Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
I settled for the black, but I will have to paint it and make some serious changes as it's a depressing looking bike for a naked imho.
Be fine if I was all Emo and woe is me, but no.
Haha, I normally go for mostly black and charcoal everything. But seeing the MT-09 in black I felt that all of the interesting details that make it unique were muted or hidden by the solid black livery. Plus, how could I not go for the bike with red rims!

Good luck with the paint / wrap job! I'm interested to see how it turns out!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Yep, Picked it up yesterday near Houston. Went out and rode 295 miles.

Did 20 miles into the last bar of the fuel guage, stopped for gas but still had over a gallon in the tank. No worries.

Tried to get some corners in but had too much traffic, 2 State Troopers, Constables, and Texas Rangers in the woods. Decided not to pass on double yellow.

Got the ABS light to come on in the dirt.:D

Many thanks to Texas Yamaha South for making it happen, it really was a pleasure. Plus they have an RZ in the shop.

Transmission smoothed out after 30 miles or so. Quick shifter is snickety slick but I still prefer my own downshifts.

Oil change this weekend maybe.

Lastly, got to ride my motorcycle home in the rain. No pic, just wet clothes. (y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep, Picked it up yesterday near Houston. Went out and rode 295 miles. View attachment 166237
Did 20 miles into the last bar of the fuel guage, stopped for gas but still had over a gallon in the tank. No worries.
View attachment 166238
Tried to get some corners in but had too much traffic, 2 State Troopers, Constables, and Texas Rangers in the woods. Decided not to pass on double yellow.
View attachment 166239
Got the ABS light to come on in the dirt.:D
View attachment 166242
Many thanks to Texas Yamaha South for making it happen, it really was a pleasure. Plus they have an RZ in the shop.
View attachment 166243
View attachment 166245
Transmission smoothed out after 30 miles or so. Quick shifter is snickety slick but I still prefer my own downshifts.
View attachment 166244
Oil change this weekend maybe.
View attachment 166246
Lastly, got to ride my motorcycle home in the rain. No pic, just wet clothes. (y)
Congrats! Nice bike and brings back some memories. I used to live in Houston and ride out 10 to Sealy and ride FM1458 and other roads back in the day. Left in 1993 for Austin, but still have lots of la familia in the area.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to look for 1458. Took 71 thru Bastrop when we did a remodel in Round Rock. Better riding in your neck of the woods. (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is moved to the first half of August now, this is a true test of my patience lol.. I at least got to ride the SP version at a demo day this weekend, looking forward to getting my own in.. hopefully this year.
Have you heard anything from your dealer? I'm in MA and haven't had luck getting dates from mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally getting my MT-09 SP 2021 this week. Deposit paid on May 10 and they said around August and as per they said getting 05 May.
in between update was very bad and they don't have any idea.
when I order SP - normal version was available in stock only SP need to wait.
from Hong Kong

·
Registered
26 Posts
The problem is not on the shops, they don't have the info neither.

I am getting my 09sp at the end of august, ordered two weeks ago. In Seville, Spain.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well after what seemed like forever, I finally got my hands on a 2021 MT-09 SP on July 30. After being strung along by a dealership for a regular MT-09, an SP became available at another dealer so I pulled the trigger. I've been riding a GS500 for the last 9 years so figured it was time for an upgrade. Figured I would share by thoughts on the new bike.

The bike is stunning. I originally was set on the Ice Fluo colour, but seeing the SP in person has won me over. I also think the contentious headlight fits this bike perfect and looks amazing in person. I've put about 500km on the bike so far and think the quickshifter and cruise control are game changing coming from my old GS500. The stock exhaust also sounds phenomenal and the triple is miles better then the parallel twin in my GS500. The SP suspesion is also far suprior then what was on my GS500. So far I've put on the Yamaha tank protectors, comfort seat, EvoTech Radiator guard and axle sliders. I have the OEM Yamaha engine guards however the kit is missing a part so waiting for that to come in before installing.

Once I got home from the dealership, I set the chain slack according to the owners manual, which thankfully appears way more reasonable then the previous generation's owners manual spec which sparks great debate for being to tight. One downside is the bike now requires 3.2L for an oil change. Thanks Yamaha for making us have to buy 4L for an oil change now. Overall I'm super happy with the bike and can't wait to complete the break in period so I can really open her up.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
70 Posts
Well after what seemed like forever, I finally got my hands on a 2021 MT-09 SP on July 30. After being strung along by a dealership for a regular MT-09, an SP became available at another dealer so I pulled the trigger. I've been riding a GS500 for the last 9 years so figured it was time for an upgrade. Figured I would share by thoughts on the new bike.

The bike is stunning. I originally was set on the Ice Fluo colour, but seeing the SP in person has won me over. I also think the contentious headlight fits this bike perfect and looks amazing in person. I've put about 500km on the bike so far and think the quickshifter and cruise control are game changing coming from my old GS500. The stock exhaust also sounds phenomenal and the triple is miles better then the parallel twin in my GS500. The SP suspesion is also far suprior then what was on my GS500. So far I've put on the Yamaha tank protectors, comfort seat, EvoTech Radiator guard and axle sliders. I have the OEM Yamaha engine guards however the kit is missing a part so waiting for that to come in before installing.

Once I got home from the dealership, I set the chain slack according to the owners manual, which thankfully appears way more reasonable then the previous generation's owners manual spec which sparks great debate for being to tight. One downside is the bike now requires 3.2L for an oil change. Thanks Yamaha for making us have to buy 4L for an oil change now. Overall I'm super happy with the bike and can't wait to complete the break in period so I can really open her up.

Make sure to get that suspension set for you, you got some good stuff under you. It just needs to be a lil stiffer lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I struggle with whether to recall my deposit on the SP that doesn't seem to be happening, I'm trying to make an informed decision. Can anyone tell me what the default spring rate is, or give me the numbers off the Ohlins spring on their SP? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As I struggle with whether to recall my deposit on the SP that doesn't seem to be happening, I'm trying to make an informed decision. Can anyone tell me what the default spring rate is, or give me the numbers off the Ohlins spring on their SP? Thanks in advance.
It's possible it is used on other models that are ohlins equipped. I'll see if I can come up with a rate for you.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
70 Posts
Uh, I can't read anything on the spring. At the bottom it says "629" and I'm pretty sure it's an STX46 rear shock from Ohlins but, I don't actually know.

Edit : For the previous year it is the YA535 from Ohlins which is still an STX46 shock.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 SP (If it ever shows up)
2 Posts
Pre-Ordered my SP back in June for a July delivery, since been delayed to September as of a few days ago. Frustrating, but it is what it is. Some other Michigan dealers are saying they won't see them until October. I rode one at a demo day and all i can say is wow. I was blown away by how smooth the bike rode, the suspension just soaked up bumps and felt super planted. I was not expecting the ride to be so nice. Its going to be a great upgrade from my ninja 400, well worth the wait.

As for pricing, I went to a smaller dealer which may be the reason i am having more trouble getting the bike. but their fees were low unlike the larger dealers. i got mine set for $12k out the door (tax, title, doc, and $430 Yamaha delivery included), so not too bad considering sales tax would be $660, by itself.

Very excited to compare the SP to my buddy's XSR900 and see the differences. Planning on some long rides and track days in the future. I just hope i get it before the snow comes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You did pretty good; basically MSRP, plus $199 doc fee, which is what my small dealer would charge me as well, so super close to 12 grand all said and done, after 6.25% tax, plus title and license fees. But yeah, who knows when they'll get theirs. Very few delivered around here, with a build date of May 22, so that's good. The first ones had a build date older than 6 months, so who knows what the heck happened.

I'd also like to know the spring rates F/R of both the SP and 890R, to compare them, but nobody seems to have that info. And with no test rides, it'll be a surprise. Ha ha. At least hope a pleasant one, like the poster above. I'm about 165 in shorts, so I'd say probably the target weight for the suspension. We'll see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have been looking for an MT09 for a few months and found a number of them but the dealers are charging ridiculous add on prices like $1,300. for shipping or $1,000. for set up and I just wasn't willing to pay those prices. I'm in Georgia and the dealers around here are like that. I went to Yamaha's web site looking at inventory near me and found two dealers in North Carolina that were supposed to have a bike. One was on the high side but didn't yet have the bike and the other had one coming real soon and had the bike basically at MSRP and while I was on the phone the truck pulled up with the bike in the crate. We agreed on the price and I gave him a deposit over the phone and told him I would pick up the bike the next day which is today. He called me back to say someone had put a deposit on the bike a while back but got tired of waiting and got his deposit back a couple of weeks ago. He also saw the bike was due in and called the dealer yesterday to say he would take the bike. The dealer who has some great integrity told him sorry but someone "me" had given him a deposit and he would honor that deal. I'm sorry if that person is a forum member but I'm glad the dealer stuck to his word and I picked up the bike today after making the 150 mile trip to get it.
Dealers name is Harper's Yamaha in Hendersonville NC,

201 - 220 of 225 Posts