Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pre-order in SE Wisconsin for the first delivery of '21 MT-09's and the dealer informed me the only ETA they have from Yamaha is "APRIL". Anyone hear anything more concrete than that?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a pre-order in SE Wisconsin for the first delivery of '21 MT-09's and the dealer informed me the only ETA they have from Yamaha is "APRIL". Anyone hear anything more concrete than that?
I was at the local shop today asking about the new MT09 and Tracer 9 GT and was told by the owner that they don't know when they will be arriving but expect it to be later in the Spring than originally planned. He said they were having a hard time getting inventory period, as I looked around, I noticed the showroom was half full at best.

Last year they were selling the Tenere 700 as fast as they could get them and would re-order and then sell out again, this year they put in a request for 30 Tenere 700's over the next 6 months and were told not to expect any. Infact he said they were going to have a demo days this year but don't have the inventory to sell in support of a demo event so they cancelled it this year.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Honda stopped manufacturing as well as Samsung because materials are becoming a premium to come by.
DJI (drone manufacturer) stopped its production of there new FPV drone. I firmly believe it’s a matter of procuring the components

Reactions: semize and MK3Brent

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm a product development eng. mgr, working in manufacturing. I can confirm material unavailability has caused a lot of suppliers to temporarily shut down or claim force majeure. We're all sorta hunkering down and taking what we can get for a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bugger, that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping between Yamaha's high-end motorcycle production being in Japan (better covid response) and closer to the chip supply chain they might be having better luck compared to US manufacturers. But if all materials are affected that poorly, who knows...

I read they're ramping up factories and production in their other factories in Asia outside Japan, but those focus on smaller cc bikes for the Asian market. Probably don't have anywhere near the electronic parts or special materials needs that the higher-end motorcycle lineup needs.

@Moto26 You just made my morning!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Same applies here in Oz to new car deliveries of most if not all brands. I have been unable to get my hands on the new car I wanted, and there's an indefinite wait for them, and most others. Had to make-do with a slightly-used (<300km) demonstrator of a close relative and not-too-shabby alternative.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Motorbike manufacturers face peculiar new challenges in 2021 | MCN (motorcyclenews.com)

Another compounding factor:
Yamaha’s caution over shipping containers reflects a problem that’s hitting industries all over the globe. An increase in demand for goods – particularly gadgets from China – along with lockdowns leaving empty containers stuck in Europe and America has seen prices soar.

In the last four months, the cost of a 40ft container from Asia to Europe has more than tripled, with reports that a standard 40ft container, priced at around £1400 last year, can now cost £6000 or more. There have even been reports of cartel-like behaviour, with some operators asking in excess of £10,000 per container.

·
Registered
921 Posts
For example, I do PA6/66 plastic injection molding and some PO's for resin have been pushed out to DECEMBER 2021. Suppliers like DuPont can't even promise material will be available then. So lots of plastic and foam suppliers are all lacking some raw chemicals for their production, so it hits all of them. Also wood... wood has been an absolute nightmare to get.

I wouldn't be surprised if other plastic molded parts are holding up a lot of production for the bikes and cars.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A big one is a matter of chip shortages...with everything we own and consume nowadays requiring some form of computing processing power, chip shortages are ramping up supply chain issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm a logistics manager in the injection molding business as well. Force majeure is a real thing lately. I can see this snowballing into component delays for any company in manufacturing going forward.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As a COO for an OEM in the manufacturing industry I can tell you as the price of steel started to escalate many companies started stock piling which created a shortage of commonly available steel. Mills were guaranteeing quotes for a week or less which caused panic buying and further driving prices up. Add to that the shipping issues and you have the recipe for what’s going on. Hard to get raw materials, delayed shipments to and from manufactures, and let’s not even talk about customs delays now.

·
Registered
881 Posts
On top of all that, I read yesterday that shippers have lost more containers already this year than any other year on record.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello guys,

I am new here. Name is Simon.
I am also waiting for my 2021. My dealer in Montreal told me in March, then now in April.

I called two other dealers out of curiosity, and one told me in one year, the other one this summer...

Hopefully that will arrive soon.

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too am in SE WI and just this afternoon placed a deposit on a '21 MT-09 SP, and I was told as of today they have 2 on order (that's all Yamaha will let them order). The one I placed a deposit on is supposed to arrive some time in July, the 2nd one is not supposed to arrive until October. It may or may not be easier to get a standard MT-09, but it didnt sound like those models had much more availability either.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, hopefully it arrives earlier than the Tracer 9 GT, things aren’t necessarily looking good for 2021 Tracer availability. My buddy has had a deposit down on a Tracer 9 GT since the beginning of the year and the dealer just called him and said they don’t know when or even IF they will get one this year, and told him they were refunding his deposit. He tried another dealer and they said the same, - IF they get one, it might be July but they weren’t feeling too positive about it.
How often to dealers call and insist on giving you your deposit money back?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pre-ordered the SP version in november, the latest date my dealer gave me (in Denmark) was 15-20th of april. They said that they don't think the mt-09's was on the evergreen ship, but yamaha DO have containers on the ship. The new Tracers might be in these containers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put an order in at my local dealership (MT09SP) back in Jan/Feb, but they haven't been very forthcoming. I just got off the phone with Yamaha and they weren't able to give me much more information.

No concrete dates, neither really wanted to give me estimates either. The Yamaha rep I spoke to couldn't find a single SP in the states, so seems like they're still delayed.

Only advice I was given was to have my dealer call the Yamaha Order desk and try to get more info there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
They are probably stuck at the bottom of the Suez canal

Reactions: killza_1290
1 - 20 of 43 Posts