Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I saw one today. It had crate damage on the tank, so dealer ordered a new one. Several scratches, but no dents. The headlight looks ultra cheap; highly disappointed at that. Just cheap plastic, and not even smooth; just crappy plastic. Looks 3rd rate. I was almost sure I'd end up liking it better than the 890 Dukes (normal and R), but the Dukes are definitely worth the difference IMO. I'm now deciding if the regular or R model. The Dukes have a perfectly balanced suspension, both sagging the same amount front and rear (890= 13/16", 890R= 9/16"), and the MT-09= 2/16"F, 12/16"R, and the preload looked basically at the minimum, so adding any more would make that balance even worse. Fit and finish is no contest. The only hit on the KTMs are the super crappy incandescent turn-signals. The 890 suspension is not adjustable, but everybody says it's superior to the MT-09 for sure. The R has adjustable compression and rebound, but no preload. I have no doubt the R would feel better in the twisties, but not sure if too stiff for my 165-lb frame (without gear) over broken pavement, or not too bad. That's what I'm trying to determine. At any rate, coming from an MT-10, was expecting to like the MT-09 better, but after scrutinizing them carefully for over an hour, I had to eliminate it. The main reason is it has the most aggressive knee bend of them all, and my old knees won't take that kindly. The KTMs, with no peg feelers, both have better cornering clearance, and better leg room, with the R with 1/2" more cornering clearance, and 1/2" more leg room than the 890, due to a 1" higher seat, but seat looks the same (and actually comfy). So will leave Yamaha for this round, folks. Hope I don't regret it. Ha ha.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I saw one today. It had crate damage on the tank, so dealer ordered a new one. Several scratches, but no dents. The headlight looks ultra cheap; highly disappointed at that. Just cheap plastic, and not even smooth; just crappy plastic. Looks 3rd rate. I was almost sure I'd end up liking it better than the 890 Dukes (normal and R), but the Dukes are definitely worth the difference IMO. I'm now deciding if the regular or R model. The Dukes have a perfectly balanced suspension, both sagging the same amount front and rear (890= 13/16", 890R= 9/16"), and the MT-09= 2/16"F, 12/16"R, and the preload looked basically at the minimum, so adding any more would make that balance even worse. Fit and finish is no contest. The only hit on the KTMs are the super crappy incandescent turn-signals. The 890 suspension is not adjustable, but everybody says it's superior to the MT-09 for sure. The R has adjustable compression and rebound, but no preload. I have no doubt the R would feel better in the twisties, but not sure if too stiff for my 165-lb frame (without gear) over broken pavement, or not too bad. That's what I'm trying to determine. At any rate, coming from an MT-10, was expecting to like the MT-09 better, but after scrutinizing them carefully for over an hour, I had to eliminate it. The main reason is it has the most aggressive knee bend of them all, and my old knees won't take that kindly. The KTMs, with no peg feelers, both have better cornering clearance, and better leg room, with the R with 1/2" more cornering clearance, and 1/2" more leg room than the 890, due to a 1" higher seat, but seat looks the same (and actually comfy). So will leave Yamaha for this round, folks. Hope I don't regret it. Ha ha.
Regret, maybe... but it'll be fun when it's working. I've onwed 15+ KTM road bikes... my 790s were, well, quirky....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
A friend picked up two '21 KTM 390 Dukes for him and his wife. They're loving them! No word on long-term reliability though.

The '21 890 Duke was the only other bike I was looking at vs the '21 MT-09. I knew I wanted the full electronics package (traction, slide, lift, cornering abs, quick shifter, ride-by-wire) and those were the only two in my price range that had them. However the opposite was true for me, I found the 890 to be visually undesirable. I also occasionally have a pillion and the MT-09's adjustable suspension and seemingly bigger back seat were added bonuses. That said, if I was going for pure performance and specs with no pillion or care for looks I'd likely go with the 890 Duke.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up mine today. Yes!!
That was a chilly ride home, we had some snow this morning :) but the weather will be good this weekend hopefully.

I only ride the beast for about 20km and I am doing the break in, so I will let you know what I think more in details later ... but for now I am very happy!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the bike.

Hey, do you know what the original ship date was for your bike? I'm wondering how long it took to get from Japan to you. Mine ships on the 27th and I'd love to know how long I should expect to wait!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the bike.

Hey, do you know what the original ship date was for your bike? I'm wondering how long it took to get from Japan to you. Mine ships on the 27th and I'd love to know how long I should expect to wait!
Thank you! Yes I am looking forward to drive that beast during the weekend.

I have no idea to be honest. I ordered one in January, but the communication with the dealership was really bad.
So I contacted that dealership, and they told me not to expect anything before 2022 for the MT-09 '21.

I was about to buy the 2020 with them, but I took 10 days to think about it. I was not quite sure..
Then I contacted them to see if the 2020 was still available, they told me no, but that they just received a 2021, that one wasn't expected at all. So I moved fast and take that one. I got lucky I think

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm wondering how long it took to get from Japan to you.
Something had to be going on with those bikes. The one I saw yesterday, literally just got there hours before, and it had a build date of 10/20. That's basically SIX MONTHS ago. That's crazy.

As far as looks between the dukes and MTs, I don't like either one. But dislike the MT-09 a little less. Having said that, the shroud surrounding the headlight is the cheapest plastic I've ever seen, and not even painted. Yamaha should have used at least smooth plastic, like my ex-MT-10 used to have. The insect-like snout of the Dukes is definitely not pretty IMO, but not horrendous either. Their light output at night is reportedly miles better than the MTs, but I rarely ride at night, so that wasn't a factor at all. It just felt big compared to the slim Dukes, and I got used to riding a modified SV650 (with great suspension), and it felt great to be on a light and narrow bike. I have no doubt the 890R handles better than the new 09, but the damn thing is also over $2,500 more expensive, so not really an apples to apples comparison. The 09 is definitely the better value. But with a more 'radical' leg room, my old knees wouldn't like it, and don't see how to remedy that without sacrificing cornering clearance (which I don't want). The 890R has both more cornering clearance than the 09, and more legroom, which is great. But yes, I absolutely worry about reliability on ANY of those 3 machines (890, 890R, MT-09), since the 09's engine is basically brand new. It's a year old on the Duke, but overall Dukes are less reliable than Yamahas, so reliability on a 2021 is going to be a crap shoot anyway. And yes, with my luck, I'd probably get a bad one of whichever bike I end up buying. Ha ha. I was starting to consider just buying my cousin's SV for waaaaay less than any of those 3, but I do really want the full suite of electronic safety features, and the up/down quick shifter, which you just cannot retrofit on an SV (for up/down QS you need TBW, and it's still mechanical on the SVs). Will let you know what I end up deciding. The dealer had quoted me just MSRP, and now they're tacking like $300 over that, so that's probably what will make me not buy one. I can obviously afford it, but man, I paid 10 grand even for a brand new MT-10 just 2 years ago, and now 13+ grand for a freaking 890R? It just hurts. Ha ha.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Starting to get real jealous of everyone that's been able to pick theirs up. Spoke to my dealer and was told that Yamaha confirmed an SP was coming to them, but didn't have any estimated shipping/delivery dates. I should probably try and forget about it in the meantime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didn't go for the MT-09, unfortunately, but if anybody is close to Las Cruces, NM (Las Cruces Motorsports), or want it shipped, they have a black one that got there Monday. It had scratches on the tank, but they immediately ordered a new tank, so it should be like new at anytime. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The wait is killing me.... dealer said they were taking delivery of a storm fluo this month when I put down the deposit mid-March. April is almost gone and no word from dealer on anything...

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,387 Posts
The wait is killing me.... dealer said they were taking delivery of a storm fluo this month when I put down the deposit mid-March. April is almost gone and no word from dealer on anything...
Again, this is not unusual, even in non-covid times. Just have to be patient. I ordered my XSR in Nov. of 2015, and it arrived in May. And I was not at all surprised. That’s just how it works...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've ordered a sp that was confirmed for delivery late April. Nothing yet I'm in Minnesota myself. Has anyone in the states gotten there 21 yet?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Just got word my bike shipped from Seattle today. Dealer estimates they should have it within 10 days. So hopefully it will be in my hands by the weekend of May 8th!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anybody in the US seen an SP yet? I think they were made after regular MT-09s, but for some reason, the supposedly fresh from the crate MT-09 I saw last week was built back in 10/20. The KTMs (built in Austria) were 02/21. What's up with that? A recall or something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven't seen any new MT-09s up in New England, let alone SPs.

Looks like there was a recall having to do with the front brake switch, but I don't know if that would have caused this big of a delay/ communication issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm sure there had to be a serious enough issue to delay shipments, since there's no logical reason to wait 6 freaking months. And it doesn't take that long from Japan to the US (no Suez canal delays). It's not a bad idea to wait for the second batch, since those arriving now are the very first ones made, and the most likely to have engine issues. That doesn't mean they will, but are the most likely, due to being the first ones made. Happens to everybody nowadays, in the age of customer beta-testing. Ha ha.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,387 Posts
I'm sure there had to be a serious enough issue to delay shipments, since there's no logical reason to wait 6 freaking months.
And I guess this is a product of the age of I Want Everything F***ing Right Now!

“Hey, cool new bike! I’d like to buy one. What? I might have to wait for it?! Not interested...”

🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
40 Posts
And who the hell said they wanted the bike 'right now'? I said it took 6 months to get here after production, which any way you look at it is NOT NORMAL, period. Production date should have been 2/21, like all other bikes getting around this time. Something happened that cause that delay; that's what some of us would like to know what that was :).

·
Registered
7 Posts
And I guess this is a product of the age of I Want Everything F***ing Right Now!

“Hey, cool new bike! I’d like to buy one. What? I might have to wait for it?! Not interested...”

🤦🏻‍♂️
Moreso an issue with poor communication, like elp_jc wrote. When the manufacturer says a bike will be available in March (for the SP, at least) and here we are going into May with none to be found, it's reasonable for people to be upset.

Add in the manufacturer date on some of the base models being 6 months ago and even those still aren't readily available, it gets frustrating.

This isn't an issue of "people today are so wrapped up with instant gratification", it's manufacturers not sticking to their word or being transparent with regards to updates.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts