Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried getting info on what other ECU reflashes are available but the thread turned into a Stoltec ECU memorial instead. I decided to contact Flash Tune since I couldn't get answers from anyone.

I spoke with Kirk at flash tune and he assures me that I will be happy with their flash. The only issue I have is I don't want to change my exhaust and they only offer a generic slip on & full exhaust option. He said I can use the slip on option & still run the stock exhaust without any issues. He said if I decide to add a slip on down the road then I will get a power increase. To me that sounds like its going to run richer than it should using the stock exhaust.

I wanted to see if anyone is running Flash-tunes reflash & if they are are they using the stock exhaust. It looks like for me my options are run flash tunes file & deal with the richer running bike or find a dyno tuner. I'm seriously considering the latter but wanted to see if anyone is currently running this setup.

If this is breaking any rules or if the mods feel I need to drop the ECU subject completely please feel free to delete this post & I'll drop the subject. Im just trying to figure out a solution for those of us who missed the boat on Stoltecs flash but still want a solution to the fueling issue with these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I am going to move it over to the "Performance" section for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had my ECU flashed by Flash Tune.

I certainly would have gone with Stoltec - but was too impatient to wait a week for shipping both ways - so I just drove down to Flash Tune (hour drive for me) and was back riding the same day. I was happy to see an FZ09 test bike sitting in their shop when I went inside.

I can not compare it to the Stoltec flash at all as I have never ridden a bike with it, but I am very happy with the Flash Tune flash on my bike. I put on a Ti Akra at the same time, so I don't have any time with it and the stock exhaust. I am sure the fueling options are not nearly as refined with Flash Tune as compared to the Stoltec options (if you have one of their selected exhausts).

The basics of the flash do make a huge difference is terms of smoothing out the off/on throttle response for me when riding the canyons. I really wish I had done it sooner - but I was waffling on which exhaust to get.

I highly recommend getting the ECU flashed - if you can still get it into Nick in time, go for it - especially if you have one of the selected exhausts. If you can not get it to them in time, you will be happy with the Flash Tune option.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kirk. Greatly appreciate the feed back. When you went down to their facility did you need to make an appointment? Im 5 1/2 hrs away but I do have some vacation time that I need to use so I might just ride over and get it done. The seat sucks but maybe a sheep skin or air hawk might be good enough to get me there and back.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did call them first to make sure I could come down and they would be there.
You can certainly ship it to them as well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did call them first to make sure I could come down and they would be there.
You can certainly ship it to them as well.
I'll ask Kirk with flash tune about heading over. I could ship it but it would be more fun to make a trip out of it I think.

·
Registered
52 Posts
To me that sounds like its going to run richer than it should using the stock exhaust.
Air/Fuel mixture should be maintained by the O2 sensor reading the oxygen in the exhaust. No different that riding at high altitude. The ECU should adjust the fuel injection to compensate for the amount of air.

I've always wondered why motorcycles don't have a MAF sensor. Seems like taking the reading at the exhaust would always have the ECU behind the curve.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thanks for making this thread. I hadn't checked in on the Stoltec ECU thread for a few days and had missed the drama. I've been waiting on my Arrow exhaust to come in so I could decide between with or without baffle option, but this forced my hand a bit and went ahead and placed my order today. I figure I'll go w/baffle since I don't like obnoxious loud pipes.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've always wondered why motorcycles don't have a MAF sensor. Seems like taking the reading at the exhaust would always have the ECU behind the curve.
it is, that's why the o2 sensor is only used at small throttle openings/lowish rpm's, i.e. cruising. and it's used to lean out the mixture to maximize fuel economy. when you get on the throttle, the fi system is running in open loop mode.

bikes are years behind cars in terms of engine management.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm running the Flash-tune with PCV and Graves Exhaust. I recommend running custom fuel maps through a secondary fuel controller like PCV for your exhaust.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just talked with Kirk at flash tune. Looks I'm heading to California next month to get my reflash done. :cool:

Either going to ride over on my FZ or bring the ECU with me & hit the beach with my wife & kid afterwards.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just talked with Kirk at flash tune. Looks I'm heading to California next month to get my reflash done. :cool:

Either going to ride over on my FZ or bring the ECU with me & hit the beach with my wife & kid afterwards.

Just to make sure there is no confusion - the Kirk at Flash Tune is not me, no affiliation whatsoever - I am just an FZ09 rider who happened to use them for a flash and happen to have the same first name. Kirk was the main guy doing the flashing when I was in their shop.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to make sure there is no confusion - the Kirk at Flash Tune is not me, no affiliation whatsoever - I am just an FZ09 rider who happened to use them for a flash and happen to have the same first name. Kirk was the main guy doing the flashing when I was in their shop.
Haha, yeah you are Kirk "B", he is Kirk "D". I knew you weren't him when you replied to this thread. Thanks again for replying to this thread. Greatly appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Did you dyno your bike to come up with your custom map?
Yes, My fuel maps were developed by Chuck Graves and throttle maps by Flash Tune. Shortly after my FlashTune maps were finished, I took the bike back to Chuck, he rode it and gave the new throttle map his blessing. So yeah, she's running like a champ!

fyi.. I heard Chuck got his hands on an FZ-07 recently.

Reactions: CB024 and CD599

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, My fuel maps were developed by Chuck Graves and throttle maps by Flash Tune. Shortly after my FlashTune maps were finished, I took the bike back to Chuck, he rode it and gave the new throttle map his blessing. So yeah, she's running like a champ!

fyi.. I heard Chuck got his hands on an FZ-07 recently.
Cool. I really don't want an exhaust because I like how quiet my stock exhaust is. I'm just going to have Flash Tune reflash mine and if I decide later that I want an exhaust I'll pick up a PCV & check out Graves.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Cool. I really don't want an exhaust because I like how quiet my stock exhaust is. I'm just going to have Flash Tune reflash mine and if I decide later that I want an exhaust I'll pick up a PCV & check out Graves.
I'm in a similar boat exhaust wise. I don't like putting aftermarket pipes on anything I buy just because I like them quiet. The flash I get is going to be configured for stock pipes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm in a similar boat exhaust wise. I don't like putting aftermarket pipes on anything I buy just because I like them quiet. The flash I get is going to be configured for stock pipes.
Who are you going to use for your flash?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
the ECU flash will make a world of difference with or without the exhaust. Should be on top of everyone's mod list. It makes the bike that much more enjoyable to ride.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts