whole lot of profit on new bikes, even selling at MSRP. I know people like to think dealer cost is so much less than MSRP, but it just isn't. And since you buy pretty much every piece of riding gear and all of your bike parts and accessories online now (come on, admit it), the dealer has to make his money somewhere in order to stay in business. Service is the main thing these days (since Amazon hasn't figured out how to service your bike online - yet), and "added markup" on sales is about the only other way.

Like every other business, they have to strike a balance between charging enough to make some money, and keeping prices down enough to keep customers returning.
Well in this case it literally is mirrors and a cpl of bolts in the handle bar clamp as well as the battery hook up. I just picked up my SP last Friday. If the set up person is thorough and maybe checks a few things, the process would take less than an hour . I would have been pissed if I had paid the 400 they normally charge for assembly. I have bought quite a few bikes from this dealer ,so i received a great deal on the bike and didn't have to worry about any of it .
I agree that business' are there to make money, but some things are excessive. normally there's 300 admin fees, 400 assembly and 500 PDI. all that plus txs (15pct) on top of the bike price . Other dealers i checked with where similar. It's lawyer prices/hr lol

Attachments

Registered
Well, it鈥檚 different everywhere, I guess. I鈥檝e never paid anywhere close to $400 for 鈥渟et-up鈥. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your dealer, and I do, too. That helps. And I guess they鈥檙e happy Yamaha is doing more of the work for them these days. I wonder how those larger crates are affecting the bottom line? Those new crates contain a lot more cubic feet of air than the older ones, and they have to pay to ship that air!

Still, it comes down to the same end: Dealers will charge what the market will bear, and if enough people think their fees are excessive, they鈥檒l stop buying, and the dealer will have to adjust, or go out of business.

Think of the iPhone. There鈥檚 no reason a phone should cost a THOUSAND dollars. But people keep buying them, so why should Apple drop their prices? And phones are actually kinda/sorta necessary these days. Nobody HAS to buy a motorcycle, so complaining about the out the door price is a little bit silly, isn鈥檛 it?

Registered
All fair enough. At the end of the day, if a buyer is happy with the bike, any disgruntlement will soon disappear...

Registered
Dealers like to tack on all kinds of fees, although very few don't. The main 3 are freight, assembly (only the mirrors need to be mounted), and doc fee, which is just an extra profit masked as a paperwork fee. Freight and assembly are typically bundled together, and they vary from $400 to $1,500, so as you can see, it's just a form of ADM (additional dealer markup). Doc fee can vary from $100 to $1,000, which is an insult to most. Ha ha. Basically dealers can charge whatever they want for the bikes. And yes, you can try to negotiate that down, but depends on the bike and time of year and month.

So you had both at the same time at some point? Thank you for that info, but may I ask why you decided to sell the Duke and keep the '21 SP? Really curious about that. And how do the 2 suspensions compare? Oh, and how about your approx weight without gear, for context? All you can elaborate on the differences would be greatly appreciated :). Thank you.
So can you give an example how much up and down an MT would cost? Fortunately in Europe the price is fixed and you pay extra the number plate and insurance.

Registered
I had the 890 for 9000kms 10 months, I get a new bike every year & now have the 2021 09SP.

890R rules in handing feels like a BMX between your legs, amazing brakes, weight, fuel consumption, much more mid range punch over the 09, just lacks the top end power of the 09 & reliability + cost a lot more than the 09sp. The 2021 09SP is the best 09 I have owned, the handling over the previous generation is remarkable the front end is now so sure footed, but the 890R is better.

I am 185cm & 100kg unkitted.

Registered
Hope you learned the lesson not to 'ass-u-me' :). I saw a video of a '21 MT-09 getting uncrated, before posting that.

The 2021 09SP is the best 09 I have owned, the handling over the previous generation is remarkable the front end is now so sure footed, but the 890R is better.
Thanks a lot for your mini-review :); greatly appreciated. Now the question is if the 890R is $2,300 better, which is approximately what you have to pay extra for an 890R with the tech pack and cruise, to make it comparable to the SP. Take care.

Registered
Okay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Here's what I paid for my '21 MT-09.

Code:
$ 9399 - Bike
$  475 - Freight & Setup
$  540 - State & County Tax (5% + 0.5%)
$  186 - Title & Registration (comes from Dept of Motor Vehicles, non-taxed)

$10600 - Total

Registered
Here's what I paid for my '21 MT-09.

Code:
$ 9399 - Bike
$  475 - Freight & Setup
$  540 - State & County Tax (5% + 0.5%)
$  186 - Title & Registration (comes from Dept of Motor Vehicles, non-taxed)

$10600 - Total
Thank you!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Another dealer closer to me in the same state tried to charge me $11,200+. I have no idea how they were coming up with the extra $600+...

For the two bikes I bought brand new I ended up traveling 45 to 125 miles to get the bike. It pays to shop around, even going with out of state dealers. It seems to me like dealers try to fleece their local customers as they consider them a captive audience. I originally thought it was related to dealers in small towns vs big metro area, but I got a quote from a dealer in the Chicago area for $10,038. That price didn't include tax or title and registration fees as it was across state lines; I would have had to go pay those at the Wisconsin DMV personally and with them it would have been $10,776 total.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts